- 1600 / 1866 RAM
- 980X instead of 970 (+ $100)
- Keyboard / Mouse - Steel Series

All that and no WB's for your 580's?

Don't forget your OS

Enjoy the build!!
Old December 8, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

You don't have a pump listed, just an aftermarket top for one. You can get away with dead-slow fans for just a CPU, but if the GPU's enter the equation, you'll need more fan speed and/or more radiator area.

And I'd seriously wait until Sandy bridge hit the scene and some credible reviews are available - entirely possible that it'll beat that big-budget board and proc. Having a big budget is no excuse for funding last-gen hardware manufacturing, right?
Old December 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Id swap out the Dell 24 for the 27" as it usually goes for about 750-850 when on sale. PLUS it will help "justify" the cost of going SLI'd 580s :)
Of course if you all you plan on doing is driving a 24" 19x12 monitor drop back to ONE 580 right now and later drop in a second one IF you need it. Easy 5 bills savings right there.

Revo X2 240 is a beast, so no need for the VRaptor. You dont need the 10K vraptor for a scratch disk, it will mainly be wasted. Get a WD 2TB Black instead....or depending on IF the 3TB Black is out by the time you buy....get it instead. ;)

Also the SF2000's maybe out before you buy and they just might make the Revo X2 EOL'ed and obsolete. SSDs change to fast to really plan much ahead. So I'd play that one by ear if I were you. ALSO if you want to save some money...drop back and get a 120GB Vertex 2. It is VERY fast, will not get into a degraded state like the Revo's do and unless you have used SSDS in the past will still be VERY happy with it and with the power of the WD Black 2TB you will still have LOTS of space for games and the such. Easy 3.5 bills of saving there.

The mobo is overkill. Do you really NEED something that big with that many lanes? I doubt it, two for 580s at most and a x4 slot for the Revo (at most) == more mundane board. Get a good top of the line Asus or GB in the 3-3.5bill range and save another 2 bills. :)

That ram is GOOD but once again do you plan on INSANE OC's that require DDR3-2000? Its not like ram speed is going to make much dif in the overall performace of your system. Give it some thought and you might be able to drop back a notch and save some more coin there as well.
Excellent tips, AKG! Really appreciate your insightful suggestions. This is my first time building a computer so I hope you guys understand that some of the components I have chosen might not be appropriate. This will be my first time using an SSD, so maybe the Vertex will do. As for the motherboard, I felt justified to go with that mobo because I thought I could take advantage of the extra slots in the future.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
PChome (Taiwan) - $20 Worldwide Shipping Promo - geekhack forums

Look at that link, I already went through it since I was planning on getting one. I would have one right now but I have to pay for contact lenses next week :( Shipping is $20 and it's about $109 for the keyboard (depending on which one)

As you can see, their site isn't in english but use the pictures provided on the step-by-step process.
Thanks for the link! You just saved me a bunch of time going through foreign websites looking for those FILCO's. Let me know how you like the keyboard when you finally do get it.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
You don't have a pump listed, just an aftermarket top for one. You can get away with dead-slow fans for just a CPU, but if the GPU's enter the equation, you'll need more fan speed and/or more radiator area.

And I'd seriously wait until Sandy bridge hit the scene and some credible reviews are available - entirely possible that it'll beat that big-budget board and proc. Having a big budget is no excuse for funding last-gen hardware manufacturing, right?
Yeah, I'll definitely wait until sandy bridge is released next month. As for the pump, do you have a recommendation for one? I'm only water cooling my CPU so I'm not sure if I will be needing a very strong pump for just one loop...
Old December 8, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I definitely would not get SLI setup for 1080 resolution..... one 580 will be fine and will result in less headaches overall...

That's just my opinion.

Course you could always add another later if you find games that can actually lag out the 580 at 1080 res....
Old December 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
How about an SR-2? The motherboard almost costs the same and you should be able to find a pair of hexcore Xeons for < 1100 in ebay. It's probably pointless I know, but if you're gonna spend that money you might as well.

Spoken like a true folding recruiter.

Old December 8, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 for SLI semi-pointless at 1080 P. Unless you want to go 3 LCD. I am sure RJ barker will chime in saying how much FPS you get etc... but at 1080P, the difference is really marginal for the 500 $ + $.

With this + the dual Revo, you just saved cmore than a 1000 $ !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 8, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMammoth View Post
Yeah, I'll definitely wait until sandy bridge is released next month. As for the pump, do you have a recommendation for one? I'm only water cooling my CPU so I'm not sure if I will be needing a very strong pump for just one loop...
You won't. The CPU block you have isn't particularly restrictive, and any of the common pumps will be up to the task.

The top you have listed there is for the Laing D5 (aka Swiftech MCP655) pump, which is a very popular pump. The top isn't technically needed, but it offers a small performance increase, and the flexibility to use barbs and tubing other than the pump's stock 1/2" size. Another pump worth looking at is the Laing DDC series, which have several models out these days, and are often rebanded as Swiftech MCP350 (average), MCP355 (stronger), and most recently MCP35X (strong+aftermarket top+PWM control). If you do go with an MCP350 or 355, you'll want to look into an aftermarket top, as those pumps benefit a great deal from them.
Old December 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with AkG and RJBarker's posts.

My recommendations:
MOBO: To make that mobo fit that case you need to actually drill out some rivets and lower the "divider tray". 800d build with 4 way classified - The Corsair Support Forums
If you are running 3 or fewer cards don't get that ridiculous mobo. Just get a Classified 3-way or an ASUS Rampage III Extreme. I know that the RIIIE will let you run 4 cards in an 800d, even though the bottom card hangs from 1 slot.

SSD: Even if you go with a vertex2 240GB you will save $250, a 120GB will save you $430 off of a Revodrive. With SSD's being relatively new to consumer PCs, you can expect newer technology and lower prices in the near future, and a WD black is just fine for a storage drive. I actually use WD greens because they are so quiet.
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G In Canada.

PSU:
Just FYI, A 1200w PSU is way overkill with only 2 GPUs. A hx1000 would be lots. Just to give you an idea, my 2x5870 + GTS450 with a 930 @ 4.0 + dual pumps etc. only pulls 600w. That being said, I do like how the 1200 is FULLY modular, so I would stick with the 1200 for that reason alone.

RAM: 2000 is unnecessary, everything I've read says that there is no real world noticeable difference between 2000 and 1600. Save yourself $100 and grab a 1600 set.
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS3 Dominator CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 12GB DDR3 3X4GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit - CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 In Canada.

OPTICAL:
The LG BH10LS30 is a great BD writer and is $45 cheaper than the pioneer. The only difference is a 10x vs 12x BD write speed, and since only 2x -6x discs are available... Plus the LG has lightscribe.
NCIX.com - Buy LG BH10LS30 Bluray Writer 10X BD-R 16X DVD-RW Lightscribe SATA Retail Box - BH10LS30.AVBR10B In Canada.

Keyboard: If that is for sure the keyboard you want, cool. But just know that you can get a G110 or similar for $100.

GPUs: Really no need for 2x580s with a single 1920x1200. I'd recommend you try one first, then add a second if you think you want/need it.

Watercooling:
Don't bother with that primochill fluid. Distilled water from your local grocery store is cheaper and better. They claim that stuff is non conductive... but neither is pure water. Add $80 for a pump to go with that top. You'll want the one with a speed controller (655 NOT 655-B) For fittings you need to decide on Barbs or Compression. Barbs/clamps are cheaper, but compressions look better. There is really no tangible evidence to suggest that one is more likely to leak than the other.
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs - MCP655 In Canada.

Fans are up to you. It comes down to CFM vs Noise vs Color. This is a pretty good comparison of a lot of fans. Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup. Page 28 - X-bit labs

Also, I'm surprised you are not going to watercool the GPUs ?
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011