Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Default New i7 Build

Ok, I just put this together yesterday. So far so good. No issues with hardware. Everything seems to be working. Just wondering If I am getting the most out of it.

i7 930
6GB Corsair XMS cl9
2x 460 1GB
128GB Kingston SSD, 640 WD Black
HX750W
CoolIt ECO
Antec DF-85

I did a heaven benchmark with stock clocks. Is this ok for this system? I plan on doing some OC'n in the future, but Im so noob when it comes to intel. Been an AMD guy for years.

Graphics Card-GTX 460 1GB SLI (800/1600/1800)
Power Supply
-
Corsair HX750W
Case-Antec DF-85
Monitor-BenQ M2700HD
Old November 30, 2010, 10:25 PM
Rookie

i say thats really good score, better then mine, which is what i hope to expect
Old December 1, 2010, 07:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

as a reference this is what my two 470s in SLi oc'd to 800mhz will do with a 920 at 4Ghz. once you have your rig oc'd to atleast the same levels you should see similar performance.

Old December 1, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your score looks fine, however Heaven isn't the greatest for comparisons as it seems everyone uses so many different settings.....

ie...should run with everthing Maxed: Extreme Tess, X16, x8 Max Resolution of your monitor..

Here's an example...2560 x 1440 ( 2x 480's)

Try a Vantage run and you should be able to get some very good comparisons...

Old December 1, 2010, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

Curious as to why the stock speed system with slower video cards can rock a noticeably higher minimum fps. (@Philll).

The settings look the same as the OP's.
Old December 1, 2010, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks better than Mine to be honest, and I have a very similar setup. I don't have Vantage to run or I'd put some numbers up to compare.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2010, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

I think vantage is a better benchmark. Heaven have too much variation
Old December 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Curious as to why the stock speed system with slower video cards can rock a noticeably higher minimum fps. (@Philll).

If your referring to my Post vs OP....

i ran 2560 x 1440 vs 1680 x 1050
Extreme tess vs normal
8xAA vs none
16xAF vs 4xAF

Thats what makes Heaven not so good for comparisons...everyone need to run it with the same settings to properly compare.

EDIT: sorry you were probably looking "Phill vs OP"...the minimum FPS is very misleading....sometimes for some reason it will give a very low number and other times that can jump up by 15 FPS....I've seen a minimum as low as 12 FPS with SLi 480's...a run later its 35 FPS...

Old December 1, 2010, 11:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCZbao View Post

Often I find that the heaven benchmark reports such despite the fact that while watching it take place the lowest I saw was ~60 fps. It does not concern me though bc from pass the total number of frames remains within tolerance. However it would be nice if the min frames did not act up... bc honestly that is one of the most important points to compare. :(

I think heaven is an ok benchmark to compare just so long as the same settings are used. In that way I do not think it is any different then vantage or any other benchie.

@rjbarker, may I ask why you posted a benchie at a res that the OP and many others cannot compare with? Why didn't you use the same setting as the OP?
Old December 1, 2010, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the clarification guys.

:)