Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2010, 03:54 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default Need help on build

Hey guys!

I've been in the process of research/building my new gaming rig and i need some help/advice.

Here are the specs so far:

Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX Case
Processor Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X / 3.33 GHz processor LGA1366 Socket
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H70
Ram Corsair Dominator GT 12GB : 3 x 4GB, DIMM 240pinDDR3 2000mhz comes with fan
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
HDD Western Digital HDD 1TB Black 3.5in.Internal SATAII
DVD 22X DVD-RW SATA Dual-Layer Generic DVD Burner
Blu-ray down the line?
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1KW
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 5970 Video Card

I've built my last computer but i haven't done anything in the last 3-4 years so I'm kinda rusty.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Allot of gaming, video editing, photoshop,oh ya internet of course
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
I have a 5G limit right now
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Good old Canada!
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Never had any problems with AMD as i have a Athlon 64x2 right now. ATI is the way to go for video cards! but for the rest im not picky
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I plan to use nothing of my old computer.
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I've searched allot of diff websites and forums
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I do plan on OC but more in the future.
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
within the month of december for X-mas. Merry Christmas to me!
9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1080

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by MonsterGMR; November 14, 2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you're spending that much then you should drop the cooler master PSU (they make terrible PSUs) and get the new antec HCP-1200 or a high wattage corsair.

You could also get an Nvidia GTX 580 for less than a 5970 and they both perform nearly evenly with the 580 being a single card vs the 5970 being a dual card.

Drop the HAF932 and get the HAF X instead. The HAF X is the newer version of the 932 with USB 3 ports and lots of other goodies.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H

howdy and welcome.

what exactly are you going to play and at what resolution? 2 6870's make a better value/and performance than one 5970.

the 980x is good for benches,folding... wayy overpriced. get a 930 and clock the heck out of it. same with ram, get a good six pack of 1600 gskill and the like.

get one ssd for os, 2tb green for media etc

same as above for psu, look for an m12d 850 or better
Old November 14, 2010, 06:33 PM
Rookie
F@H

Thanks guys for the quick replys.

What makes the CM PSU so shitty? I've never had good luck with Nvidia cards in the past. Thanks for the new case didn't realize they had changed it already.

Hey dangtx, for games i have SC2, WOW, BFBC2 etc... For resolution im going to 1920X1080. Im getting a new monitor also but ill be connecting it to my 37" tv to watch movies and what not. Also i want to future proof my new rig so that I don't have to buy/upgrade something in like 2 years. I was going to go one SSD and one 1tb HDD but that SSD is EXPENSIVE!

I did change the PSU to a Corsair AX850 or should i go 1200?

Thanks again !

Almost forgot AWESOME website !
Old November 14, 2010, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterGMR View Post
Thanks guys for the quick replys.

What makes the CM PSU so shitty? I've never had good luck with Nvidia cards in the past. Thanks for the new case didn't realize they had changed it already.

Hey dangtx, for games i have SC2, WOW, BFBC2 etc... For resolution im going to 1920X1080. Im getting a new monitor also but ill be connecting it to my 37" tv to watch movies and what not. Also i want to future proof my new rig so that I don't have to buy/upgrade something in like 2 years. I was going to go one SSD and one 1tb HDD but that SSD is EXPENSIVE!

I did change the PSU to a Corsair AX850 or should i go 1200?

Thanks again !
When a PSU blows then it normally takes some parts with it which is why you want a high quality one. The CM PSUs are normally only good for half of the advertised wattage. I'd personally just go with a high quality 750W PSU. IMO Seasonic and Delta make the best PSUs. Pretty much all of the corsair power supplies are seasonic and some of the antec PSUs are seasonic and the rest are delta. Here's a detailed list of PSU manufacturers and who uses them.

I guess that graphics card brands are personal preference but I've had problems with ATi drivers and I've heard off lots of people who've had similar issues. The most future proof you can get right now is the GTX 580, it supports tesselation (the 5970 doesnt) and you'd be able to get another one later on where with 2x 6870s if you wanted to upgrade then you'd have to sell them and get a new set of cards.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
Banned
F@H

looks like youll be very fine with one card from what you are saying, heck a 6850 will be cool.

psu wise, future proofing, the way i see ati doing things, the 850 watt will be cool.

ax is a tad more expensive, you can ind the seasonic on uber special at like 100 buckers.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might wanna check out the sticky and answer the questions... What you got now is some mass overkill on the CPU and not enough saturation for the GPU.... Not a wise way to spend your money.

Get a Corsair PSU instead of the Cooler Master. That's a given. As for the RAM... Do you really need that? Again, please answer the sticky and edit your first post, and we'll be able to help you out better.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:01 PM
Rookie
F@H

I apologize for that didn't go trough the whole forums. Will check it out from now on !
Old November 14, 2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
F@H

no worries maite. just watch out for the boogie man :D

seriously,though. were here to help,bitch about this and that,help some more, fold on the side which i think one may take a look at as well, if possible :) specially with that much hp under the hood.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$5000 budget.... Is that a bit of overkill?! I don't even know how to help you LOL

You might wanna consider getting a SSD as your primary drive, while using the WD Black as your secondary. A lot of people love SSDs cus they're so fast. I haven't used em myself, nor know how to use em, so I can't help you there as well.