Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Upgrades for New Computer (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/36698-upgrades-new-computer.html)

NeilGames September 30, 2010 12:50 PM

Upgrades for New Computer

Hello,
I recently purchased a new computer and was wondering if you would recommend any immediate upgrades. In the customer reviews some people said that it could do with another fan or two.

General info is below and complete specs can be found here: Newegg.ca - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 959i Intel Core i5 760(2.80GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (under the "details" tab).

General Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 760(2.8GHz)
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR3 1333
Hard Drive: 1TB SATAII
Optical Drive 1: 24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 1GB
Audio: Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet: 10/100/1000 Mbps
Power Supply: 700W
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard - Chipset :Intel H55

Any suggestions besides adding a fan? So far I'm happy with the performance but I would be interested in your thoughts about further improving this machine.

fishingfanatic September 30, 2010 02:47 PM

New Builds

Welcome to HWC!. Consider adding a SSD for your OS. If you decide to get more storage, aka 1tb drive, make sure it's a new gen. sata 3. Much faster.

Your motherboard doesn't allow more than one graphics card, so adding another isn't an option. In order to get better performance from your graphics card, you would need to get something more powerful, like the 470 or 480.

Find out the make of your psu b4 doing this. Some psus can handle higher demands easily while others won't. The power supply is one of the most important components in your system, but you don't have to get one that's way more than what you need. Some leeway is good.

If you make a lot of dvds or copy a lot of discs, another dvd RW would be good. Otherwise, it should be ok.

Enjoy the new system!
:thumb::biggrin:

_dangtx_ September 30, 2010 03:29 PM

what is the mobo in there, exactly? was going to sugest a second 460 but it is a bit hard(almost impossible) to get sli with h55.

bf1 September 30, 2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 434337)
what is the mobo in there, exactly? was going to sugest a second 460 but it is a bit hard(almost impossible) to get sli with h55.

1 x PCI-Express x16
3 x PCI-Express x1
3 x PCI lol yeah pretty impossible XD

_dangtx_ September 30, 2010 05:35 PM

if the x1 was an electrical x4, i believe one could get away with cutting the edge off its its not open already.

Bond007 September 30, 2010 06:37 PM

Honestly there is nothing you have to upgrade. Seems like a pretty good build, but I don't know exactly what parts are in there. If gaming performance is good enough for you, then the only suggestions I have are for an SSD(not a requirement, but will be noticeable in everyday use), and make sure the power supply is decent.

enzo matrix October 7, 2010 12:09 PM

It's a matter of personal preference. I recommend only changing your system if you are unhappy with your current system.
So is there anything you'd like your system to be able to do that it doesn't do now or anything you are unhappy with?