Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2010, 10:19 PM
Rookie

Default 300w psu enough?

Hey

built a computer about a month ago and i had some recent problems with my ram. I am kind of concerned my psu might not be enough, I am using the 300w psu that came with my case. I primarily use the computer as a media centre and i also use it for photoshop stuff.

here are my specs:
MOBO: GA-880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 955 black edition
Ram: 4gigs gskill ripjaw DDr3-1333
HD: 1tb WD caviar green SATA 3 Gb/s 64MB (OEM)
I use the onboard video card Radeon HD4250
I have a usb wifi, wireless keyboard/mouse combo and i also have a usb attached dvd rw (with its own power) and a usb 1tb WD HD, also with its own power.
I am also running Win7 64bit ultimate

Let me know if i am fine with 300w or if i should upgrade. Just worried that my ram problem could have been due to not enough power. ALSO i tried some of the calculators, most say i am good but i don't really trust them because they aren't specific
Old October 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
Top Prospect

You should be fine with 300W, but I simply don't trust cheap quality units at all. Have you tried running memtest86 or moving the ram into the other 2 slots, just in case those slots have gone bad?

If you are really concerned about the power supply and wish to upgrade it, then I would recommend getting a Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or Silverstone unit. Here is a link for you to the Corsair CX430...

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply $45

Let us know how everything goes
Old October 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I would upgrade the psu. I had nothing but bad experiences with Generic PSU's.

Buy the brands xlilmissmjx recommend.

The newer powersupplies now have an energy efficiency certificate, bronze, silver and gold. Meaning the power drawn from your outlet to your psu is being used 80% or more effectivly.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlilmissmjx View Post
You should be fine with 300W, but I simply don't trust cheap quality units at all. Have you tried running memtest86 or moving the ram into the other 2 slots, just in case those slots have gone bad?

If you are really concerned about the power supply and wish to upgrade it, then I would recommend getting a Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or Silverstone unit. Here is a link for you to the Corsair CX430...

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply $45

Let us know how everything goes
+1 on trusting "cheap" generic power supplies... If I buy a cheap case that comes with a psu, first thing I do is chuck the power supply and replace it with a quality unit... Even if it's a budget box I never trust cheap psu's, you're only asking for trouble... when they do crap out (and they will eventually) they often damage other components like the mobo in the process... Get a good one, it's definitely money well spent.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

UPGRADE IT.

You will not be fine with that PSU. Forget about wattage. That thing is bullocks through and through. You need a good quality PSU before you need good quality anything else in your computer.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 26, 2010, 12:24 AM
MVP
F@H

HOLY JUMPING MOTHER OF GOD NO!

Upgrade the PSU. The only thing those generic case PSUs are good for powering is some fans. And even then I've had PSUs die when they're just powering 2 120mm fans and nothing else.
Old October 26, 2010, 05:27 AM
Banned
F@H

depending on the 'crappy' psu some are better off then others, but since you have a phenom quad i would get better. some say the corsair 430 is a downgrade from the 400, so if you can finds the 400 anywhere get it.

while at it, get a cm 212+ too :)
Old October 26, 2010, 06:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

+1 Again here, you can cheap out on many things in a rig but never on the power supply. As others have stated, it's not a matter of wattage but a matter of quality.

Old October 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
Rookie

thanks for the info everyone... i currently have the supply that came with my case it is made by in win: IP-P300DF1-0

here is the problemo my case is a slim mATX and my psu fits fine at 6.9x3.3x2.6 inches (size of psu)... it is next to impossible to find another psu with a similar size and i like the slim fitting case cause it fits in my media rack.

anyways thanks for all your help i will look around
Old October 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile PC Builders and Tweakers Corner

+1 for a better psu. I'm no expert, but how good is the air circulation. This may all fit into a small area, which is fine, but you must make certain there is good airflow to keep temps.in line. High temps can do funny things to a system.

A crappy psu could well be the problem. With 64 bit systems 8 gbs of ram on a regular dual channel board runs best. For a media center a bit much though. What kind of problem are you getting?