Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2010, 11:00 PM
Rookie

Default NCIX Black Friday Sale

Hey everyone,

In my other thread, I ask your guys opinion about buying a core i7 system or waiting till January for SB. I have decided to wait for the SB platform and will be buying most of the parts in January.

However, NCIX (the store I will be buying every part) is having a black friday in warehouse sale (only in Vancouver) on friday and thought it would be a smart move to buy all the parts that aren't SB related (case, PSU etc.).

Out of all the parts in a build, what will not be SB related parts? I am new to building desktops and would like to know what parts I can/should buy if there are potential savings. I hear that even SSD (new ones) will be released in Q1 2011?

Thank you for the inputs.

Thank you
Old November 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It looks like sandy bridge will be using standard ddr3 memory so the only think you need to wait for is the mobo and CPU.

From a quick glance over this week sale I like these:

The corsair 600t case is onsale, I find it to be one of the most appealing cases on the market:
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 4 Channel Fan Ctrl No PS - CC600T In Canada.

My favorite budget case to build in for clients(haf912 for $53):
NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound - RC-912-KKN1 In Canada.

HDDs:
WD black 1tb on sale as usual
NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - WD1002FAEX In Canada.

seagate 1tb 49.99 looks like a good deal:
NCIX.com - Buy Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty* - ST31000528AS In Canada.

DvD drive 15$:
NCIX.com - Buy Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM - SH-S223C/BEBE-OEM In Canada.

I didn't see any stand out deals on PSUs or memory.
Old November 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This weeks NCIX sale, isn't that spectacular compared to the normal weekly sales they have. If your not building until January, you would be better off purchasing everything during the boxing day sales.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is there something about SB that im missing? I was under the impression that this platforms only OC options were multi based, and from experiance multi OC doesnt seem to reap anywhere near teh same results from FSB OC. Im only asking because so many people are pumped about it and Im outright curious to why, like I said maybe im missing something here.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Is there something about SB that im missing? I was under the impression that this platforms only OC options were multi based, and from experiance multi OC doesnt seem to reap anywhere near teh same results from FSB OC. Im only asking because so many people are pumped about it and Im outright curious to why, like I said maybe im missing something here.

There's speculation that it's faster clock for clock vs i7 (20%?) in that case, fapfapfap.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure why you would think that. Are you trying to say that a 2ghz processor (133x15) performs the same as a 3.33ghz (133x25) processor? From my understanding it is really irrelevant, Mhz are Mhz regardless if it is multiplyer based or Bus based. Your ram has run off multipliers for a long time now. 133x10 for your ram vs 266x5 is really a moot point. It is still 1333Mhz. I cant see why it would be any different with a multiplier based CPU...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about