Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2010, 08:21 PM
Banned
F@H

sweet jesus. sure you can buy a very expensive system vs the one we tried to get you get, but it wont be really a food, hell not even an ok bang for buck because of your usage.

but if you really have to spend that dough, then get yourself an sr2 with two xeons and then were talking big
Old November 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Killer Rig indeed, always like seeing others spending serious coin on thier hobbies ( The Black Widow) ;) With that said:

1. A decent Air Cooler will perform better than that Corsair H70 (Push / Pull Config)
2. The 980X is a killer Processor...absolutely amazing, not necessary, but your building a high end Rig
3. 12GB.....just get yourself 2 x 6GB kits of Corsair Dominator, cheaper than 3 x 4Gb Kits and faster Timings
4. Definitely get at least one SSD for your OS ( 2 is even better) along with a couple of WD Black Drives
5. 1 for now, possibly 2 x GTX 580's (forget about the 5970)
6. Corsair AX 1.2 kW or Silverstone ST 1.5 kW PSU (thier are others out thier, but I'm not up to speed on those Brands, other folks here are)
7 1920 x 1080 Monitor...NO WAY...not with this Rig, at least 1920 x 1200 or better yet, check out the Dell 27" and 30" (2560 x 1440 or 2560 x 1600)

Hey, you're talking about a 5K Rig.....load her up man!!

Old November 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
Rookie
F@H

I know the 5k$ budget is high but ill be keeping this rig for a long time. I fold with my PS3 already but didnt know u could with the pc Amazing!

As for SSD I was looking at what Intel has but do u guys have any recommendations?

Whats wrong with the HD 5970 ? Every review or comment i've seen have been really positive.
Old November 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterGMR View Post
I know the 5k$ budget is high but ill be keeping this rig for a long time. I fold with my PS3 already but didnt know u could with the pc Amazing!

As for SSD I was looking at what Intel has but do u guys have any recommendations?

Whats wrong with the HD 5970 ? Every review or comment i've seen have been really positive.
If you ask me, it's better to spend like $3000 now, and make that computer last for say 3 years, then buy another $3000 computer later. Future proofing for more than 3 years is pretty hard to do now with all these technological enhancements, new software that require more power, etc.

I think the reason why people don't recommend the ATI 5970 much anymore is because it's getting a bit old, and the 6000 series GPU set to replace that is coming out in just a month or two. Plus, the NVIDIA GTX 580 seems to be the better GPU of the two. That and you can fold on it!
Old November 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly wouldn't spend anymore than $2500 on a non-folding rig. (peripherals excluded) No matter how much money I might somehow come across.

As for reasons not to get the 5970:

1. You're setting yourself up for buyers remorse with the ATI/AMD refresh coming up.
2. It's old tech.
3. It's a dual GPU card that performs slightly better than the Nvidia single GPU offering at a similar price.
4. Chances are a 580 won't get totally blown away by any of the ATI/AMD 6xxx single GPU offerings. Judging by the way AMD has been chopping down TDP at least.
Old November 16, 2010, 03:08 PM
Rookie
F@H

Thanks allot guys and girls!

So i've done changes to the case, the PSU and the HDD. I'm gonna wait a bit for the video card and see what happens with ATI/AMD. Ive been saving my money too so that helps. I will definitely help with the F@H.

I'm just stuck on that SSD vs HDD debate. SSDs are expensive for what u get but have the plus of booting faster. While HDD are cheaper and have more capacity but a bit slower for booting. Its a win-win i guess.