Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2010, 11:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Looking into building new system, could use some advice.

The last PC I built was in 2005, and was nothing but an enormous pain to deal with. I poured all the money I could into it, and set out to build what I considered "future proof" at the time.

It constantly crashed/BSODed, and had all sorts of issues, and by the time I figured out what was causing these problems, I couldn't RMA the faulty part in question, because the company claimed my receipt wasn't valid.

Anyway, that left a bad taste in my mouth, so I switched to laptop gaming for the last few years. I'm finally ready to jump back into the desktop rig market within the coming months (Late November, early December... something like that) and am faced with a few questions.

I'm kind of set on the idea of a 3D Vision Surround setup, and as such, I set out with the intent to build a rig capable of running 3 23" monitors at a crazy resolution of 5760x1080. My first approach was to just throw money at it, and buy a Core i7 980X, run three GTX 480s in SLI, get a 1500w PSU... basically waste a crap tonne of money. (And have to save up so long that by the time I could purchase it, it'd be obsolete.)

I've recently decided to go for a slightly more... sane approach (mainly so I don't have to wait so long), and buy something between an i7 930/960 (and overclock it) and try just two GTX 480s instead, as 3 would be bottlenecked.

I haven't had a desktop nVidia card since my old GeForce4 MX 460, and I was wondering if 2 GTX 480s would be powerful enough to run a 3D Vision Surround rig, seeing as they'd have to be rendering two 60fps images concurrently that are immense in resolution.

2 GTX 480s would have to render the equivalent of 11520x2160, at 60fps. That just sort of strikes me as asking a lot of a videocard, but then again I've not seen a Fermi in action. Maybe my math (or understanding of the technology) is wrong, but somehow it seems like it just wouldn't work.

So I suppose that's my real concern, and question: Can two GTX 480s can handle the daunting task of rendering so much at once, twice, and still have high graphics settings in-game?

Does anyone here have a 3D Vision Surround rig? If so, what approach did you take?

Is there anyone here more up to date on current desktop technologies that could provide some advice?
Old September 19, 2010, 12:31 AM
Banned
F@H

hey man, welcome aboard!

if you want to max out everything and still get 60 fps on 3d/dual monitor or more? not gonna happen, with 2 480's i think

seeing youre going to go heavy, do wait maybe another month over your eta, since both amd and intel are coming out with new chips, video cards.

right now, yes a 930 on an ud5 or so would be proper to have. 850-1kw for psu, corsair,seasonic.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:35 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hey man, welcome aboard!

if you want to max out everything and still get 60 fps on 3d/dual monitor or more? not gonna happen, with 2 480's i think

seeing youre going to go heavy, do wait maybe another month over your eta, since both amd and intel are coming out with new chips, video cards.

right now, yes a 930 on an ud5 or so would be proper to have. 850-1kw for psu, corsair,seasonic.
Thanks for the reply! I figured as much, and yeah, it looks like I might have to wait to build it, or just build a somewhat normal rig in the interim and add the monitors and extra video cards later on. I'll keep on pondering the options.
Old September 19, 2010, 01:46 AM
Banned
F@H

no worries maite. gaming on 'big' resolutions with everything maxed out, is perhaps another gen or two away(sli/xfire)

look at metro 2033. brings to its knees everything when you crank it all up.

youre in a bit of a difficult position. you want to go heavy,but then again stuffs about to enter the market. well a few months. shelling loads right now wouldnt be to smart lol.

normal rig. hmm......maybe try an el cheapo 1156 i7 870 or x3440 affair til socket 2011(sp) comes to town?

i pity the ppl who just got a hexa core(you hear rj?) :)
Old September 19, 2010, 07:51 AM
Allstar

Quote:
I'm finally ready to jump back into the desktop rig market within the coming months (Late November, early December... something like that)
I think your conclusion for CPU will stay the same as Intel and AMD have promised new CPUs early next year.
As for GPU, you should know by then if ATI has a better solution than GTX 480 SLI. (Same power with less heat, noise & cost would be enough)
The hardest part about your set up would be finding the right display. I myself have been pondering over this issue for too long.
Right now I have my heart set on one of these two Samsung monitors: BX2350 or BX2450
Old September 19, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a few recommendations for the base system, I will leave the video requirements to others though. There really is no such thing as futureproof so you can wait for the beginning of a new platform or build a good base, overclock the snot out of it and change videocards as they become available.

1)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel
you can pricematch this close to $300
2)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS
-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Gigabyte
(I believe both will support tri-sli @ 16x8x8, someone will correct me if I am wrong)
3)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Corsair
way overkill for now but if any component is future proof, this may be it.
4)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ustomerReviews
or something similar from Corsair or Mushkin
5)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=COOLERMASTER
-good airflow for multiple air cooled cards

Last edited by stoanee; September 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Read this: The Lounge.. This member is using similar components for a 3D Nvidia setup and his comments should help you decide.
Old September 19, 2010, 09:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
I think your conclusion for CPU will stay the same as Intel and AMD have promised new CPUs early next year.
As for GPU, you should know by then if ATI has a better solution than GTX 480 SLI. (Same power with less heat, noise & cost would be enough)
The hardest part about your set up would be finding the right display. I myself have been pondering over this issue for too long.
Right now I have my heart set on one of these two Samsung monitors: BX2350 or BX2450
In regards to your GPU comment, while I feel a sense of brand loyalty to nVidia, AMD ain't half bad. I used to have a Radeon 1900XTX that gave me some pretty awesome performance, so if AMD has a better offering, I'll probably go for theirs instead. Unless 3D gaming matters to me, I'm still not sure.

As for displays, should I go the 3D route, I'm loving ASUS' VG236H, and might even go for it if I don't opt for 3D, since I've heard great things about 120hz displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I have a few recommendations for the base system, I will leave the video requirements to others though. There really is no such thing as futureproof so you can wait for the beginning of a new platform or build a good base, overclock the snot out of it and change videocards as they become available.

1)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel
you can pricematch this close to $300
2)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS
-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Gigabyte
(I believe both will support tri-sli @ 16x8x8, someone will correct me if I am wrong)
3)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Corsair
way overkill for now but if any component is future proof, this may be it.
4)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ustomerReviews
or something similar from Corsair or Mushkin
5)-http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=COOLERMASTER
-good airflow for multiple air cooled cards
I was thinking the same thing as far as CPU is concerned (I love NCIX as well, by the way!) but as for the motherboard, I'm still completely torn. I'm not sure if I want to go for ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI. I've only had experience with ASUS out of the three, but it hasn't all been good experience. As for the RAM, G.Skill is looking pretty good these days, Corsair is fine, Mushkin I've never used myself. I also agree with the Corsair 1200AX, as you said, it's great for upgrades in the future, especially if I decide to go with three-way SLI or Crossfire (does Crossfire work with more than two cards?) in the future. And yes, the HAF X is beautiful, and is one of two cases I've been considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Read this: The Lounge.. This member is using similar components for a 3D Nvidia setup and his comments should help you decide.
Okay well first of all, that post was invaluable. Thanks for linking it. I tried some searching on the forum (and on the Googles!) beforehand, but didn't find anything as clear-cut as that.

That said, I'm starting to think I could probably live without the 3D aspect, and just go for Surround or Eyefinity. In movies I find 3D to be a bit of a gimmick (and actually sometimes it detracts from my enjoyment), so with games I can't see it being all that much more useful. (Especially because it's such a new offering/technology.) That said, I still might go that route, but at least I won't be expecting high image quality/graphics settings with the ridiculous resolution. Thanks again for linking that, you totally made me re-think my build idea.

With that said, still probably going for a 950/960 (no AMD processors for me, sorry) with either GTX 480s in SLI or maybe a Radeon 5970, and spend less money on 3D-capable monitors, and more on SSDs, and other performance upgrades.

But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in an hour or two. Any further suggestions or advice are well warranted and welcomed! Feel free to post any other thoughts you might have, and thanks again everyone for your time.
Old September 19, 2010, 09:59 PM
Banned
F@H

funny thing is that radeons can do eyefinity on one card, and pretty well at that(for one card)

do keep an eye on the next units to come :)
Old September 20, 2010, 01:12 AM
Allstar

Just came across the Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard last night while shopping for a display.

From what I saw, it should easily replace the Asus P6 and Gigabyte UD3R or any budget X58 Motherboard. Anything game-related is there in top quality and anything not has been left out. 16x2 memory lanes and phat heat sinks (what I care for). Hope we see a review soon.

ASUS' VG236H? That's about 550$ for the monitor and 3D, 300$ x2 for two more monitors without 3D (surely one 3d kit enough).
What's 250$ if you're paying 1,150$ instead of 900$? I haven't tried 3d gaming but game sites do say that 3d is more rewarding in games than in movies. Imagine 3 displays in 3D, 1080P and ultra detail settings.

BTW, the BX2450 was amazing for a 400$ monitor out of the box and should be better once I calibrate it.