Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2010, 11:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Computer's built

I finished assembling my PC and just had a few questions about it, here are the specs

CPU : intel i5 760 - going to over clock this to 4.0GHZ when i recive my h50
Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth 55i
Memory: 8 Gigs of Corsair XMS 3 ( they only had 4 gigs, I'm waiting for another 4 to arrive in the mail)
Videocard : Evga 460GTX ( they only had 1 in stock in BC :(, Going to buy a second at christmas )
Powersupply : Seasonic 850 watt 80+ silver
Case : Coolermaster Haf 912
Opticals : none ( I'll wait till i actually need one, i think the last time i used an optical was like 8 months ago
Harddrives : Seagate barracuda 320gig and a 500GB,

this is the exact power supply i got
NCIX.com - Buy Seasonic SS-850HT 850W 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80 Plus Silver 8PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM - SS-850HT In Canada.

they also had this in stock and i was debating if i should get the seasonic or this OCZ
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Elitexstream OCZ800EXS 800W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - OCZ800EXS In Canada.

I think the OCZ is way more astheticly appealing but it was only a single 62v 12v rail and the seasonic was 2x 40v 12v rails and i figured that would be better for my SLI 460's i can go back and exchange it if the OCZ is better depending on what the forum says!

I sat there and watched my friend do some really nice cable management at the back of the computer but due to the fact that this power supply is non modular, He couldnt hide all of the cables the back side panel would close, so he fed them back through the bottom HDD tray and I'm trying to find a way to hide the cables any ideas?

MODS I WOULD LIKE TO DO

I want to pain the inside of the case to be black to match the front, and i also want to paint the back of the case black since it's also the silver / grey and the back IO shield of my mobo is black :(

Where the masking tape is i would like to put in a custom window, anyone got a tutorial on how to do this?, i read one on how they did it to the corsair 600 graphite case.

I'm not 100% set on a window like that as i think that looks kind of retarded, but i would 100% like to add a window in there and paint the insides / back black and the psu too,

and back to the origonal question should i take this seasonic back and get that OCZ? which is better?

edit : Cooler Master Follows Up with HAF-912 Plus Case | techPowerUp
after looking at this this makaes me kind of angry, oh well the haf 912 i bought was on sale for 50$. can't really complain anyone know where i can order the window side panel to just put on my case.

Last edited by severity; December 4, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old December 3, 2010, 06:04 PM
MVP

Seasonic are generally accepted to be of much better quality than OCZ PSUs but Seasonic does make PSU that are rebranded by other companies like Corsair. Not sure if OCZ does this or which models it would be.
Old December 3, 2010, 06:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

nice build brah :)