Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 12:10 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 14

My System Specs

Default

I've decided on the 6870. Knowing about that XFX double lifetime warranty completely changed everything for the better. Switched the build around immensely. I dropped the H50 cooler and have decided to just pick up an aftermarket cooler for OCing later down the road; because of that I changed it to an i5 build. It is now 20 dollars under budget and consists of:


Intel Core i5 750
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Asus P7P55 LX P55 DDR3 LGA 1156 ATX 2CI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI 6SATA CrossfireX Mobo
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

This has more of a boost to it than the previous build and has more future proofing with being able to crossfire a second 6870 for cheaper and with less heat/power draw. I believe this will be the final build I will order unless there is more suggestions. Many many thanks for all the feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

if you go intel, i strongly suggest to look at ie 530 and up. dual core yes, hyperthreaded yes. good performance and clocks like a mother in law on steroids

pair it with a giga ud3/4p or h55 if you look for single card.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 12:30 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 14

My System Specs

Default

I was thinking about an i3, but figured that the i5 would be better in the long run, when more games finally start having more multi-core support.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 12:51 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

price/performance the i3 is better. in the future, if you really need the extra hp, youll get a hyperthreaded quad relatively cheap. around 240 now.


Intel's Core i3-530 - The Budget Powerhouse?: Overclocking Intel's Core i3-530 - Techgage

Intel Core i3 530 and i3 540 Review - Page 12/13 | techPowerUp

Dual-Core LGA1156 Processors: Core i5-661, Core i3-540 and Pentium G6950 CPUs Review. Page 15 - X-bit labs
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,876

My System Specs

Default

Not sure if I'd recommend a "LX" board, but I guess if that's all your budget allows for...

For the RAM, what model of Corsairs and at what price? You might be able to get faster RAM for less.

And make sure you still check ShopBot/PriceCanada to see if you're getting the lowest price. NCIX price matches after all.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 14

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Not sure if I'd recommend a "LX" board, but I guess if that's all your budget allows for...

For the RAM, what model of Corsairs and at what price? You might be able to get faster RAM for less.

And make sure you still check ShopBot/PriceCanada to see if you're getting the lowest price. NCIX price matches after all.
Corsair CMV4GX3m2A133C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3 1333 CL9 Dual Channel Memory - $62.99

If not the LX board, mind throwing some other recommendations?


Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,876

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabramo View Post
Corsair CMV4GX3m2A133C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3 1333 CL9 Dual Channel Memory - $62.99

If not the LX board, mind throwing some other recommendations?
Ah that's a good price then. However if you plan to overclock, I'd strongly suggest DDR3-1600 as the bare minimum. Gives you more headroom and less to worry about.

As for the motherboard, I prefer to go at least middle ground, if not closer to high-end. That's just personal choice though I suppose. However ASUS's P55 lineup is far too confusing for my liking, so I'm not really sure what to suggest.

The "PRO" doesn't cost too much more: Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

And then there's the Deluxe and Sabertooth:
Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth I55 LGA1156 P55 DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard - DirectCanada
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old November 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 14

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Ah that's a good price then. However if you plan to overclock, I'd strongly suggest DDR3-1600 as the bare minimum. Gives you more headroom and less to worry about.

As for the motherboard, I prefer to go at least middle ground, if not closer to high-end. That's just personal choice though I suppose. However ASUS's P55 lineup is far too confusing for my liking, so I'm not really sure what to suggest.

The "PRO" doesn't cost too much more: Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

And then there's the Deluxe and Sabertooth:
Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth I55 LGA1156 P55 DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard - DirectCanada
Switched the RAM to Gskill 4GB 1600mhz DDR3. Heard lots of good things about Gskill, and it's only about 6 bucks more, surprised I didn't see it sooner. Much obliged for the feedback! Going to try to price match the P55 Pro down to hopefully around $140, though it's unlikely as it's $190 on NCIX, so I may be stuck with the current mobo planned.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Rig (Requesting Some Advice) Safearus New Builds 18 August 17, 2009 08:08 AM
Checking intrest and requesting a price recommendation klaiboi Off Topic 7 June 23, 2009 04:07 PM
New to PC gaming. Requesting help building a rig. Zippoh New Builds 19 November 2, 2008 09:35 AM
Requesting comments or suggestions for my new rig yoda64 Off Topic 10 January 28, 2008 05:55 PM