Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
For memory, I prefer Mushkin, and a rep. from one of the lifetime warranty memory manufacturers told me that
socket 1366 seems to work best with 1866mhz, though I would most likely go 2000. Any of the lifetime warranty ram is ok.

I was actually looking for Mushkin but it's not available at the speeds and quantity I am looking for (2x 2gig was all I could find of good stuff on newegg, which is where I'm limited to buying from)

As for the 1866 ram.. the only 1 type they have is in 1 gig sticks... and I'd like the option of upgrading in the future without binning what I am buying now..
Old October 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome,

The i7 930 is a nice choice as well as that asus mobo. I have the exact same cpu and mobo :P currently I have it OC'ed to 4.2Ghz using the Coolermaster Hyper 212. so if your into overclocking a bit, you should definately look into with this chip.

Looks pretty good otherwise, as for the OS, get win 7 home premium, there arent many differences in versions that you will need to worry about. get 64-bit if you will have more than 4GB of memory, which is pretty much the norm now. 32-bit OS can only handle roughly ~3.5GB, so even if you had 6GB of ram, the OS would only use ~4GB.

Last edited by homer98; October 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
Banned
F@H

according to this ,and this running dual vs tripple channel on i7 doesnt make much of a difference, but for a few more bucks why not
Old November 20, 2010, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Right parts were bought, brought back and put together...

I finally got an i7-950 (930's weren't available) the asus board and OCZ gold ram, have a 5770 temporarily until I can afford an upgrade..

The cooler was very easy to install I must say and keeps the processor at a breezy 35deg C..
I have my old WD sata II drive as well as the SataIII 1TB one listed above..

I got a Coolermaster CM 690 II with a 770 watt PSU on the cheap also.. I can't recomend this case highly enough. It's reasonably good looking (especially for the price) and there are enough features, room and thought in the design that I will probably have it for a VERY long time.

Over all I'm really pleased (understatement) with the build, It's cool, quiet and an absolute beast in anything I've thrown at it so far..

Just thought I'd give a lil feedback for all the help you guys gave me in choosing the parts..

Ohh and WOW windows 7 is a pleasure to use.. I HATED Vista with a passion, the layout the functionality etc etc etc.. it just annoyed me, so I was worried with how similar the format of 7 is that I would hate it too.. BUT, it just works.. no mess no fuss and the easiest install I have ever done..

THanks for the input lads, you made me one very happy Irishman..