Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2010, 03:02 AM
MVP

Default Why I Would Not Recomend A Build In December 2010

1)Intel's release of its Sandy Bridge CPUs:
Can't recommend an LGA1156-based system. LGA1366 systems may even be under threat if Sandy Bridge's performance matches up to the buzz being generated.
2)AMD CPUs might come a little later, but any AMD fan who built a rig this month will weep when he sees what's coming next.
3)ATI is about to release its Radeon HD 6900-series, which should logically compete directly with the Nvidia GTX 580.
4) On Nividia's mid-end GPUs, it would just be silly if Nvidia did not re-deploy its revised Fermi architecture in all it's cards.
5) Crosair's new AX-Series PSUs are about to tear it up and make things very messy for the rest.

So that's I what I would do with my own money. I hope I can save some of you new-builders your money and time this month. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and thank you all for your great posts. See you next month!

Blog - PC Hardware Buyer's Guide, December 2010 | bit-tech.net
Corsair AX750 Power Supply Review | KitGuru
Old December 4, 2010, 04:02 AM
Rookie

I'm waiting to see what happens in January with Sandy Bridge. I've been holding off on a build for a while. I have the case and PSU and HSF already.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:15 AM
Banned
F@H

with sandy bridge its easy. from what i read, itll clock like a mother on the k models, and unless you fancy more pci-e lanes and such, you may not look at 1366 no more?

more or less agree with the rest.

if i had to absolutely build right now? the minimum necessary to check email and be able to order online plus of course parts ill reuse like psu,ram,hdd:)
Old December 4, 2010, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah, whatever. There is always something new and exciting around the corner. For the average user most rigs are overkill anyway.
Old December 4, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Meh. As stoanee it put it "There is always something new and exciting around the corner."

1) Meh. SB is going to be damn expensive at first as mfg'ers WILL be charging a premium for it (and lets not forget the teething issues that ALWAYS accompany a new chip line that take awhile to be sorted out via bios updates). Its going to be even MORE expensive if you want to OC as you will need a K chip to do it.
2) Double meh. Bulldozer and onboard GPU...not my cup of tea. Add in the fact you can get an unlocked Six core for 220 or so and I doubt anyone will be crying over their purchase six months from now! Hell my 1090T is doing 3.8GHZ (turbo disabled, 12hrs prime 95 stable) and when no in use it down clocks back to 800mhz (via CnQ). Dont think I will be upgrading for at least a year.
3) Yawn. Anyone who has a 580 is not going to cry over the competitions offering. High end is high end. Dual GPU on one board is not my cup of tea either as its a royal PITA.
4) MAYBE. The 570 does look impressive, but once again....anyone going high end has the cash to not care IF the 580 is "over priced"....the top GPU from both red and green ALWAYS carries a price premium. And its not like the CHEAP 6850 or 460 1gb'er are bad solutions for mid tier buyers!
5) Doubtful. A kick ass Gold cert'ed PSU vs a Gold cert'ed PSU (say the Seasonic X750)....the dif is going to be SMALL. Right now there is LOTS of great PSUs to chose from and while ANOTHER great one is always welcome...its not like peeps are going to be ripping out their PSU (and their hair) in a month or two.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Meh. As stoanee it put it "There is always something new and exciting around the corner."

1) Meh. SB is going to be damn expensive at first as mfg'ers WILL be charging a premium for it (and lets not forget the teething issues that ALWAYS accompany a new chip line that take awhile to be sorted out via bios updates). Its going to be even MORE expensive if you want to OC as you will need a K chip to do it.
2) Double meh. Bulldozer and onboard GPU...not my cup of tea. Add in the fact you can get an unlocked Six core for 220 or so and I doubt anyone will be crying over their purchase six months from now! Hell my 1090T is doing 3.8GHZ (turbo disabled, 12hrs prime 95 stable) and when no in use it down clocks back to 800mhz (via CnQ). Dont think I will be upgrading for at least a year.
3) Yawn. Anyone who has a 580 is not going to cry over the competitions offering. High end is high end. Dual GPU on one board is not my cup of tea either as its a royal PITA.
4) MAYBE. The 570 does look impressive, but once again....anyone going high end has the cash to not care IF the 580 is "over priced"....the top GPU from both red and green ALWAYS carries a price premium. And its not like the CHEAP 6850 or 460 1gb'er are bad solutions for mid tier buyers!
5) Doubtful. A kick ass Gold cert'ed PSU vs a Gold cert'ed PSU (say the Seasonic X750)....the dif is going to be SMALL. Right now there is LOTS of great PSUs to chose from and while ANOTHER great one is always welcome...its not like peeps are going to be ripping out their PSU (and their hair) in a month or two.
^^ Exactly....I "think" just the opposite....why wait...you'll always be "waiting"...........
Old December 5, 2010, 02:00 PM
MVP

Sandy bridge is mid end, why replace high end with mid end? Wait for 2011 pin.

Never been a AMD fan, might build a hexa core system some day, but by now.

Still awaitig the stepup for my 480, will have 580 in a few months.

Happy with my HX1000W, especially f it can push 1.5 Kw like some have said.

17" Macbook Pro (early 2011 model)
2.2Ghz i7-2720QM | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz | 750gb Toshiba HDD | ATI 6750M 1GB
Old December 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
1)Intel's release of its Sandy Bridge CPUs:
Can't recommend an LGA1156-based system. LGA1366 systems may even be under threat if Sandy Bridge's performance matches up to the buzz being generated.
2)AMD CPUs might come a little later, but any AMD fan who built a rig this month will weep when he sees what's coming next.
3)ATI is about to release its Radeon HD 6900-series, which should logically compete directly with the Nvidia GTX 580.
4) On Nividia's mid-end GPUs, it would just be silly if Nvidia did not re-deploy its revised Fermi architecture in all it's cards.
5) Crosair's new AX-Series PSUs are about to tear it up and make things very messy for the rest.

So that's I what I would do with my own money. I hope I can save some of you new-builders your money and time this month. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and thank you all for your great posts. See you next month!

Blog - PC Hardware Buyer's Guide, December 2010 | bit-tech.net
Corsair AX750 Power Supply Review | KitGuru
Third the motion of new tech just around the corner. Its a matter of building something now that is on sale while all the new tech is comming out.
Look at the amazing price drops on some gear.

The AX is good, but not the best. Even Superflower in both Kingwin and NZXT format have proved themselves to be better regulated platforms in the Gold PSU Catagory.

Build a rig whenever you want, I'd much prefer a computer that doesn't have a buggy BIOS and for good pricing (X6 BE for 229 on sale anyone?) and call it a day.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 6, 2010, 03:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Pretty much agree that there is always something new on the horizon. Most of todays modern CPU are plenty enough right now for 99% of the peep. Honestly, even a 775 socket can pretty much run anything decently when pair with a good GPU. I feel it's less like it used to be a couple years back when CPU really needed to be changed rapidly because they were lacking power. Unless you really need the power for some specifics application or games, yesterday's favourites are plenty good enough for most tasks. My son is running a E8600 + HD4780 in his rig and it's not like he really needs upgrades ...

Old December 6, 2010, 07:15 PM
MVP

I will fourth (or perhaps fifth) the above, if your computer budget it sitting around $2K then yes you are mental to not wait until January or beyond. For the majority of those with a much more restrictive budget getting the old tech for tons less is a big bonus. Just put together my i7 rig for less than $500 with some gently used parts. If someone can convince me the new Sandys and mobos will be less than the current 1366/1156 out there for the 10%-15% (generous) upgrade I will indeed kick myself.