Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Default New PC build.

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time reader of this site and first time poster.

In the next couple of months I will be putting together a new PC build from the ground up. This will be my 5th build in 3 yrs. I caught the bug after the first one an have been enjoying it ever since.
This build will take as long as it takes for the new AMD 69XX series to come out as I am waiting for specs/benchmark on those.

What will be included in the build so far:

Case: NZXT Phantom (blk)
Mobo: GA-X58A-UD7
CPU: Core i7 950
PSU: Antec truepower 1200w
GPU: yet to be determined (most likely Cross Fire though)
Memory: Corsair Dominator GT 2000 3x2GB
SDD: OCZ Vertex Series 120GB
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX
NIC: Killer 2100
Optical: Plextor - DX-B9400SA
HDD: 2X 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 - 3x 1TB WD Black

Now my question is: Is there anything that you would take away, add in, up grade or down grade? Has anyone had any negative experiences with any of the above hardware or heard of anyone having a bad experience with it, as well as positives?

I have done the online research, but its nice to get real public opinion.

Thanks in advanced - and here's to my first post!
Old October 16, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really think that you need a dedicated NIC. The onboard ones are good enough these days.

I'm sure that DDR3-1600 RAM is good enough for an I7 build, even for overclocking. I read that there isn't much of a difference between 1600 and 2000 in terms of performance besides the fact that 2000 is way more expensive than 1600...

EDIT: Forgot my manners :(

Welcome to the forums!!!

-Plato
Old October 16, 2010, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Yeah, the NIC is, in my opinion, a complete waste of money. There are tons of reported issues with Killer cards, even causing a reduction in fps, and increased latency in some games. I'd save that money and spend it on something more beneficial.
Old October 16, 2010, 07:31 PM
Banned
F@H

welcome aboard maite.

very nice mobo, but unless you want to populate ALL slots? youre spending a good 100-150 extra for nothing :)

overkill ram unless you like bench scores .
Old October 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Welcome

If you can find a i7 920 D0 they cn overclock to 4 GHz if you find a good one on Kijiji or some one here is selling one.

Or a i7 930 and hope fore a good one and Overclock.

If you want to spend some cash i7 980x will ruen you anithing else. ( 6cores 12 threads and unlocked multi ) :)
Old October 17, 2010, 06:31 AM
Allstar

Welcome! Unless your potential GPUs in crossfire will require 2 or 3 slots each, you may as well downgrade your mobo. Can't say until we see a final product from AMD. Same goes for the PSU.

+1 on the 1600 RAM, 2000 won't affect performance in the same ratio it will the price, by a large margin.

You might end up waiting 6 months for the 69xx series. 5970 prices have come down to 600$. 2nd generation custom air-cooled 480s are out this month from Galaxy for 480$ but costs 3 slots each on your mobo.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 480 Super OC 1536MB Overclocked Introduction and Overclocking :: TweakTown USA Edition

Then I saw how much HD space you want and I wonder what you intend to do with it. Media Center + Gaming? Can't comment on that.

As for NIC, unless you have the best CPU, GPU, RAM, case, HDD possible, and have money to spare, then your money is better spent somewhere else. There were reviews on it a couple of years ago and all concluded it was a gimmick. Traffic will pass from your PC to 10-20 routers over the internet to a Game Server and back across 10-20 routers back to your PC. This is where most of the delay is happening and nothing you can buy can change that.

I would (if I were lucky to work on this project) be worried about how I utilize the 6970's potential power. Any display below 2560x1600, or for example three 1920x1080 displays in eyefinity would definitely leave most of the GPU's processing unseen on your display, meaning it would go to waste.
Old October 17, 2010, 06:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd use a Corsair Force 40 or 60GB SSD for the OS.

And use the 5 1TB HDD's for Storage.

For the PSU I'd going with the Corsair AX850 ( If going crossfire X get the AX1200)

CPU wise and for some future-proofing go with the I7 970 6-core
Old October 18, 2010, 01:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter11 View Post
CPU wise and for some future-proofing go with the I7 970 6-core
Since he's waiting a couple months anyways, might as well grab a 1155 (2500/2500k) sandy bridge and wait for the 2011 in Q3.
Old October 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
Rookie

Default What would you build for $3000.00?

Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like the NIC is out. That one was one of my big 2nd guesses. Does it really make a difference? Apparently not.

As far as storage goes I did decide to go with the 120gb OCZ Vertex. It was on sale. $80 bucks off, I couldn't refuse. lol As for the 5TB of hard drive space, I already own those from previous builds and been carrying them with me. The SSD is stricktly boot drive and some programs and the HDDs are stricktly storage.

Ive noticed alot of people (not just on these forums but on others) that recommened the i7 920 over the i7 950. Why is this? In my own research ( and maybe I've missed something) they are all exactly the same but the 920 is 2.66ghz with x20 multiplier vs. the 950 3.06 with x23 multiplier. Now ive also read that the 950 could potentially clock the same or higher than the 920 but at lower voltage. Again, just read this. So what exactly is the difference? It can't be the price, because where I am, the local PC shops sell the 920 for about $20-$40 more than the 950. This was about 2 weeks ago, now they don't carry them it seems. Is the 920 more sought after beacause it starts at a lower clock speed so with overclocking it compared to the 950 (if both were clocked to 4ghz) the increase is greater therefor bigger increase and money better spent? What if you could get a i7 950 for cheaper than a 920 - which one would you take?

My biggest decision right now is the motherboard. I looked at the Gigabyte - UD7 board today and im second guessing myself now. The PCI-e slots look really close to one another. Cards in SLi or CF would be almost touching each other. I can't imaging there wouldn't be much airflow between the 2 cards. Would this be a future issue for overheating? Lets say you have a budget of $300-$400 on a motherboard, which one are you buying? Reminder that there will be overclocking and Sli or CF.
Was also looking at the Asus Rampage III Extreme. Thoughts? R3E vs. GA-UD7.

Again I'm courious to see what others would build. My budget for my PC build (case only no monitor) is $3000.00. If you were given a $3000.00 dollar budget, what would you build?

P.S I was hoping to have all this build done by January sometime. Just waiting on the Video card to see if the improvments would be worth going to 68xx or 69xx or CF 2x58xx or 59xx after the big price drop.

Thanks again for the responses. much appreciated!

Last edited by Fuzzbean; October 18, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old October 19, 2010, 12:13 AM
Allstar

950 for sure. No need to worry about video card spacing on the UD7, nor the Rampage as there are 4 PCI-E slots for that.