Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 06:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Old CPU New Build.

I am going to build a new computer using my old Q6600 (Socket 775) CPU and a few other old parts.

The Purpose of this computer is mostly to watch/store Movies & Music, but I also want to use this computer for pretty light gaming for when I am not at home and want a "Small" computer to take to a friends house or whatever.

Here is what I have so far:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (I put this on before the GPU died)

CPU: Intel Q6600

GPU: GTX 460 SC - Have not purchased yet but my old 8800 GTX fried so I am up for suggestions.

HDD: 2x 500GB Western Digital

Ram: Don't have a clue what ram I will be using yet.

Mobo: Don't have a clue what Mobo I will be using yet.

PSU: Don't have a clue what PSU I will be using yet.

Cooling: Don't have a clue what Cooling I will be using yet.

IMPORTANT: Case: I really want a cool looking Cheap but good light and small case that is easy to move around.

(I have been looking at the CM Scout, I like the handles and it looks pretty nice too.)

Everything else (monitor, speakers, keyboard ect..) I have and I might buy a few other things like fans and fan controller.

The budget is under $600, but I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to flexing the price a little.

Thanks for your ideas guys :)
Old September 15, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

For something portable, I would consider looking for a refurbished laptop. Picked one up for my sister for $400+. If you go this route be sure to ask about warranty, as some will only give a short warranty and others will still offer full warranty.

If you still want to go tower, consider Corsair or Seasonic psus. I like the choice of gpus, though I would look at the EVGA for lifetime warranty.

If this is a DDR2 mobo, then good fast memory would be my choice, as it'll be priced reasonably, at least compared to DDR3. Mushkin is my favourite, but any of the lifetime warranty ram is good. Patriot, G Skills and Corsair are 3 other good brands. Go 8 gbs for sure if going 64 bit.

Case selection is subjective, so I leave it to you or someone with more knowledge.

Good luck with your build and resulting system.
Old September 15, 2010, 07:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, i'd be all over the used forums for a mobo/ram.. and either get a good used PSU, or one on sale 5-700W is fine.
I'd grab a 460 1 gig - is an excellent video card.

As for ram, when I had my LGA 775 system, I picked up gskill 1066Mhz DDR2 - why? the base clock for the mobo is 800Mhz, however the overclocking headroom with the 1066Mhz ram was great to have.
Expect to pay $60-100 for a good, used mobo and $60-70 for 4 gig (2x2G) DDR2 800. new is $73+tx, 1066 DDR2 is about $110 new.

As for cooling - lots of options.. minimum a CM Hyper 212+.. and list goes on from there. The Q6600 overclocks like a banshee, so you can get some performance gains there. Just remember if you're moving it around a lot, you don't want heavy/bulky heatsinks bangin' around in your case.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old September 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
For something portable, I would consider looking for a refurbished laptop. Picked one up for my sister for $400+. If you go this route be sure to ask about warranty, as some will only give a short warranty and others will still offer full warranty.

If you still want to go tower, consider Corsair or Seasonic psus. I like the choice of gpus, though I would look at the EVGA for lifetime warranty.

If this is a DDR2 mobo, then good fast memory would be my choice, as it'll be priced reasonably, at least compared to DDR3. Mushkin is my favourite, but any of the lifetime warranty ram is good. Patriot, G Skills and Corsair are 3 other good brands. Go 8 gbs for sure if going 64 bit.

Case selection is subjective, so I leave it to you or someone with more knowledge.

Good luck with your build and resulting system.
Thanks, I do plan on getting 8GB's depending on how cheap it is, the GTX 460 SC is a EVGA card so no worries there. I really dislike laptops especially for gaming, I think I exaggerated how much I will be using this build, I just meant the occasional LAN Party kind of thing I wont be moving it around every other day. Most the time it will be hooked up to my TV as a Media PC which is also a reason I want it to be easy to move back and forth from Monitor to TV. Also I really like Corsair so if they have a cheap-ish PSU good for what I need I will be going with them for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Well, i'd be all over the used forums for a mobo/ram.. and either get a good used PSU, or one on sale 5-700W is fine.
I'd grab a 460 1 gig - is an excellent video card.

As for ram, when I had my LGA 775 system, I picked up gskill 1066Mhz DDR2 - why? the base clock for the mobo is 800Mhz, however the overclocking headroom with the 1066Mhz ram was great to have.
Expect to pay $60-100 for a good, used mobo and $60-70 for 4 gig (2x2G) DDR2 800. new is $73+tx, 1066 DDR2 is about $110 new.

As for cooling - lots of options.. minimum a CM Hyper 212+.. and list goes on from there. The Q6600 overclocks like a banshee, so you can get some performance gains there. Just remember if you're moving it around a lot, you don't want heavy/bulky heatsinks bangin' around in your case.

Do you have any recommendations on which Ram and which Mother board? I wanted to get some advice from people that had a really good build back then (So hopefully it's now cheap) so I really just want a Mother board that is made for Overclocking and pretty much an Enthusiast board for back then.

Like I said to the guy above, I wont be moving it around too much, so I don't mind a big heatsink, I might even get one of those closed loop cooling things so long as they fit the 775 socket and are under $90.00 brand new I think corsair has one like that? and that would solve the weight issue and be just as good a cooler as a massive heatsink.
Old September 16, 2010, 05:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Awesome, thanks again xlilmissmjx always so helpful!