Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2010, 11:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Talking Seeking AMD build advice Please.

Hey guys, I've been reading quite a few build threads that you all have been helping people with and feel that I've learned quite a bit from you guys. Thank you all for the time you spend here on these forums. O.K., now I'll pull my nose out and humbly ask your opinions on my selected components.

I'm not going to build this myself, but instead to save some time and perhaps some grief, I'm going to let the fine folks at NCIX do it for us. For fifty bucks, it seems like a good value, If only for the warranty and to avoid the DOA's.

We live in North Western B.C., so everything will be purchased from NCIX.

This system will be used for all the every day things, some mild'ish gaming and eventually some video editing (hence the 6 cores) and will be a computer that needs to be somewhat future proofed.

It will never have a Microsoft product installed in it, outside of NCIX's testing that is. I will be installing either Ubuntu or Debian once we get it and still haven't done enough research into the 32 vs 64 bit issues with linux, so 4GB's of ram will do for now.

I've read, we would be better off with a small'ish SSD for the OS and a large HDD for the data storage, but I would love to hear someone else's experience in going this route. Was it that advantagious, or is it not worth the expenditure. Also, I've never come accross a howTo for setting up more than one drive and would really appreciate it if one of you folks could point us in the direction of a good website for this purpose.

It would be nice to have the ability to one day mess around with overclocking, but it isn't high on the priority list. At some point in it's lifetime, it will become the machine for a motorhome, so in the interest of lowering the power consumption during idle, under clocking will have to be a reality.

The budget is $1200 and the purchaser is fixed on this, so if there are better deals out there, or corners that should/could be cut, please, don't hesitate to share your thoughts.

The new owner Isn't an AMD fanboy, but is an Intel hater, so of the two options, We'll be restricted to AMD.

Components:

CPU: AMD 1090T X6 - NCIX - $239.99
Cooler: Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System- PM'd - $65.61
Mobo: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H-usb3.0 - PM'd -$130.52
Case: STORM SCOUT GAMING CASE STORM - PM'd- $59.79
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 - NCIX - $79.99
SDD: ??? - Still awaiting budget restraints.
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 - $65
DVD: Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM - NCIX - $16.99
GPU: Radeon HD 6850 - NCIX - PM'd - $???
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER - NCIX - PM'd - $149.99

That's what I've got so far. I very much look forward to your thoughts.
Thanks a tonne, eh. Kir_b

Last edited by kir_b; November 15, 2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Stupidity & then revisions
Old November 12, 2010, 11:26 PM
Banned
F@H

well if hes fixed on those components then theres nothing we can do to make him change his mind. for ram 1600mhz whatever you find on special, gskill and so forth.

good idea for ssd as os drive and perhaps a 2tb green for storage. i like kingston drives, maybe a 128giger v, should run you under 200 pm'ed. or close.
Old November 13, 2010, 03:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well if hes fixed on those components then theres nothing we can do to make him change his mind. for ram 1600mhz whatever you find on special, gskill and so forth.

good idea for ssd as os drive and perhaps a 2tb green for storage. i like kingston drives, maybe a 128giger v, should run you under 200 pm'ed. or close.
Thanks for the input Dangtx.

We're curious just what kind's of improvements the SSD makes? Example: boot times, speed, Etc.

The components aren't fixed in stone, but they are restricted to avoiding Intel.

We are married to a board with the 4290 ATI onboard Video chipset, for the lowering of power requirements while off the grid, but still maintaining some 3d capability. Unless anyone has a better idea, that is.

Where we need some guidance, is on the brand experience you folks are having, and the avoidance of bad technical decisions, which I'm admittedly very inexperienced with. No matter how much reading I do, I'm not exactly comfortable, or should I say, confident with the choices I've made, so any guidance provided will be very, very much appreciated.

Thanks again. Kir_B
Old November 13, 2010, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stay with the stock cpu cooler especially if the rig is eventually going to end up in the motorhome. No need to have more moving parts than you need. For that reason also I would stay with one old fashioned hard drive.

This will do for ram....
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit - F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL In Canada.
Old November 13, 2010, 07:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Cases are fairly personal, but have you had a look at this series of cases from silverstone? (Price compare link for PM)

SilverStone Technology - SILVERSTONE PS05-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower... - PS05B - Powered by PriceCanada.com

I've used the PS04 and was fairly impressed especially for a budget case....

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Precision PS04B ATX Black Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS - PS04B In Canada.

As far as the memory goes.... I've used GSkill Pi series ram, but the biggest thing to keep your eye on is the fact that most kits are binned for intel boards, so you'll more than likely have to play a bit with the profile when it comes to overclocking. (They'll run out of the box, but need a little bit of TLC to get the tightest possible timings / highest speeds).

The only concern I'd have about using an OS SSD and a Data HDD under Linux is that the user know for sure how to set install/temp locations to the Data drive, and how to ensure that program files are where they need to be.

Personally, I'd recommend an inexpensive after market cooler. The stock ones look quite beefy, but in all honesty do an absolutely crappy job of keeping temps down.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 13, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post

There isn't really enough space for games and other programs and the Green drivers are only good at storage... I would get an SSD + WD Black 1TB

-Plato
Old November 13, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have gigabyte's 890GPA-UD3H that I have used with massive success. I have a personal hatred for Asus lately, the quality of their component haven't been up to par for me.

I've overclocked the board to near 300 FSB, which has brought a 1055T up to just over 4 ghz. the X6's on stock cooling (or otherwise, barring liquid nitrogen and insane voltages) really can't go much higher then that unless you're lucky or something, so you can even save $50 and go for a 1055T if you'd like, however I'd definitely not recommend stock cooling at enhanced clocks. I've matched this with mushkin blackline (which ironically, has blue heatsinks) 4x2GB - ddr3@1333@7-7-7-18 (I think)

I have a Vertex 2 that works great too.

best!
Old November 13, 2010, 09:04 AM
Banned
F@H

big improvements. depending on how much stuffyoull install, 64 can be enough or youll have to settle for a 128. expensive as fudge, but worth the zippiness, if budget permits.

about the cooler, if you are paranoid you could run an extra zip tie or two. but to snatch the stock cooler lose, well it will take a lot.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kir_b View Post
We are married to a board with the 4290 ATI onboard Video chipset, for the lowering of power requirements while off the grid, but still maintaining some 3d capability. Unless anyone has a better idea, that is.
Not quite sure what you're after here. You have a HD6850 listed? The onboard graphics are utterly useless when you have a GPU plugged in.

The only way you'll save power is to shut down your PC, remove the HD6850, plug your monitor into the motherboard and then boot back up. And at idle/2D, I don't think the HD6850 uses an enormous amount of power.

There's no automatic switching between GPUs when paired with a "high-end" one. I think Hybrid CrossfireX only works with a select few low-end GPUs (like HD5450).

Build looks solid otherwise, though you might consider going with the non-Black edition CPU. Sure it won't OC as high, but you can still OC it some if you feel the need to. I'd also consider the Corsair H70 instead of the CoolIT.

If you're able to get to NCIX this weekend, I'd highly suggest picking this up:
NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Six Core CPU & Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H DDR3 Motherboard
Vancouver: 8 Burnaby: 7 Richmond: 7 Langley: 6 FMP: 10 Scarborough: 3 Price: $299.99 CAD
(16.67% OFF Reg. $359.99 Sku:52767)

It's a great combo and I have one myself.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
Banned
F@H

actually he can switch from integrated to pci-e gpu if he wants to(edit : in windows or linux...). i did that on me previous folding rigs.

thats one nice deal right there.

Tags
amd 1090t