Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2010, 11:34 PM
Rookie

Default few questions. concerning haf932 SLi, psu, ram.

I ordered the Haf932 because it seemed so sweet to me at first! and don't get me wrong, it still does..
but my first concern was dust. it has NO DUST FILTERS! wtf?

the next concern was ability to go 3-way sli.

mobo: asus rampage iii formula, which can go 3way sli, as well as the icing on the cake, a gtx580.

now its a little insane, i know, but i hope to eventually one day go 3way SLi. not tomorrow, but someday.

i planned ahead and got a 1000w psu (SILVERSTONE 1000-P). errr, was it stupid to save 100$ and not go corsair?

can i fit 3 gtx580s in a HAF 932? Should i RMA it for a HAF X? the extra cost of the haf-x doesnt bother me, but if I have to pay some insane shipping it would. and i actually like the look of the 932, despite the hazing it has gotten from some. it even has that compartment for putting ur cellphone or mp3 player on!

so, if the 932 cant go 3-way sli, I will definitely return it, i will. if the haf X is that much better (especially for dust) i will also do it. what do you gurus think?

also, i havnt decided over mushkin blackline 12GB (3 x 2gb 1600 9-9-9-24) or corsair dominator (3 x 2GB 1600 7-8-7-20) RAM. which would be superior for gaming, they are same price? and will i ever need to have 24GB of ram, or will i make due with 12GB for the foreseeable future? and am i mistaken in believeing i can put in 12Gb of the corsair? is there dual slots for the ram, making 6 total, or am i mistaken? when getting the extra ram, should it be identicle? what if the timing is different?

thanks! for answering my noob questions and all...
and also... happy holiday!get drunk and make out with your cousin!
Old December 20, 2010, 11:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

I've got my 932 for more than 2 years now and dusts do not bother me. As long as you regularly blow it off everything should be fine and dandy.

Though I don't do any sort of SLI, I believe it will fit for your planned tri-SLI. I don't do gaming so I can't answer your questions about the RAM.

Old December 20, 2010, 11:56 PM
Rookie

well, as an aside, gaming is not a MUST when considered everything. Basically, is timing more important than total memory size for most tasks? and with this mobo, can i have up to 6 pieces of ram?
Old December 21, 2010, 12:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It appears the rampage 3 formula and the haf932 would work for tri-sli (7 expansion slots in the haf 932). The haf-x is nice but not worth going out of you way returning things for.

As for memory 6gb is enough for today's extreme users, I don't see 12gb being used by a home machine anytime soon. It's best to buy all your memory at once as the same model may be discontinued before you get a chance to buy more. For the the system to port your memory must be identical voltage, timings and multiplier which is why it's best to not mix and match.

The corsair dominator is going to be better with the tighter timings but the mushkin may overclock better, personally I'd go with what is cheaper. (mushkin silverline 3x4gb for $120?)

For ram performance as long as you have enough the speed and timings barely impact performance. the difference between 1333 and 1600 is not noticeable and 1-3% improvement at best, tighter timing are said to give a system more 'snappy' feel but again I would call it completely unnoticeable.

Last edited by jibz; December 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM.