Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2010, 12:37 AM
Rookie

Default A New Day, A New Build

Hello!

I am rather new to HWC, but I decided I'd give the forums a shot for my new build.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, surfing the web, everyday use.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$600-700

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

United States.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

I would prefer to use an AMD CPU, seeing as they are a little bit more value oriented than Intel. I'm open to everything, though.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I intend on using my current Thermaltake 650W Modular PSU (80+ Bronze, I believe). I also have an old GTS 250 lying around, but I don't intend on using it.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes I have.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I plan to do some minor overclocking to my CPU and GPU.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

In a couple weeks (Dec 2010)

9. What resolution do you use?

1920x1080

I have a current build in mind:

Case: CoolerMaster Haf 912
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (3.2 GHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3P
Memory: Mushkin DDR3 1333 CL9
PSU: Thermaltake Modular 650W 80+ Bronze (I already own this item)
GPU: HD6850
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (I know some people who work at Microsoft, could probably get a discount)
HDD: WD Green 500GB

Any feedback on this setup would be much appreciated. I hope this could be help to those in the same situation as me. I have thought out this build for a little while now, and can't find many ways to make it a more budget-oriented without giving up some performance.

Thanks!
Old December 12, 2010, 12:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You'll get really poor speeds with a 500GB green drive, there really only great for storage since the price to gb ratio is so low, grab a WD black for a few dollars more.
Old December 12, 2010, 04:25 AM
MVP

Looks pretty good to me, sensible build for your budget and what you want it for. If you have a few extra dollars you might want to invest in an aftermarket cooler. Minor CPU overclocking rarely happens in my experience (I always say this and then I'm spending two days getting the highest possible clocks) and stock coolers quickly limit you. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 provides some excellent performance on the cheap:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

I've seen it even cheaper than this, so if you look around you might find a better price.
Old December 12, 2010, 04:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Blu is right for the drive. Get a Caviar blue or a black ( the blue is like 2% slower but sometime 5-10$ cheaper ) For the other part, everything seems fine to me! Maybe look at some more agressive memory like G.skill flare 1600Mhz to give you some headroom if you want to OC later.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 12, 2010, 04:36 AM
Banned
F@H

also look at i3 530/540 in that price range. per ghz per core performance is a bit better. much better on power consumption as well, you wont need more than an earthwatts 430 hell a 500 will be doable for dual cards