Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2010, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Yes, another what graphics card should I buy thread.

Stop me if you heard this before, I'm coming into some money soon and I need to buy a new graphics card. What should I buy?

Ok for real this time. My birthday is on Tuesday and with it I should be getting some money that I can add to my piggy bank and put me in the bracket of $200-300 price range for a new card. I'm currently running:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Due 2.9 GHZ
RAM: 4 gig of DDR 2
Gcards: 8800 GTX ultra 768MB x2 in SLI config
Motherboard: Nvidia 680i

The problem I'm having is that my cards decided to die out on me a few months back, and I'm unable to run pretty much any game anymore without over heating issues. So I'm now looking into buying a new card(s) to replace my two 8800's. I realize that they can only go so far given the rest of my system, but these cards are going to be my first purchase in my progression of inevitably upgrading my whole PC. However money is hard to come by, and the next upgrade for my processor will require a new motherboard with a new chipset, which will require new RAM as well, and the three together will cost a penny or two. Of which I will not have anytime soon.

I would like to stick to Nvidia if possible, mainly because I have only ever used Nvidia and never had any real problems, but if an ATI card would really get me my best bang for my buck without a lot of compatibility issues I'm willing to give them a try. So I was curious what the Hardware Canucks brain trust thought I should buy given my setup listed above.

I was thinking of something in the 1GB 460 line, or, if I can find one on the cheap, a 1GB 480 to try and future proof myself for a few more years. It's a gaming system, and one of the big thing's I want is to be able to run my monitor at it's native resolution of 1680x1200 again.

Any who, any and all help is appreciated.
Old September 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
Banned
F@H

hey dude. well, you it it right with dual 460's 1gig of course, but i guess no more warranty on your gtx's?

and how come both died at the same time? is the psu holding up?

get precision and set the fans at 100%. then try one card at a time.
Old September 19, 2010, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hey dude. well, you it it right with dual 460's 1gig of course, but i guess no more warranty on your gtx's?

and how come both died at the same time? is the psu holding up?

get precision and set the fans at 100%. then try one card at a time.
I don't know which card was causing the problem, but if one of them is going then the other isn't much good on it's own. I figured I could get another 8800 for pretty cheap, but it's only a matter of time until the other one goes too, so I might as well get something good now-especially so since I plan to "eventually" upgrade the whole system.
Old September 19, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

Yeah, +1 for the 1gb 460. EVGA has lifetime warranty cards for a little more. Mind you, the recent price drop of the 768mb cards might allow you to get 2 for sli right now. That ultimately is up to you.
Old September 19, 2010, 08:57 PM
Banned
F@H

ok, but you sure theres no warranty left? xfx,evga?

if bfg, pny gives you a discount. find out which is still good, and sell it after you test it good. get you 50 bycks towards the next card. the paper weight, keep it as a souvenir or send it in liek i said
Old September 20, 2010, 03:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ok, but you sure theres no warranty left? xfx,evga?

if bfg, pny gives you a discount. find out which is still good, and sell it after you test it good. get you 50 bycks towards the next card. the paper weight, keep it as a souvenir or send it in liek i said
As far as I know I don't have one. My system is a Dell xps 720 and it's 4-5 years old. Unless there is some code I can check online or something.
Old September 20, 2010, 04:40 AM
Top Prospect

You could choose to get 2 470's if you wished, due to your power supply having 4x 6pin connectors, it's just a question of how reliable is that dell psu and is it a 750W or 1000W unit that u have installed in it.

If its a 750W, I would go with 2 460 1GB cards or if its the 1000W, 2 470 cards. Get one now and the 2nd later on. I say this as I really don't trust prebuilt machines power supply units as many aren't reliable on giving out their max said power output.

Another thought would be if you were to get $400 in total, with b'day money & savings, then you could consider getting this deal...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...4&promoid=1223

Good luck with what you decide and enjoy the new card/s
Old September 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
Banned
F@H

give dell a call, theyre very good usually. hell maybe they wont cover them 100%, maybe 1/2 the cost of an upgrade? my bud got that
Old September 20, 2010, 12:21 PM
Rookie

I personally recommand 5870 or sli GTX460
Old September 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would go 460 1gb now, and put the rest of the money away for a new CPU, MOB, and RAM. Once you have all that you could save to go SLI.

2 questions though: 1) what resolution do you game at (if you are gaming at HD or lower res I would then recommend the 768mb version)?? 2) what PSU do you have (or what watt dell PSU is it, if it is a factory PSU)?