Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2010, 06:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Master and slave

Dumb question but when using Win 7, SATA, and a SSD and HDD drive is there a master / slave configuration ( or is that justa a IDE thing)? I just hooked them up to the motherboard and I am formating the HDD now via Win 7 but didn't do any thing like flip any jumpers or anything. I don't even remember seeing jumpers on the HDD come to think of it. TIA. Sorry to be such a noobie.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its just a IDE thang as they allowed upto two devices per port. Unless you get into port multipliers SATA = 1 drive per port. Thus no need to worry about it as you have SATA only drives.

What you NEED to worry about it is where Win 7 sticks that little arsed partition it makes during installtion. You can get around this...but the EASIEST way is to do what I recommend for win 7 installations and yank ALL "data" drives and only having the OS drive plugged in. Nothing sucks more than having a data "D" drive die on you that makes your OS stop working!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2010, 06:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks!. Win 7 is on the SSD and took up 17.5 GB of 64 GB. I am formating the WD 1 TB drive now and for some reason my BIOS or Windows put the C drive as the SSD, the D drive as the DVD player, the E drive as the Blue Ray player , and the new Hard drive is F. I guess that is OK but it sure is taking a long time to format the drive. I guess my next plan is to install all the drivers from the CDs that came with the MB, Video Card, etc and update things.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

as someone once said, don't use those pesky DVD drivers unless you dont have access to the internet, always download the latest drivers from the manufacturer website for each component.

My Boinc Stats
Old October 16, 2010, 01:47 PM
Rookie
F@H

If you want to change the drive letters you can just go to the windows start menu and then go to run. Type "diskmgmt.msc" in the run box and then right click on the drives and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". For some reason it has always bugged me not having the optical drive as the last available letter.