Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1961 View Post
...cut
However, like you...I found it elsewhere: (your pick is the best price at $251.22)
Eagle Distribution - Product Detail $265
ErgoTech Triple LCD Desk Stand 100-D16-B03 $299...cut
Just noticing that there are many stands out there...but only the ErgoTech 100-D16-B03 has a back arm that bends. All others bend (pivot) at the bracket that attaches to the monitor and therefore may limit your ability to set it up like a typical gaming setup. (i.e. outer two monitors 10 or 20 degrees forward from the center monitor) Of course you can still angle them forward...with the cheaper stands, but the edges of the monitors may not line up nicely.
And you cannot find the cheaper $251 one selling at Amazon at the Ergotech corporate page anymore. Probably because its back arm does not bend like the 10-D16-B03 and they discontinued it.
Old December 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
curios, why not an intel for that? If im going to drop that kinda coin on a top end system like that I wouldnt even begin to contemplate an AMD.

The monitor is an excellent choice, Ive had mine for a while now and couldnt be happier with it.

Just my opinion was all.
I wonder the same thing....for that kind of coin with those Monitors / Expectations I'd be going with the Rig in "My Specs", (substitute my 980X for a 930 - 950) and I KNOW it will run on that Res perfectly....likely about the same price as well....

Too bad you got NCIX to build it...this would have been a great project, lots of fun....

Good luck with it and post some pics

Last edited by rjbarker; December 28, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old December 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Allstar

I'd rather you built it yourself or at least talk to someone in NCIX. I'm a bit worried about the CPU heat sink and the RAM not fitting together. I'm also relieved you picked a 4 PCI-E slot motherboard as the 6970 won't cool well when paired with another unless there is adequate space between them. So if you decide to get another now, just tell them not to install the cards next to each other.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
I'd rather you built it yourself or at least talk to someone in NCIX. I'm a bit worried about the CPU heat sink and the RAM not fitting together. I'm also relieved you picked a 4 PCI-E slot motherboard as the 6970 won't cool well when paired with another unless there is adequate space between them. So if you decide to get another now, just tell them not to install the cards next to each other.
I did reject one of the heatsinks I was looking at, as it was reviewed somewhere as not fitting with the ram slots. The one i've chosen looks like it will be tight...but from what I saw on videos it looked like it would be okay. But that was on a different mobo. I can't recall where I saw that now. We will see.
I have two old computers in my home now. Any components that don't work out will be handed over to a rebuild of one of those. Although...that was supposed to be a project for a year from now. :)

Sounds like my choice in monitors might mean I do need another GPU...or perhaps the 6990 when it comes out. I will deal with that when it comes. I was trying to plan this build to handle two GPU's. I just didn't think I should go for two at first. I can always add the other later myself. I got the larger monitors not really thinking about how much more difficult it would be to push 5760x1200 as opposed to 5760x1080.

I really appreciate everyones input. Thank you. I will keep you posted.
When I purchased the components the NCIX page said two were not in stock. I later got an email saying 8 items were not in stock. So i'm not expecting to see it until mid to late january.
In the meantime...I have sent a number of requests to the builder, and they are being great about that...and encouraging me to send them whatever info I need.
Old January 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Arrow

Got a call from my builder at NCIX last week saying the RAM I ordered (vengeance) was taking an unusually long time...and did I want to order something else so that I get the rig quicker. I wasn't in a hurry...but the dominator ram sounded good and asked him to use it instead. (got a $20 credit due to the switch)

Everything else in the rig is the same. Although I just realized today that there are two types of Razer BlackWidow keyboards and i'd mistakenly ordered the one that didn't light up. I'll suck it up and keep this one. (and man...is it nice...lol)

Got a call Friday that the rig was ready to be picked up. So ordered it Dec 21 and finished Jan 7. That's a lot quicker than I expected seeing it was happening over the holidays...and eight items were not in stock initially.

Picked it up on the 8th...but had a busy weekend. (purging many items from my home to make it less cluttered...had to say goodbye to my first computer, the Atari 1040ST...*sniff*...many hours of Grand Prix were played on that)
By the time I finished building the table and pulled everything out of the box it was late Sunday...and instead of turning it on I decided to go to bed...because it was 4am! lol

There was one issue with the build. The cpu cooler hangs over one of the ram slots. The builder simply took the little heatsink off the top of the ram in that slot, and the cpu cooler fits fine.

I'm still waiting for the stand for the monitors. And the racing cockpit, wheel and pedals.

Check out my HardwareCanucks profile for the eyefinity album. I took some pics last night.

Soooo...hopefully i've got all the right cables to connect everything. Tonight I start 'er up.
How am I ever going to finish organizing the mess in my home with this thing staring at me? lol
Old January 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay...got the beast started up last night. Wow. Very nice. Got it working with one monitor only.

I quickly realized I have to purchase an adapter. (male Display Port on one side...female HDMI on the other)

I called a couple of places in my city but the only one that had it...are out of stock for a few weeks.
I have ordered it online from Monoprice.com. (i could have got it for $10 with slower shipping, but chose the 1-3 days delivery option which put the price up to $30)

I'm going on the information i've been getting prior to ordering all the components...that eyefinity must have at least one display connected to the Mini DisplayPort on the GPU. (i didn't try connecting all three using the HDMI and two DVI cables)

The GPU has two DVI, one HDMI, and two Mini DisplayPorts.
The GPU came with one short "Mini Display Port to Display Port" cable and one long "HDMI to HDMI" cable.
So it's great that they included something with the Mini DisplayPort, but kind of useless seeing it cannot connect to their HDMI cable. lol (i'm sure there's logic in there somewhere...saved themselves $7)

The monitors have an HDMI, DVI, and VGA port, and came with their own DVI and VGA cables.

So the connections i'm working on will be two monitors connected with DVI-DVI, and the third one using the long HDMI-HDMI cable...connected to the HDMI-Display Port adaptor...connected to the short Display Port to Mini DisplayPort cable...to the GPU.

Also...two days ago when I took the monitors out I was so upset...because there was a nicely designed plastic panel at the back concealing the wall mounts. After dropping $300 for the triple monitor stand...I was very relieved to discover the back panel and find the mounts.

When I turned the computer on for the first time, the monitor did not come out of sleep mode. There's a button on the front for me to switch between VGA, DVI or HDMI. It was set to VGA but I had connected to HDMI cable. So another few moments of concern there before checking the manual. lol

It took me awhile to notice the RoG light to the left of the CPU cooler. It and 3 other small lights stay on even after powering off. A little bit of eyecandy to go with the red light on the cooler.

I was surprised how quiet it is. I guess I may hear the fans speed up when I push it in a game for 3 hours. Nice machine. Lots to get done before I get a game installed.
Old January 11, 2011, 04:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That adapter most likely wont work that you bought from monoprice as you need an Active or passive active adapter from display port to hmdi for eyefinity to work.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
That adapter most likely wont work that you bought from monoprice as you need an Active or passive active adapter from display port to hmdi for eyefinity to work.
Thanks. I forgot about this, and did have it written down to get an "active single link" adapter.

One explanation:
Active vs. Passive Displayport adapters *the truth* - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

The AMD page for cables and suppliers:
AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles

Two possibilities:
ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects
ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects

What I just ordered:
NCIX.com - Buy Accell Mini Display Port to DVI Single Link Active Eyefinity Adapter Retail - B087B-006B In Canada.
Old January 12, 2011, 06:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The accell ones work just fine, using the mini dp to dvi one myself
Old January 12, 2011, 07:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice rig. I was contemplating between the Extreme and the IV and i end up choosing IV.

- I dont have a need for the Lucid Hydra (ill be Xfiring anyways)
- and im waiting till i get more info about bulldozer and AM3+ compatible mobos
- BIOS isnt as mature compared to the IV

Im sure when bulldozer hits and more reviews come out i may upgrade to that platform. But in the meantime, im happy with the IV. Although i would miss the 8 SATA ports, the Intel LAN and dynamic drive is wonky on my mobo. Could be a bunch of other reasons, still hunting them down as i get a chance to use the gaming rig.

Now, you just have to WC that beast :)
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

Tags
eyefinity