Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2010, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Putting Together A New Computer

So, after a fair bit of research (thanks to everyone who helped in my other threads ) I've come up with what I think is a great build that fits my budget.
Here's the build.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ~ $239.98
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDe...t=Combo.532110

G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333 ~ $70.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231190

Zotac GTX 460 1GB ~ $191.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814500169

Samsung Spinpoint 500GB ~ $55.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822152181

LiteOn 24x DVD Drive ~ 19.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16827106289

Corsair CX430 ~ $49.49
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139017

Antec Three Hundred Case ~ $59.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811129042

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ~ $99.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Shopping/Shoppi...82E16832116754

Subtotal: $788.41
Shipping: $33.82
Tax: $106.89
Total: $929.12

It's great that I have all the parts picked out :) but physically building it is another story. I've looked at the pictures of what I'm going to be getting, and after reading a few walk throughs (This and this and this), I feel a little bit of confidence in my self :D
I've drawn up some diagrams in Paint that I will use to explain all my knowledge about building the actual computer.

The CPU goes here. Line it up correctly, make sure the marked corners are aligned. Apply thermal paste on top of the CPU, then apply the fan/heatsink on top of the CPU. A little confused about the heat sink, but I think it's hard to understand without having it in front of me.
This is where the RAM goes Gently push the sticks of RAM in, until the 'things' on the side snap and hold them. For two sticks, you have to use two of the same colour slots right? (look at how much technical lingo I know :p)
Graphics Card Very carefully insert the 460 in here.
Power supply. Goes in from the back and sits there. Will have a Sh*tton of cables coming off of it.
Hard Drive Hard drive some how slides into this little tray thing and then gets fastened with screws.
DVD Drive Goes in basically the same as a hard drive, except you have to pop out a front panel though and align the front face of the disk drive with the front of the case.
IO Panel Pop the IO panel that comes on the case out, and replace with the one that came with the Motherboard. The thing circled in pink on the motherboard will come through the holes on the IO panel. Line this up before doing anything with the motherboard.
Motherboard screws Find the right screws that hold your motherboard to the side of the case. Mark them, and then put the mounting screws in them. Motherboard attaches to these.

This is how I would go about building it. A sentence surrounded by ?s means I'm unsure about this part.
Check that everything is there. Open up all the boxes. Makes sure nothing is obviously damaged, and that I got what I ordered.
Prepare a working environment. A wooden table on a hard wood floor would probably be what I would be building on.
Make sure I'm always grounded and touch something that is grounded before working with components.
Open up the case on one side by unscrewing the side.
Pop out the IO panel and replace with the one that came with the mobo.
Check the motherboard against the case. Find the correct mounting holes. Mark them and then put the screws in them.
Place the CPU, WITH OUT USING ANY FORCE in the CPU socket. Apply thermal paste in an even layer on top of the CPU. Attach the heatsink/fan.
Put the two sticks of RAM in THE SAME colour 'holes'. The things on the side will snap shut and hold the RAM.
Attach the motherboard to the case.
Unfasten the cover of the PSU spot. Slide the PSU in and refasten the cover.
Pop the other side of the case off as I will need to fasten hard/optical drive mounting screws on both sides.
Remove a drive bay cover and slide my DVD drive in until it is flush with the case. ?Connect the Sata cable that came with my motherboard to the drive?
Slide the hard drive in to a drive bay, fasten it with screws. ?Attach a Sata cable from the mother board to? ?Attach a SATA power cable to the hard drive? (Were do these cables come from?)
Install the graphics card into the PCI-E slot on the motherboard. Shouldn't require a lot of pressure. ?Attach a power cable to the graphics card? (Once again, does it come with PUS, GFX or mobo? Where does it go to, PSU or mobo?)
How am I suppose to hook everything together? Will all the hardware have documentation detailing what it needs to run? Will the motherboard manual have identification of which cable is which? Then after hooking all of that together, some how manage to route all the cables, so things aren't dangling all over the place and the case has decent air flow.

There its together!

In the BIOS select the DVD drive as 1st Boot Device in the Boot menu.
In the BIOS select, for the hard drive, ACHI over IDE mode.
Hit f10 to save changes and exit. Will saving changes and exiting power down the computer? Should I have to do anything else here if I want everything to run at stock?
Have the Win7 disk in the drive (do you have to manually open the disk drive to put the disk in, or do you sneak it in there while the computer is turning on.
Follow the on screen instructions to install it my hard drive.
There, am I done. Right?

Well, thats all my knowledge about putting together a computer. I figure I can do all of that pretty competently. Is getting everything into place that easy, or am I missing something?
But, :o my God! The wiring! In the guides I've looked at, it seems like everything has at least two wires going/coming from it. I don't know if I would be able to figure it all out. Is everything well documented in manuals that come with the hardware, or is it hell trying to figure out what goes where? How hard is it to wire a system? Any tips on wiring?

Well, that basically sums up my questions. I know that it is a lot to read, but I want to be sure I can put together to computer before me and family pay $1000 for parts. If you read it all, and help. Then thank you so so much.

Last edited by Zawmbeez; October 24, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old October 23, 2010, 11:42 PM
Banned
F@H

welcome aboard dude.

that cpu sits inbetween a hexa core and much cheaper duallies. what do you do with it, or rather what will it be used for once its built?

for gpu get a 6850.

case wise ps04b, or if you need lots airflow, cm 370 on the cheap.

i would go with an equivalent giga board, perhaps an 870a, check sky's review.100 dollars of good board. cpu, not knowing what youll do with it, either a 240 or 1055

buy wherever's cheaper. ncix lets you pricematch
Old October 24, 2010, 12:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, it'd really help for more specifics on what you plan to use it for.

I usually buy from NCIX because they price match no questions asked and I've always had good service with them but then I rarely make a lot of purchases at once. With Newegg, I've helped American friends plan entire builds and found Newegg combo deals can be really good. I'm looking at Newegg.ca and not finding any combos though... Then again I'm the sort of person who rummages through the fridge for ten minutes to find the ketchup was in the front the whole time. Anywho, my usual price comparison sites:
Shopbot - Compare prices - Canada - Price Comparison - Comparison Shopping
PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison!
Old October 24, 2010, 07:48 AM
Rookie

Updated the original post.

Thanks for the build help. It's mostly going to be used for internet browsing, e-mails and watching videos (me and the rest of the family). I want to use to play some newer games on decent settings. Probably in 1980x1200. If you could throw together a dual core build for me, that would be great. I'm considering it now, but from what I've put together it doesn't come out that much cheaper for two less cores. If I could get a cheaper dual core build, that would be great and something to consider. But at the moment, looking at benchmarks the quad beats the dual core, by a lot in most situations.

And thanks for the price checking sites. NCIX looks like it could be the cheapest. Have you always gotten your prices matched? One of them was over 20% so they "have to review it", would I still get it?

What I really need help with is fitting it all together. Like I said, I've read through those guides, but the wiring still frightens me. Is every clearly documented/labeled in the manual(s)? Any detailed help on wiring a system like this?

Last edited by Zawmbeez; October 24, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You should be fine with your build. Maybe up the power supply to a slightly more powerful one (seasonic s12II 520w comes to mind) though it probably isn't required.

The heat sink won't be a problem for you, since when you get a CPU the heatsink it comes with has thermal paste pre-applied and use the instructions it comes with to install (dead easy with amd processors)
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
Rookie

Okay thanks everyone. I posted basically the same question on a different forum, and I think I've got all my answers. :)
Old October 24, 2010, 08:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Wiring D:

That was what I had the most trouble with on my first build. But different computer plugs all have pretty distinct shapes and sizes and your motherboard manual will be your best friend.
Old October 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovine.baron View Post
Wiring D:

That was what I had the most trouble with on my first build. But different computer plugs all have pretty distinct shapes and sizes and your motherboard manual will be your best friend.
yah, thats the general impression I got. Should be building it soon
Old October 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Make sure to buy some some zip ties! It doesn't look like that case has any cable management holes so it'll be harder to keep everything organized and neat. Also I'd build it on the weekend or on a day-off, I know I spent like 3-4 hours putting everything together for my first build to get everything the way I wanted it lol.
Old October 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

One thing I hate when I build computers is connecting the freakin front-panel connectors to the motherboard. I have seen some case providing a connector block instead of individual connectors though in my last build. Was very happy.

Tags
build , first time , guide , step