Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Thoughts on a second build

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. Gaming primarily with folding and possibly some heavy work

2. What YOUR budget is. 3000 is my budget limit, but more realistically 2500 or less

3. What country mostly newegg.ca and the local stores

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. AMD, Gigabyte, ASUS, HT Omega, G.skill

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads. Yup

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. overclocking FTW :P

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? within a few months

9. What resolution do you use? 1440 at the moment (will change)

Hey guys, just noticed i'm not a trial member anymore . So i can happily post away to my hearts delight haha. Well anyways i'm using a rig i built in early 2007 and its starting to feel a little long in tooth. So i'm looking to build a new one and donate the old one to my mother (it'll be a massive upgrade for her).

Hehe i tend to go overboard, maybe you guys will knock some sense into me:

Phenom ll x4 965
Noctua DH-14
Gigabyte UD5 890fx
8Gb G. skill ripjaws 1600 (cas 7)
Corsair AX1200w
2x Asus 5850 DIRECTCU TOP
HT Omega Claro plus
Western Digital 1Tb black caviar
G. Skill 100Gb Phoenix SSD (if i can still find it)
A dvd burner that works....
Corsair Graphite 600T

so last i checked the build there's about 2600+ give or take. I do plan on overclocking the Cpu and both gpu cards. Plausibly the memory if that gigabyte board will allow it as well. Which is why i chose that massive AX1200 but it would be nice if someone could tell me if the AX850 will just be fine. All the online psu calculators don't factor in overclocking the gpu in their formulas so its a bit of a gray area for me..... also i'm wondering if i'm better of with a samsung spin point for the hard drive?

Thanks for any insight
Old October 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would go 6 core 1055.
Old October 4, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup go with the6 core, maybe take a look at the g.skill flare also ( since they are branded for AMD ) but that dosen't make any difference. You could also look for a PSU not that overkill, 850W would already be really overkill so you could save big money here. Change the CPU and you can order it:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 4, 2010, 02:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

+1 for the hexacore, those cards are a good choice.
Old October 4, 2010, 02:56 PM
Banned
F@H

if youre shelling that much on a system, you may perhaps take a look at intel as well. not the 980x cpu,since its way way way over priced, but perhaps some of the upcoming parts?

supposed to have a 15-25 pct performance boost over i7.
Old October 4, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

+1 for the 1055. The AX 850 is probably the better choice for psu and is still way over what you need. I had a pr of 5970s using a HX1000 with 7 HDDs, and plenty of fans with an OCed cpu, and it wasn't even warm.

Consider the OCZ Vertex II for your OS SSD. Of three dif.drives I've tried 4 an OS, this 1 was by far the best. It has been on sale lately. Check NCIX.

Everything else looks pretty good. There are things I might change 4 my build. Some brand preference.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:58 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohrman View Post
8. WHEN do you plan to build it? within a few months
Then I would wait to see how the 6770 (which seems stronger and less power using on paper) fares against the 5850 when it comes out in 2 months and then decide.
Old October 5, 2010, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

sweet that saves me a good 100$ on the psu, The only thing that irks me is corsair switched to a 120mm fan rather than a 140mm on the AX850... but i guess it doesn't make much of a difference. Hmm how does the hexacore fair in overclocking, i know i would lose out on the unlocked multiplier (probably not a big deal). still haven't wrapped my head around the turbo core feature though and how it effects manual overclocking .

Quote:
Consider the OCZ Vertex II for your OS SSD. Of three dif.drives I've tried 4 an OS, this 1 was by far the best. It has been on sale lately. Check NCIX.
I originally wanted the ocz but i find the 60gb is not enough for me and the 100-120gb versions are a little pricey.

Quote:
if youre shelling that much on a system, you may perhaps take a look at intel as well. not the 980x cpu,since its way way way over priced, but perhaps some of the upcoming parts?

supposed to have a 15-25 pct performance boost over i7.
x58 systems are to expensive and the i find the p55s lacking, but i"ll definitely check out the new intel stuff when they come out. But what about AMDs new stuff when they come out? might not be as good as intel but at least i don't have to play the socket change game every 2 years if i want a cpu upgrade. AM3+ ftw!

Thanks for the super fast replies!
Old October 7, 2010, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The 6 core AMD is awesome. The 1055t is the best buy, especially if you are overclocking and will serve you well for folding but your only hope of good -bigadv folding is with the i7.
Regardless, the AMD can turn over good units on the regular SMP.

Another thing to note is that ATI cards are not good for folding. The program is much better optimized for Nvidia cards by a very very large margin.

Awesome build though!