Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
Trial Member

Default new build suggestions

Hi Guys,

im looking to replace a webserver and a freenas box with possibly one low power itx setup.

At the moment ive got a dell rackmount server sucking up the grid running esxi and an old p4 running freenas which sounds like it taking off - they both work great! but I need to cut down on power usage and also the noise!!. :(

Power is the big one here I want to get it as low as possible.

If i could combine both into one itx box that would be great!!

Nas requests - used for file dump - (no need to streaming music or videos), would like raid - can take 2 - 4 drives - possible removable bays in case? gigabit network socket(or 2!).

Webserver requests -to Run XP, simple mysql, php etc, nothing straining.

I wouldnt mind somthing I could run esxi on as well ? - so maybe I could run a couple of vms? no idea if this bit is possible.

.....dont need any cd drives or gfx cards etc, from what ive read I dont think a realtek nic is compatible with esxi...only intel.

Any ideas on hardware? is nas / webserver possible on same box? neither will be under heavy use. I will be doing the odd backup to the nas.

thanks for your help in advance, any pointers would be great. I have looked the stand alone nas's reviews and they are either too much or tempermental - I think performance would be a lot bettr fro somthing home built.
Old October 18, 2010, 04:12 PM
Banned
F@H

howdy and welcome aboard.

low power would be an i3 530 and matching giga board. will it be enough? perhaps.

in the same price range i would go with an athlon II x4 build. it will eat more juice, but you got 4 real cores to work with.

you can pick up a tower cooler, like the cooler master 212+ for cheap, at least up here in cana da. it could run your 530 fanless or close.