Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On sale now:
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit - F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL In Canada.
Old November 13, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ATI drivers are a hit or miss thing. Sometimes they are produce excellent drivers ie: 10.3 or ones that are garbage... And keep in mind that some games might have poor Xfire scaling.

This set of speakers perhaps? NCIX.com - Buy Logitech S220 2.1 Multimedia PC Speakers Black OEM - 980-000023 In Canada.

I would get the CM HAF912, CM 212+ cooler, and a couple of R4 fans. For me, I would not want a case to restrict what I can put into it.

-Plato
Old November 13, 2010, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Whoa thanks for the heads up on those ripjaws! Might as well swap those in considering they're the same price as my previous selection.

Not sure now what I would like to do as far as video card selection goes. Tempting to wait but at the same time I want this thing built in time to play WoW: Cataclysm once it's released on Dec. 7 ha.

One of the guys at NCIX recommended I drop the cheap 2.1 speakers in favor of the speakers you now see as he mentioned they're output will be better. I took his word for it.

As far as cases go I'm having a lot of trouble deciding. I'm beginning to think the hades would be a poor choice given it's restrictions like you said. I've also added a whole bunch of possible options to replace it with. The HAF 912 seems to be a nice, cheap choice. I've also been looking at the HAF922. I'll just list my now gigantic list of choices below as I've gotten myself more confused than ever over which case to choose:

1. NZXT Hades
2. Coolermaster Haf 912
3. Coolermaster Haf 922
4. NZXT Tempest Evo
5. Azza Fantom 900
6. Azza Solano 1000
7. Lancool PC-K62
8. Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition
9. Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced

I believe the Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced is too short to fit the 69xx series however. I'm not so sure about the rest. I also had the Antec Nine Hundred Two on my original list but that was also too short and had no ventilation on the bottom for the PSU.

Thank you for your tops guys! I've already replaced my RAM as advised haha. :)
Old November 13, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Err... what are the speakers? I would get the HAF912 from BestDirect. There isn't really a point in purchasing more expensive cases when the HAF912 outperforms most of them in terms of functionality.

-Plato
Old November 13, 2010, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Err... what are the speakers? I would get the HAF912 from BestDirect. There isn't really a point in purchasing more expensive cases when the HAF912 outperforms most of them in terms of functionality.
Logitech X-140 2.0 5W RMS Black Analog Speakers.

I originally had some cheap Cyber Acoustic speakers when I spoke with him. I don't know if maybe he didn't notice the Logitech S220 or what.

And the HAF912 is really that good? I mean say even compared to the HAF922? It's a good bit cheaper so I can add a bunch of fans for the money I'm saving. I was thinking about getting the HAF912 and buying a 200MM top fan and a 120MM side fan for an extra $16 in total (Coolermaster Megaflow 200MM & Coolermaster R4-L2R-20AC 120MM).

How does that sound? As far as speakers go I'm not sure what I should be looking for to know which sound better. :\
Old November 13, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, the HAF912 is that good and undercuts the competitors :)

For cooling, I would get 3 CM R4 fans as intake (the last one goes in the 5.25bay- zip tie to the bay, block the bottom intake fan, flip PSU to draw air from case, add 2 Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans or 1k RPM fan as exhaust. On the top, I would get 2 more Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans as exhaust. Oh, and I would remove the HD cage which blocks airflow and put my HD in the bottom of the case or in the 5.25 bay.

The Logitech X140 are OK, but they lack bass if you don't have a subwoofer. I have the X240 version which includes the subwoofer. After you get a sub, you will never go back to mundane 2.0 sound. Seriously. Therefore either go to FS or Bestbuy and get the Logitech 2.1 sound systems or get the S220 from NCIX.

Looks good :)

-Plato
Old November 13, 2010, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draiko333 View Post
Whoa thanks for the heads up on those ripjaws! Might as well swap those in considering they're the same price as my previous selection.

Not sure now what I would like to do as far as video card selection goes. Tempting to wait but at the same time I want this thing built in time to play WoW: Cataclysm once it's released on Dec. 7 ha.

One of the guys at NCIX recommended I drop the cheap 2.1 speakers in favor of the speakers you now see as he mentioned they're output will be better. I took his word for it.

As far as cases go I'm having a lot of trouble deciding. I'm beginning to think the hades would be a poor choice given it's restrictions like you said. I've also added a whole bunch of possible options to replace it with. The HAF 912 seems to be a nice, cheap choice. I've also been looking at the HAF922. I'll just list my now gigantic list of choices below as I've gotten myself more confused than ever over which case to choose:

1. NZXT Hades
2. Coolermaster Haf 912
3. Coolermaster Haf 922
4. NZXT Tempest Evo
5. Azza Fantom 900
6. Azza Solano 1000
7. Lancool PC-K62
8. Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition
9. Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced

I believe the Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced is too short to fit the 69xx series however. I'm not so sure about the rest. I also had the Antec Nine Hundred Two on my original list but that was also too short and had no ventilation on the bottom for the PSU.

Thank you for your tops guys! I've already replaced my RAM as advised haha. :)

get the 912 dood, it'll fit i think nearly everything you'll need. was watching hwc's review for the 912 and you can remove the hdd bay to even fit a 5970. looks great too.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd go with the HAF 922, I wouldnt go with anything smaller than a large mid-sized case.
Old November 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Yeah, the HAF912 is that good and undercuts the competitors :)

For cooling, I would get 3 CM R4 fans as intake (the last one goes in the 5.25bay- zip tie to the bay, block the bottom intake fan, flip PSU to draw air from case, add 2 Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans or 1k RPM fan as exhaust. On the top, I would get 2 more Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans as exhaust. Oh, and I would remove the HD cage which blocks airflow and put my HD in the bottom of the case or in the 5.25 bay.

The Logitech X140 are OK, but they lack bass if you don't have a subwoofer. I have the X240 version which includes the subwoofer. After you get a sub, you will never go back to mundane 2.0 sound. Seriously. Therefore either go to FS or Bestbuy and get the Logitech 2.1 sound systems or get the S220 from NCIX.

Looks good :)
Thanks for those suggestions!

I'm a little confused by your fan setup though.. so forgive my ignorance here haha. From what I understand the Haf 912 can take 2 intake fans in the front. So if I place two there mounted with screws where is it the third front fan is going with the zip tie? Up just underneath my DVD drive? Also I don't think the Haf 912 can fit a bottom mounted fan... or did you mean the bottom of the front? IE: I'll mount one fan in the front with screws (about mid-level of the case) and zip tie a second just above that?
As for the PSU.. it's better to draw air from the case than from outside through the bottom vent? Also from what I could see the Haf 912 only has room for one rare exhaust. Or would I be zip tying one to the back as well?

As for HDD mounting... I should first make sure I understand... the 5.25 bay is above the HDD cage which houses my DVD drive, etc. yes? Would it fit there securely? I'm leaning more towards the bottom of the case.. but then would I want the bottom 'front' fan installed in that case? Sorry I'm just trying to picture the setup is all... it sounds promising haha.

As for speakers... yeah I'm kinda thinking I should buy those elsewhere. Unless you recommend the S220?

Thanks again for your help! :)
Old November 15, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
From what I understand the Haf 912 can take 2 intake fans in the front. So if I place two there mounted with screws where is it the third front fan is going with the zip tie? Up just underneath my DVD drive?
Yup
Quote:
Also I don't think the Haf 912 can fit a bottom mounted fan.
Sorry, then disregard my comment then..
Quote:
As for the PSU.. it's better to draw air from the case than from outside through the bottom vent? Also from what I could see the Haf 912 only has room for one rare exhaust. Or would I be zip tying one to the back as well?
I would draw air from inside the case just because there is less dust. The fan in rear is fine.

As for HDD mounting, if there is room in the bottom, then go for it. I'm sure it can fit there securely.

For speakers, you should buy them somewhere else. But if you need cheap one, then they are the ones to get.

-Plato