New HTPC Build
I'm going to build a new SageTV 'Client' PC. It will replace our old Dell P4. All media is stored on a WHS machine.
What we hope it will accomplish is:
1. Have lots more power. HD has greatly increased our power requirements, even with hardware acceleration on the GPU. Also we want to use Comskip (a commercial marking software) and it's very cpu intensive.
2. Be quieter. When we do HD on the old Dell it's fan winds up like it's about to take off!
3. Be reliable. Getting worried our old Dell may be getting tired.
4. Keep costs to a minimum but have good value.
Here's what I am thinking of using: (Please keep in mind that with our internal soundcard we don't need HDMI. DVI out from the video card is all we need.) All prices are from Direct Canada. Supposedly they include free shipping on over $300.
1. Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio. $57.88
2. ASUS M4N68T-M mATX AM3 GF7025 NF630A DDR3 PCI-E16 PCI-E 2XPCI SATA2 RAID Audio Motherboard $51.48
3. Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Kit $68.79
4. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty* $37.99
5.AMD Athlon II x4 635 Quad Core Processor AM3 2.9GHZ 2MB L2 Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box C3 Stepping $100.82
6. ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black $23.92
New parts we already have, or are ordered:
1. Win 7 Home, OEM
2. Antec PSU Basiq BP550
3. Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box.
We will use our old Video card - an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64 bit PCIx. Might upgrade that later if needed.
*Added in an Edit* We will also use our Asus Essence ST 5.1 Sound Card. Our only audio use will be from the Analog Outs on this card.
The HD is more than we need for this application - but the price is great! We have the same case for our server and really like it.
Would appreciate any comments, especially on the mobo. Also I can't tell if this CPU comes with a cooler. Might I need a separate one?
Thanks very much,
ps04b for case.
The case looks great, and at a nice savings. Also I'll be able to tell it apart from my server!
The mobo looks like a new model. It certainly offers a lot more for very few additional $. I was about to ask why you suggested this mobo when I realized I had forgotten to include this. "*Added in an Edit* We will also use our Asus Essence ST 5.1 Sound Card. Our only audio use will be from the Analog Outs on this card." Since we will use our old video and soundcards are there other reasons we might want to use this mobo?
I just found a great HTPC case.
Nmedia HTPC-8000 Red Wooden Desktop Media Centre Case ATX 1X5.25 4X3.5INT Card Reader No PSU
While not fitting in with the budget build, I think the extra money is worth it in our situation. We have large 1958 Klipschorn speakers and some other old furniture in our HT room. And I think it will be a conversation piece. Has anyone here used or seen this case?
I must apologize to anyone (especially dangtx) that spent time chosing a mobo for me from the original first thread. Not mentioning my soundcard was a real oversight. Sorry!
I'm still wondering if there is any advantage to the suggested Gigabyte mobo over our original Asus considering we will have both video and sound cards?
I still can't tell if a cooler comes with the CPU. It's a 'Retail' box. Does that usually include a cooler as opposed to an OEM box?
Thanks very much for any help.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 PM.|