Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

One of the pictures from my profile album here at Hardware Canucks:

...larger versions at my RoG Forums profile: Republic of Gamers Forum

Last edited by Jeff1961; January 13, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old September 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I suppose benchmark info would be best...but i'm just a poser and don't even know half of what this mobo can do.

So...it looks like my days of endless troubleshooting are over. Hopefully this system has decided i've paid my dues and will be stable.

It was only 6 weeks ago I finally laid to rest the gpu-dvi port issue.

I've given up on my razor mouse months ago and now use a $20 one. It decided to work perfectly at the store as well...and on my old computer for about a month. But for some reason the cursor just disappears...99% of the time. Now I see the occasional oddity where the cursor arrow turns in to a vertical bar...but still works.
I wasn't impressed with the response from Razor. Or was it that I was too impatient from everything else that was going on...or both?

I've accepted the fact that most of the time my razor keyboard makes it impossible for me to see the alternate keys...as they are painted on so lightly and my home has bad lighting. I still fantasize about replacing it with a SteelSeries keyboard though.

The bsod battle in the first two weeks has stayed stable after the driver update.

The odd little message I got about bluetooth has vanished. I don't use bluetooth so...

The issue whereby I tell Win7 to disconnect an external device...and it does it...but the devices are still running...is still there, but I have not patience to figure that out. My external drives turn off automatically after a few minutes. The little flash drives i'll just pull out despite this.

Seeing the few gpu updates i've installed since April reduced my frame rate by 70%...i've given up even hoping that new ones will fix that.
Updating the gpu drivers went well though when I did it. I had to reset the beveling for eyefinity in Catalyst Control Centre...which seems to sometimes screw up my saved profiles for games. Or is it always doing that...I don't know...I stopped changing drivers. The beveling is always a few pixels different everytime I set it up...so I figured that's why my stored CCC profiles were not useable after an update.

It looks like my install of 2 more 2TB internal drives has stabilzed...as occasionally one or more would not be visible at startup. I'd restart...and it would appear. I haven't noticed this in the past few weeks.

And I guess if I want to eventually install another HD6970...i'll have to get a different power supply as it seems i've almost used every power connector it has by adding more internal drives.

Ah...and i've still not ordered the little board for my Corsair case that actually makes it possible to use SATA6. I found out much later it is only SATA2.

Adding some lighting on the inside...my plans for that are still no the shelf.

I need to look at colour options for my 3 monitors. The one in the center is slightly different than the other two...and after hours of playing with the monitor adjustments I was unable to make it similar. Usually...I don't notice the difference.

So hardware-wise there's been some internal changes.
So it now looks like this:

CASE= Corsair Obsidian 800D
PSU= Corsair AX850
MOBO= ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme AM3
CPU= AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHZ
CPU COOLER= Coolermaster V6GT
GPU= Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5
RAM= 2x Corsair Dominator 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
DISPLAY= 3x ASUS VW266H 25.5 LCD 1920X1200 2MS
SSD= (2x) OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 180GB 2.5IN SATA2
HDD= (3x) Seagate Barracuda XT 7200 2TB SATA 6.0GB/S
DVD= (2x) LG 24X Super Multi SATA DVD Writer
BRDVD = LG 12X Blu-Ray Reader
MOUSE= some piece of crap from Circuit City
KEYBOARD= Razer BlackWidow
MOUSEPAD= SteelSeries S&S Pro Gaming
HEADPHONES= SteelSeries Siberia V2 Pro Gaming 7.1
OS= Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I hope it doesn't all sound like doom and gloom. It's a wonderful computer...and hopefully I will soon finish getting the hardware in its permanent place in my home.
I'm very happy to be using Premier, Media Encoder, Soundbooth and Photoshop.
I'm enjoying iRacing with my new wheel and pedals rig...although it's not a graphic intensive game.
Dirt3 runs at about 30fps with all the graphic options on high. If I try to record a replay with fraps it gets down to 20fps.
F1 2010 didn't work in eyefinity mode with the official update...so I have lots of issues from using it without the update. But it runs around 30fps with graphic options on high. I turned some down to make it better.
Shift just stopped running and I never reinstalled. Shift2 is still in its plastic wrapper.
Test Drive Unlimited had issues that prevented me from finishing the in-game challenges. I may reinstall it...but mostly I play iRacing.

I shouldn't be quoting fps numbers...i'm writing this from memory.
Old September 24, 2011, 04:58 AM
Allstar

That took a very long time and I'm sorry to find that out. One year and we are still exactly where we are with regards to eyefinity hardware-wise.

What I learned since then:
1) Vengeance RAM kits or any high-profile ram kit will obstruct any tower heatsink, and doesn't really help cool anything as effectively as a heatsink does.
2) Corsair Obsidian is a mediocre air-cooling performer, but holds the crown for water-cooling rigs. The modern air-cooling champion today is the Silverstone raven RV03-WA. HAF series is best overall. Rosewill, from Blackhawk to Thor2, has the best value if you overcome the difficulties while building.
3) Razer keyboards are garbage, but their Deathadder is an ok mouse. DAS makes the best keyboards and Steelseries has the Sensei mouse.
4)Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase bacteria in the ear by 700 times. I like the ROG Vulcan from the reviews and price, but I would still get a good surround set.

Tags
eyefinity