Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2010, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Default Memory Issue

Hello,

Recently I purchased the parts for a new machine and I have been trying to get it work properly without much luck.
AMD Phenom II X4 905e
MB MSI 770-G45

My memory: OCZ OCZ3G1333LV4GK 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 CL 9-9-9-20 Dual Channel Memory Kit
My buddy's memory: Corsair XMS DDR3 TW3X4G1333C9A

I am testing the machine memory and it always ends up with errors when 2 memory banks are placed on DIMM1 and DIMM2.

I ran to my buddy's and got 2 banks of DDR3 and gave him my memory. He said memtest found errors on my memory and I found errors when using his memory.

I would love to figure out what is the problem and I am starting to wonder. Is it a RAM + MB /CPU issue?

Is it possible that my AMD OEM processor's Memory controller is failing ? I am wondering because it wasn't packaged amazingly well and as far as I know, AMD moved the memory controller on-die so it can be faster. I am not sure if the memory controller has some buffers on the motherboard or if it is directly connected to the DIMM slots. Is it possible that the memory controller is damaged and due to that the memory is failing?

Thank you very much,

PS First post. wohoo :)
Old December 3, 2010, 02:27 AM
Banned
F@H

welcome aboard.

if your ram has errors on his rig, and working with the timings AND voltage doesnt help? there is a good chance its shot. try to see if his ram is fine, just one stick will do. you may want to reseat the cpu, just in case. shouldnt be the issue though.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure no pin are bended on the CPU. Try 1 stick at a time. If nothing work I would go back to the place where you purchasethe thing givingthem the chance to test it to find what's wrong before changing it. I am not surprise about OCZ memory giving you error, where it get harder to troubleshoot is because your friend corsair do error as well.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 3, 2010, 08:00 AM
Rookie

Just out of curiosity I put my buddy's ram on DIMM3 and DIMM4. It is now at over 6 hrs of testing and still running without any problems. It used to fail after 10 minutes when placed in slots DIMM1 and DIMM2.

This leads me to think that slots DIMM1 and DIMM2 might be causing the problem.. and it's not just the ram.

I cannot really bring it back since I bought the PC online. So I either RMA it or nothing :P

Do you think I should RMA the MB + CPU as well?
Old December 3, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would RMA the board first, then your ram. And the CPU if needed. How many time OCZ return me dead ram from RMA. I still have a dead kit on my desk that is fresh from a fourth RMA...So having a working mobo at first is better to test the ram the second she get in. Just in case.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 3, 2010, 08:27 AM
Rookie

Since i JUST bought the computer I can return the ram and get a different brand.

I was thinking about
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

What is your opinion? Is it any good for over clocking?
Old December 3, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

G.skill is way better. Many of us are using them for reliability and OC ability. I am myself using ( now ) a 4GB (2X2) G.skill trident 1600 and a Ripjaw 2000. Both OC pretty well and never ran into issue with them. Get the G.skill, see if that fix the issue. If not then it's mobo time. With that everything should be good.

Martin_metal_88

Old December 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gskill make some good OCing RAM , what test was it failing on memtest? 5? 8?
I find on my 790gx that I get better clocks on dimm 3-4 over dimm 1-2
Are you 100% certain that you inputted the correct timings ( yes the sub-timing too) and voltage to the RAM as specified for your ram?
dimm 1-2 could be causing vdroop and if the voltage is right on the edge of what is required for each modual could be causeing the errors.
Sounds to me like a dimm or voltage problem rather than 2 sets of bad ram but wouldn't be the first time I have seen it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 3, 2010, 08:49 AM
Rookie

I am trying to get the system stable with AUTO default BIOS settings first.
I verified the standard timing that are on listed on the ram sticks themselves but not the sub timings. The voltage is also the voltage show for the ram.

After some more testing it seems that only DIMM1 has issues. The rest seem to work...

PS. I jumped on the G.Skill bandwagon :)
Old December 3, 2010, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanttrom View Post
I am trying to get the system stable with AUTO default BIOS settings first.
I verified the standard timing that are on listed on the ram sticks themselves but not the sub timings. The voltage is also the voltage show for the ram.

After some more testing it seems that only DIMM1 has issues. The rest seem to work...

PS. I jumped on the G.Skill bandwagon :)
You have tested each ram stick in each slot separately?

Ditch the AUTO and enter the input manually even if AUTO is reading the SPD right and inputting the correct value it would not be the first time that a simple manual timing/voltage input has fixed things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton