Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   New build & Graphic Card doubt (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/37861-new-build-graphic-card-doubt.html)

Zealots November 10, 2010 04:48 PM

New build & Graphic Card doubt

hello all!
Iīm in the process of building my new tower, and having all the components bought my only question is about the graphic card. Iīve chosen an Geforce GTX 460 but i donīt know from wich brand to choose from. If an Gigabyte, a Palit, EVGA, Asus etc etc. Wich one is the best? BTW, my config is: Intel Core i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, PNY 4GB 1333 Mhz and a XFX 650W XXX Edition psu.

martin_metal_88 November 10, 2010 05:03 PM

EVGA is pretty good. This years MSI is also pretty nice. Stick with those brand and you will be sure to have a solid procudt. I personnally love the MSI Cyclone since the cooler is pretty awesome and silent.

Edit: Many member use PNY. I never used them myswelf but few here does and they seems pretty good.

_dangtx_ November 10, 2010 05:34 PM

welcome aboard dude. i say look for a sale on either big name brands, cant go wrong with either.

you're getting the 460 for cuda or for gaming? if the latter, you may take a look at radeon hd 6850. overall a better card.

Zealots November 10, 2010 06:37 PM

Not so much for gaming, because i own a console but there are some titles wich i play in the pc and the ones i play are always the haviest. Metro, crysis etc. I watch a lot of 1080p video. I think the gtx has an advantage over the 6850 because of the cuda and physx support, but i can be wrong of course. I currently own a HD 2600XT and it is good but i wanna play the new games in high def so thatīs why i wanna upgrade. Iīm not thinking on oc with the card, but if i go for the hd 6850, or maintain the gtx460 wich brand should i choose?

Thanks for the help

_dangtx_ November 10, 2010 06:42 PM

well, a 460 wont cut metro

now seeing you have updated your location, wel leverything is more expensive there. so anyway, if you want to play the new titles on 1920 and all eye candy on, a few will bring your system to the underground.

Zealots November 10, 2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 448804)
...a few will bring your system to the underground.

Sorry, i didnīt understood what you meant...

_dangtx_ November 10, 2010 07:07 PM

sorry, i meant a few games will be very had, or rather unplayable, at your desired resolution with the quality settings up. that is unles you spend a lot on video cards. fortunately there are not many, unfortunately it is one (metro) you want to play :p

martin_metal_88 November 10, 2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zealots (Post 448807)
Sorry, i didnīt understood what you meant...

Yeah this happen very often that some one can't understand what dan say. ahah.

If you want to play Metro and crysys on a low price I would go with a 5850 or 2X GTS 450. 2 450 will turn around the 5850 price most of the time and it will perform near a 5870 with cuda core + physix. Or 2 460. But one will not be enough if you want tp run Metro at eye candy setting.

Zealots November 10, 2010 07:22 PM

Your saying that a gtx 460 or a hd 6850 wouldnīt handle metro at high def on 1920x1080? I saw a video of the gtx running at high with aa and afx16 on that resolution and it was pretty smooth... Those cards are pretty cheap to us...

LarkStarr November 10, 2010 07:27 PM

those metro benchmarks are at full eye candy (a la dx11) - the game still looks great at dx10 too.

if you're looking for raw power though, definitely hit up an AMD based card, they have the best bang for the buck, and the HD decoding is not half bad either, it's just not as prevalent as Nvidia GPU decoding.