Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2010, 11:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
What cases are you looking at? I decided to spend extra on the HAF X 942 because it has the USB 3.0 ports on the front whereas the HAF 932 didn't (but was cheaper as are some of the other cooler master cases). My justification was that when the time comes to upgrade, I will keep using the case.
I am hoping to get the Lian Li PC-X500 case. They're older case and hard to find in stock. I really like the side mount external bay. Overall the case has a nice clean look.
Old October 12, 2010, 04:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
I figured that I would add a sound card after I made sure the sucker was working. I am sure that there will be more than a few hurdles in this build and I am not sure how much time it will all take. It might consume hours, days, weeks, (months!). The motherboard does support some sound off the back. What I can plug in the back I don't quite know yet since I haven't gotten my hands and head around it yet.

What are your recommendations for sound cards and speaker sets? Since I got a Blue ray player I am kind of looking forward to playing something on the 25 in monitor 1080p. I am a complete noobie with reguard to surround sound set up and how to do it right.
Your motherboard will support 7.1 at the least. It's pretty much plug and play. Just tell the driver software what kind of audio system you're using. (7.1, 5.1)
Old October 12, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

I happen to own a Creative Labs X Fi Titanium Fatality Champion sound card. Not sure about newer cards from them, but Auzentech is a good brand as well. While onboard has improved a fair bit, it still doesn't compare to a good quality add on, at least imho.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Parts came in

Well the UPS man brought my parts to the office today, so I hope to start putting things together this weekend. I am sure I will be missing some critical cable or other thing which will stall the project but as time is not a critical element I will just take it slow and see what's what.

I did unpack the case (Coolermaster HAF X) before shoving all the boxes in the car to take home. It sure does look like a nice case, easy access from all sides. Big fans, etc.

I just hope I can connect all the parts together correctly the first time!
Old October 14, 2010, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only extra I would have suggested would have been a tube of thermal compound, but I'm sure the stuff that comes with the hyper 212+ will be fine so long as you don't need to do too many remounts to get the best temps.

Since it's been a while since you did your last build.... When the excitement to put your new kit together takes hold, don't forget that you need to mount the 212+ before you put the motherboard into the case...... ;)

Enjoy the build!!!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 14, 2010, 09:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Build Time

Well it took me about 6 hours to put everything together and figure out where everything goes. Fiddled with the BIOS a bit and just started installing Win 7. No RAID - just a SSD 64 GB, a HHD 1 TB, a blue ray player, and a DVD player.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus has very poor instructions. The X that holds it down goes a particular way and you should dry fit it before playing with the thermal paste. Also you have to figure out which side your fan is going and if it is blowing up, down or sideways. Mine is blowing up cause I figured heat rises.

A few things I noticed with the Gigabyte motherboard (GA-X58A-UDR3 rev 2.0) and the Cooler Master HAF X case is that the only USB 3.0 ports are in the back of the board and the case has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. Cooler Master gives you the cables attached already to the front panel. I had to run them out through a hole in the back of the case and plug them in to the USB 3.0 ports in the back of the chassis. That's just dumb but OK I guess it will work. There are no internal USB 3.0 plugs on the motherboard.

The Cooler Master case comes with gold colored stand offs for the motherboard and about 50 small black screws that all look pretty much alike. HOWEVER only certain ones fit inside those gold colored stand offs. Figure that out before you start grabbing screws and you can't figure out why some are harder to put in that others.

There are no real clear instructions where to put which hard drive (or optical drive for that matter) so I was just kind of guessing. The case does have lots of room. I guess I had a 50/50 chance of making the SSD master and the HDD slave. It came up opposite in the BIOS and I changed it there and I changed the SATA wire order (like it was an IDE wire) but not sure if anything I did matters. Windows came up and asked where I wanted to install the OS and I picked the SSD.

Looks like it worked - I now have a blue windows screen with a recycle basket in the top left and not much else on the screen. Going to bed now.

I figured I would install the programs mentioned elsewhere - speedfan, memtest, etc and make sure everything is working and then try to update things.

Any suggestions on what to do, and how to do it correctly post build would be appreciated. I think I need to go into the BIOS and change the RAM values but too tired today. Last I looked it was showing 1066 and 1.5 volts and the RAM is 1600 and 1.65. Not sure about all that. Too tired to think right now.

Thanks again to all those that gave me advice. It really helped me.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:38 PM
Banned
F@H

i commend you on your bravery sir.

now its easy. drivers, applications, etc. dont forget f@h :)

ram values, you mean to prepare for the eventual overclock? leave it there for now and increase blk a little bit.