Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Hey, Hardware Canucks. I could use some help. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/39057-hey-hardware-canucks-i-could-use-some-help.html)

TheStealthyOne December 19, 2010 03:28 PM

Hey, Hardware Canucks. I could use some help.

Alright.

I'm in the process of picking parts for my computer (which I'll be ordering soon), and I could use some tips and criticism.

Already have:

NZXT Phantom (White)

Seasonic X-750 (Got it for an amazing price)

G.Skill (2X2) kit.

Need:

Biostar TA890FXE (Not sure about brand, preferably a red, quality motherboard)

6870 DirectCu

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Spinpoint F3 500GB

Lite-On DVD Drive

Windows 7 64-bit

and a heatsink that's in the 30-50 dollar range, shorter than 155 mm, and can mount horizontally on AM3.

I will be running at 1680X1050 (slightly overkill on graphics, but eh, I may upgrade later)

Help will be greatly appreciated!

YoungMan December 19, 2010 03:31 PM

Speaking from experience, Biostar has one of the worse RMA departments EVER. Very slow, poor communication, and didn't even fix the problem that it was RMA'd for. I would recommend you avoid them at all costs.

The CM Hyper 212 is a great cooler, look into that one.

TheStealthyOne December 19, 2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungMan (Post 464454)
Speaking from experience, Biostar has one of the worse RMA departments EVER. Very slow, poor communication, and didn't even fix the problem that it was RMA'd for. I would recommend you avoid them at all costs.

The CM Hyper 212 is a great cooler, look into that one.

Yea, I've had friends who generally had trouble with their boards.

I dunno... the only other red-themed 890FX (I'd also settle with GX) is the Crosshair IV, which is just too expensive.

I'd also buy the ECS 890GX A-2 one (White and black) but you literally can't find it anywhere.

draemn December 19, 2010 04:22 PM

Already have:

NZXT Phantom (White) - LOVE IT, I got this case, although I wish it was better quality for a bit more $...

Seasonic X-750 (Got it for an amazing price) - Always a + to buy quality PSUs

Need:

Biostar TA890FXE - NO! I'd spend a bit more on a better mobo, not being an AMD buyer, can't suggest.

6870 DirectCu - Great price/performance GPU. What brand?

Spinpoint F3 500GB - Get something with 32MB cache instead of 16. It won't cost much more for a nice performance boost.

Windows 7 64-bit - Professional or Home premium? Home premium if money is tight.

and a heatsink that's in the 30-50 dollar range, shorter than 155 mm, and can mount horizontally on AM3. - I bought a Scythe mugen 2 Rev. B, which is 153mm (I think) and only had room for a 20mm side fan (just barely fits with the fan filter installed).

TheStealthyOne December 19, 2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draemn (Post 464475)
and a heatsink that's in the 30-50 dollar range, shorter than 155 mm, and can mount horizontally on AM3. - I bought a Scythe mugen 2 Rev. B, which is 153mm (I think) and only had room for a 20mm side fan (just barely fits with the fan filter installed).

It's 158 mm, but based on what you're saying I guess it works!

hm...... could you take a pic and show me? :thumb:

Also, ASUS makes the 6870, and Home Premium for 7. Why specifically should I go for professional?

xlilmissmjx December 19, 2010 05:39 PM

If your going for the red/black theme then your only quality choice is the Asus Crosshair IV Formula or Extreme, which sell for $210 & $300 respectively. Otherwise I would recommend the Asus M4A89TD/Pro USB3 or Gigabyte's GA-890FXA-UD5 for $175 & $180 respectively.

If you don't mind taking a small performance hit in graphics, drop down to the 6850 so u can put the savings towards the motherboard. Later on you could get a 2nd 6850 to put in CrossFire to enjoy increased performance. I always recommend XFX when buying AMD cards as they have great customer service & warranties :thumb:

As for Win 7, just stay with Home Premium, it suits most users just fine :biggrin:

Good luck with your build and enjoy the new machine :thumb:

punk_zappa December 19, 2010 06:38 PM

I hope this will not persuade you to buy a Biostar board.

I have 3 Biostar boards, P35, P45 and an AMD 790 and everything is working as advertised. I had to RMA the 790 but that was my own fault and they cannot duplicate the issue I was having and sent back FedEx. Their support is pretty much one-a-day replies so I wouldn't say they have a bad support.

Same goes to every brand name there is - YMMV.

_dangtx_ December 19, 2010 07:01 PM

been using biostars for the longest while, were my fav before giga made cheaper oc'ing boards.

few issues, way less than assus for exemple. built me bud several machines, not one asus stands, all the biostar still working 24/7 years later. same everything else. :)