Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2010, 03:16 AM
Rookie

Default Help me replicate Digital Storm: Black Ops Assassin

Hi guys,

So I'm really digging this rig by Digital Storm. I'm going to try to imitate the exact configuration, except I will be running dual SLI GTX-580s and will only watercool the CPU. Everything else will be pretty much the same. If you guys haven't noticed, Digital Storm is using the Silverstone FT02 enclosure. The mobo is twisted 90 degrees for better heat flow.

One Exhaust

Anyway,I was wondering if the single 120mm radiator at the top is sufficient for cooling an overclocked CPU? I know many variables are involved, but maybe give me a rough idea...Considering it is the only exhaust in the case, I would think there would be heat issues. Digital Storm says otherwise...

I'm all about performance over style, but I must say I really dig the FT02 enclosure. There must be a way to water cool without modding or exterior rads.

What do you guys think? Is that 120.1 rad enough?

Thanks!

PS: Here's a link to their site if anybody is wondering: Desktops - Black|OPS
Old December 12, 2010, 04:47 AM
MVP

I do believe a 120.1 rad is enough to cool just a CPU loop but it has a lot to do with the rad you pick and the fans to cool it. Also I don't believe you will see any great gains over a high end air cooler or even an sealed unit like the Corsair H70 but if your goal is to replicate the above system that isn't your big concern.
Old December 12, 2010, 09:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I agree with Rasparthe. It'll be enough for just a CPU, but get yourself a good radiator and a high-CFM fan to go with it. (Also I recommend Tygon tubing.)
Although for a system on water you would be seriously better served with an 800D. The FT02 is in a completely different camp that is really designed more for air cooling than really anything else.
Old December 12, 2010, 12:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Which configuration? The base config starts with an EVGA SLI 3 mobo, but the pictures show a Classified mobo. And some pics show a 3x580 config, while the top shot shows 2x580's with a sound card in between. And I really don't think a 120.1 rad will get you an OC much beyond what you could get on air. I'd think about going with a Corsair H70 unit first, then maybe a custom loop.

And I agree that the FT02 is a great aircooling case, but if you are going to WC it's less than optimal. A Silverstone TJ-07, Corsair 800D, or Coolermaster ATCS840 would be my 3 picks to put a custom WC loop into.

Anyways, that loop pictured is a Swiftech Apogee XT waterblock, an XSPC Reservoir which takes a DDC pump, and a single rad, with compression fittings and 2 quick disconnects.
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings - APOGEE XT In Canada.
XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Single Loop XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Singlel Loop [XSPC-DBSL-1DCC] - $58.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store
Swiftech MCP 350-02 DDC1 Quiet Water Pump 1.5Gal/Min Swiftech MCP 350-02 DDC1 Water Pump [MCP 350-02] - $62.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store
Old December 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks SugarJ. Do you think a custom loop thermochill TA120.1 in push/pull can outperform the H70?
Old December 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe that any custom loop should be able to outperform the H70, and it bloody well should as you are looking at probably $250 or more for that CPU only 120.1 loop. If you're going to spend that type of cash, I'd put a double rad on a bracket over the lower fans and get better cooling.

It all depends what you want. Are you trying to recreate it because you love the look of it, or because of the performance over air? If you are looking at it performance wise, I think there are better options. However, if the configuration of the loop and case is what you are really trying to build, have at it. I won't deny that it's a cool looking build. I'd love to try one myself in one of those cases. Being familiar with Silverstone's build quality, I know it would be fun.

Anyways, feel free to ask any other questions you might have. There's lots of folks on here with WC experience.
Old December 12, 2010, 03:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've got to admit, that looks like a pretty sexy case, but if they go by the "hot air rises" theory aren't they just heating the back plate of the mobo right up?
Old December 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Note the large open grill above the video cards for exhaust, and the exhaust fan. Yes, the IO plate may be slightly warmer than normal, but that has no effect on the rest of the system.
Old December 12, 2010, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I believe that any custom loop should be able to outperform the H70, and it bloody well should as you are looking at probably $250 or more for that CPU only 120.1 loop. If you're going to spend that type of cash, I'd put a double rad on a bracket over the lower fans and get better cooling.

It all depends what you want. Are you trying to recreate it because you love the look of it, or because of the performance over air? If you are looking at it performance wise, I think there are better options. However, if the configuration of the loop and case is what you are really trying to build, have at it. I won't deny that it's a cool looking build. I'd love to try one myself in one of those cases. Being familiar with Silverstone's build quality, I know it would be fun.

Anyways, feel free to ask any other questions you might have. There's lots of folks on here with WC experience.
Thanks again SugarJ! Really appreciate the help. The reason why I'm choosing to go with this case is because it should be very proficient at air-cooling the GPUs. I don't want to watercool the GPUs so I need a case that can efficiently air-cool a dual SLI GTX580. I need to watercool the CPU because I plan to overclock it.

Previously, I was going to go with the Corsair 800d or maybe even the 600t, but neither of them have good airflow to the GPU. I'm very picky when it comes to cases, I like them simple-looking yet functional. I thought the FT02 fits both descriptions, except for the minor issue with the watercooling.

With all due respect, there are many great cases out there but I think I will be sticking with the FT02 so please don't suggest other cases. I don't believe there is a "perfect" enclosure out there, but when it comes to the setup that I plan to do, the FT02 is pretty close to perfect for me. I just need to find the best possible setup to watercool the CPU.

So far, my choices are:
-120.1 rad at the top exhaust in push/pull. (This is how Digital Storm is doing it)

or

-120.3 rad at the bottom of the case just above the fans like SugarJ suggested. My only issue with this is that it might affect the temperature of the dual SLI GTX580.

What do you guys think? SugarJ mentioned that a custom wc 120.1 should outperform a closed loop corsair H70, but does anybody know how much of a performance increase we're talking about?

Cheers
Old December 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

All right, hang on. I see the idea, and it is a good one, but in that case why don't you run a bigger (say like a 120.3) externally? You could like take off the top shroud and put the rad there, or something.
The absolute easiest way to do it would be to get an H70 and slap on the highest flow fans you can find (not Deltas ).

EDIT: You know what thought just popped into my head? Why don't you get a HAF X? It has provisions for water cooling and a GPU shroud that takes a 120mm fan... just get a good fan and replace it for the old one, then run your CPU off water and you're good to go...