Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2010, 11:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default 775 build (mobo, GPU, RAM)

This is not exactly a new build.
So here's the deal, I have a sudden urge to go crossfire but the thing is, I don't want to upgrade my CPU as it's still working well for me. Problem is, there are hardly any mobos left that allow crossfire with a 775 socket and I'm still using DDR2 memory. I don't mind buying new DDR3 but I was just wondering if I should just wait for the new bulldozer or sandy bridge to come out and just buy everything new (whats estimated costs, won't spend $300 on new CPU).

So couple of questions:
Will my CPU bottleneck two standard 5850s?
Is buying new motherboard and ram and potentially new psu worth satisfying my need for crossfire before I even get a new 5850.

Would be most appreciated if someone can direct me to a motherboard that supports crossfire, DDR2, and uses 775 that is still available. The only board I can find is this one NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P ATX LGA775 P45 DDR3 2PCIE 2PCI SATA3 US3.0 Sound GLAN CrossFireX Motherboard - GA-EP45T-USB3P In Canada. but not sure if it's worth it.

Any suggestions welcome.
Current specs in profile.

Thanks!
Old November 25, 2010, 01:35 PM
MVP

I'll tell you from experience, crossfire isn't worth it. Just get the best single gpu card you can and call it a day.

But if you still insist, which means you should prepare for headaches and disappointments, most P45 boards will crossfire. But only the x58, and higher, chipset boards will actually run both slots at their full speed and not at 8x (P45). At least on the Intel side.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would just leave your build as is, the Q6600 is still a very good CPU assuming it's got a decent OC. 5850 may be getting old, but it's still a good card.

If you don't have any real need for more performance, wait for Sandy Bridge, it's not that far off.
Old November 25, 2010, 03:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd look for a used X38 or X48 board. Only way you'll get optimal Crossfire performance. X38 supports DDR2 and X48 is DDR3.

However, if you can hold off, I'd say just switch platforms. LGA775 is dead and won't be getting any faster.
Old November 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would wait, save your money and then when SB and BD come out see what options you would have available. Throwing money at a dead socket type is not always the best move.
There is always new tech around the corner, but this is actually close enough around the corner that I would wait.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 25, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

if you can pick another 5850 for really cheap and as per above,but on the cheap as well, maybe.

or if you dont use your computer much, sell the lot so you have a fresh start with the new build.

also, the locked oc potential of non k sandy bridge parts might or might not get to your nerves.

ps if you buy an intel cf board, make sure it takes ddr2, i.e. not the -T models which are ddr3. just a thought ;)
Old November 26, 2010, 07:28 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just wait. It was all the Black Friday stuff that gave me a need to buy stuff lol.

Tags
5850 , 775