Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2010, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Default Heavy Data Computer Build - Suggestions Needed!

Hello Everyone,

I built a great media/office/graphics rig last year with your help, and my needs have changed for my current build and I wanted to put it out there and get some input.

I am in need of a box that will be used as a small business powerhouse for a sub company I am building for a client.

For Processing:
The user will be working on very large formula Microsoft Excel 2010 spreadsheets with multiple sheets, references, multiple formula's etc as well as programs like Quickbooks and Ebay Turbo Lister that take forever to process anything.

I have been looking around to find what processor & mobo that are best suited to these uses, and everything I have been reading points to i5/i7.

There is also a bit of Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Premier to go along with the other tasks.

It will be running two new ASUS 24" monitors at 1920x1080 that I just picked up during the Black Friday sales.

I need to keep the budget down for the intial build, and add on as the project gains more funds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Glen
Old December 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
Banned
F@H

hmm, im thinking go hyper threaded i7 be it 1156 or 1366 if you have to build now. id wait for sb though. or go maybe with a nice amd hexa, like the 1055t? lots of ram needed, so dont look below 4 gigs.
Old December 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
Restricted Poster

Where are you planning to buy? Budget?
Old December 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRYJESUS View Post
Where are you planning to buy? Budget?
I am building it in California (Fresno) and have bought from Tigerdirect, NCIX and Newegg.

I would like to stay between $500 - 1000 USD for the box for the initial build.

The last one that I build had 12gb of ram and a i7, SSD main ect.. but it was mostly for graphic work.

It took the Excel easily, but it was a 2500 USD machine last year (December 09), and I figured it was overkill for this build.
Old December 7, 2010, 05:29 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-mess1 View Post
I am building it in California (Fresno) and have bought from Tigerdirect, NCIX and Newegg.

I would like to stay between $500 - 1000 USD for the box for the initial build.

The last one that I build had 12gb of ram and a i7, SSD main ect.. but it was mostly for graphic work.

It took the Excel easily, but it was a 2500 USD machine last year (December 09), and I figured it was overkill for this build.
By "box", I assume you mean the actual computer without a monitor and peripherals?
Old December 8, 2010, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRYJESUS View Post
By "box", I assume you mean the actual computer without a monitor and peripherals?
Correct. I have the monitors already :)
Old December 9, 2010, 07:33 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Get an SSD to fly through the database stuff.

Tags
data processing , excel , formula