Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Default Gtx 580 or 480 or 470? Air or water?

Hello,

Im planning a new build and need some help with the gpu.

Things I know for sure:

thermaltake swordm
Intel I7 950
Corsair 850 AX

Things I will probably go with:

MSI Xpower 1366
koolance cpu 360 for CPU block
Mushkin Blackline 6GB 3X2GB

I'm open to suggestions as far as replacing some of the 'probably go with' stuff. I have already decided I will be water cooling (at least the cpu) So adding a gpu to the loop should be rather simple.

The computer is mostly for use with CAD, not really a gaming pc but I do plan to use it with 2 24inch monitors.

Right now im thinking of waiting till boxing day and see if ncix/direct canada has some 480's on sale at a good price and water cooling them because they are known for running hot. What do you guys think?

Steven
Old December 1, 2010, 11:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

IMHO (I own 470 SLi and used to have a 480) I would get a 580.
Old December 1, 2010, 11:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

With the 500 series cards coming out you might be able to get a really good price on a couple 480s on boxing day. And if you're water cooling them the noise and heat won't be a bother.

Thats the extreme side. Otherwise play it economical and go with the cheapest solution, games will still run flawless.
Old December 1, 2010, 11:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you do plan to SLI 480's or 580's i'd recommend to get a higher watt psu, that way you won't need to upgrade in the future when you SLI. (My current dilemma)

As for the case, did you consider how you would mount your radiators? internally / externally

Adding a gpu loop is simple but the cost to do it is expensive. :-)
Old December 2, 2010, 05:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vohiep84 View Post
If you do plan to SLI 480's or 580's i'd recommend to get a higher watt psu, that way you won't need to upgrade in the future when you SLI. (My current dilemma)

As for the case, did you consider how you would mount your radiators? internally / externally

Adding a gpu loop is simple but the cost to do it is expensive. :-)

I already own the corsair 850 AX So I will use it in this build if i upgrade in the future I will change the psu but for a single gpu it should be fine.

Rads will all be mounted internally
2 x 120 on the side door
2 x 120 on the bottom depending on mobo it may even be possible to stack 2 rads here
2 x 120 OR 3 x 120 (not sure yet, 3 x 120 would probably fit with a little modding) may even be able to stack 3 x 120

Im not worried about rad's there's more then enough room. As for dual loops, maybe in the future i will build with a single and I'm not happy with temps I will change to dual loops.

Phill: Do you think there is a huge advantage with the 580? I was hoping to score some 480s cheap because of the new 580...
Old December 2, 2010, 07:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Do you already have the Sword M? If not, you have no idea what you are getting into...
Old December 2, 2010, 08:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying freak View Post

Phill: Do you think there is a huge advantage with the 580? I was hoping to score some 480s cheap because of the new 580...
Seeing as you plan on water cooling no I don't see a huge advantage... that said you are planning a substantial rig there why not put in the best?
Old December 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Do you already have the Sword M? If not, you have no idea what you are getting into...
I do already own the case I plan to switch all the water cooling stuff out with koolance /switch stuff. I may keep the rad that's in it now, we will see. But the pump/block/res are all comming out.

Im thinking of externally mounting a koolance res to the front of the case we will see.

Phil: we will see, its going to depends what type of deals I see. I'm a student and this computer is mostly for school not really being built with gaming in mind.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you plan on watercooling, overclocked GTX480 come close to Stock 580 and you wont suffer the incredible fan speeds you will need for the OC. If you want to stay on air, go 580.

Finally dual GTX 480 will run on an AX 850 no problemo.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 2, 2010, 11:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

uh, few problems. saying "GTX 480 or 580" and "not being built with gaming in mind" doesn't fit together in my head. They are gaming video cards, and can work well as graphics workstation cards also.. but most graphic artists go for the Nvidia Quadro series.

Anyways, my personal recommendation is either a 480 with waterblock, or 580 on air. Generally, (very general here) the 580 is 18% better than the 480 (see: HWC reviews) runs cooler and uses less power. The 580 is more quiet than the 480.
I just bought an MSI 580 to replace my watercooled 480 (which is going in the buy/sell section in a few days)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.