Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Finally First Build! (Budget Gaming)

Building on a tight budget mostly for "future-proofing". I tend to keep computers for a very long time, depending on the GPU I decide on, this should qualify as a gaming rig for at least a few years.

(Yeah, I went nuts on the case, it's my birthday this week.)

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $164.99 NCIX PM Best Direct

Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - won from motherboards.org

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - won from Gigabyte

Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box - $309.99 - $10 gift card + R.U.S.E. DLC NCIX

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Bundled with CPU NCIX

Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV736G1600LLK - $104.35 -$25.00 MIR NCIX

2 X SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM - ~$40 NCIX

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - ~$90 (bought a while ago) NCIX

22-Inch Acer AL2216W DVI/VGA Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor (Black) - $149.99 (had for a while) Source

Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER Gaming Keyboard Fan Cooler 32KB On-board Memory 6 Programmable Keys KB-CHL002US - gift

Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS BLACK Wired Professional Gaming Mouse 4000dpi Laser Engine On-Board Display Adjustable Weight Mouse MO-BLK002DT - gift

That leaves OS, GPU and sound card to purchase:

OS: Tough decision with the staggering variety of OS for gaming rigs. I'm thinking Windows 7 64-bit.

GPU: GTX 460? 5850? 6870? Bring on the price wars! Somewhere $200-ish, once I'm able to build a functioning computer from all these parts and all these cables...

Sound: Not high priority, I like the Auzentech low profile one with the breakout cables. $50-$100

Also: Flirting with the idea of a 60GB Sandforce SSD right away.

Right now I'm waiting on the mobo.

Last edited by eunoia; November 6, 2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: 6870, fixed 6780
Old November 5, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm no gamer but a 460 to start and then another one for sli sounds like a good idea. You can do some pretty good folding with that set up also.............

Nice rig by the way
Old November 5, 2010, 03:12 PM
Banned
F@H

i would say amd 6850, in the 180 something price point a pop. clock to hell if you wish, they'll do good :)
Old November 5, 2010, 03:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Not exactly budget gaming IMO But a good configuration

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old November 5, 2010, 08:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be honest. TT is getting better at making a PSU (the new ones just released are very nice) however that one is a little on the iffy side of things. I'd honestly consider selling it as BNIB or LNIB and finding something like a Silverstone Strider or NZXT Hale 90 etc etc.

Again, just my thoughts it probably will run anything just fine, but there are much better units out there.

Otherwise everything looks good.
For GPU's its a toss up really. I have faith in both the 460's available or the 6850s out there right now. A Pair of either (well one to start) is a good basis.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2010, 09:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I'll be honest. TT is getting better at making a PSU (the new ones just released are very nice) however that one is a little on the iffy side of things. I'd honestly consider selling it as BNIB or LNIB and finding something like a Silverstone Strider or NZXT Hale 90 etc etc.

Again, just my thoughts it probably will run anything just fine, but there are much better units out there.

Otherwise everything looks good.
For GPU's its a toss up really. I have faith in both the 460's available or the 6850s out there right now. A Pair of either (well one to start) is a good basis.

ST

I believe you are reffering to the TT Toughpower Grand, correct? I picked a 750W 2 weeks ago and it is one fine unit

As for the GPU, it is really up to you. I would personally go with a 6870, but a 6850 or GTX460 are both capable cards. add another one for xfire/sli and you got a wicked rig on your hands.

Question. Why all the TT peripherals? any good word on them?
Old November 5, 2010, 09:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
I believe you are reffering to the TT Toughpower Grand, correct? I picked a 750W 2 weeks ago and it is one fine unit

As for the GPU, it is really up to you. I would personally go with a 6870, but a 6850 or GTX460 are both capable cards. add another one for xfire/sli and you got a wicked rig on your hands.

Yeah, its a really odd shaped unit by PSU standards but finally they got a damn good OEM product to put there name on.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 6, 2010, 01:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
You can do some pretty good folding with that set up also.............
From what I understand, I'll be getting at least twice the PPD of my P4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I'll be honest. TT is getting better at making a PSU (the new ones just released are very nice) however that one is a little on the iffy side of things.
I tried to sell it because I wasn't using it, but wouldn't get anywhere near what it cost. Not a lot of info on this particular model, ESA never really caught on, but the UR# is E303666 and from the retail price I'm guessing ChannelWell made it, so I'm not too worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Long story on the gift, and I haven't tried them yet, but they're without a doubt both much better than I have now.

Thanks for commenting! The GPU is a bit of a head-scratcher, but knowing the history of this build, I'll drive myself crazy for awhile, then grab one of the 3 on impulse. (errr...4, including the 6850, just read SKYMTL's article...)

Last edited by eunoia; November 6, 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old November 6, 2010, 09:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice. Get a 6870 and save up for a second.
Old November 6, 2010, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I personally would have made one of your burner drives and Blu-ray burner. As for the GPU get a couple Gigabtye 6850's. Also get a 40GB Corsair SSD for the Windows 7 OS.

P.S. A future upgrade for you to think about getting is a 27-Inch LED Back-lit LCD Monitor.