Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2010, 10:46 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post
I'd go with a GTX460. Personally though, i don't believe in spending all that much for the highest end graphics cards. I'd rather just upgrade more frequently if anything.
I would also go with a gtx 460, later down the road you can eventually get two, which really does out preform the gtx 480 and even 5970

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...80,2694-3.html

GeForce GTX 460 SLI vs. Radeon HD 5970: Two Against One (page 12) - X-bit labs
Old September 18, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As Sagath pointed out, knowing the CPU (and clock speed), as well as resolution of monitor is required for proper selection.....as for 460 Sli vs 480.....they will "keep up", but crank up that AA / AF and they will lag behind, I only believe in mult cards over single card if there are substantial gains "overall"......all 480's are highly overclockable, OC the 480 and the 2 x 460 Sli point is no longer valid.

Old September 20, 2010, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Both of you 'kids' need to relax and take your epeens elsewhere. You're both part right and mostly wrong because you dont understand why you're right.

Monitor refresh rates are 60hz. This means that they refresh at 60 frames per second. Guess what? Its uber and all that you can shove 120 fps to the monitor. You'll still only visibly see the refresh rate of the monitor. 60 FPS. Going over the refresh rate in FPS without Vsync will just cause tearing, going under in FPS and it starts to feel slower. The best advice is triple buffering with Vsync enabled. Read on and ed-juh-mah-cate ones self: Triple Buffering: Why We Love It - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Now 'kids', kiss, say sorry and make up, both of you!

To the OP; Without knowing screen resolution or how long you're going to keep the PC we could throw card models at you all day long. How about some additional info, please? Thank you
Y'know it's just to bad that even frame locked at 60fps, a card that WILL push 100+ FPS if needed/allowed, will end up with better avg/min frame rates as well, and in turn over-all better more consistent game play.
Also, I can still see and better FEEL the way a game runs at 30fps compared to 60fps.
I understand why I was right, forgive me for still gaming on a 21" trinitron and loving my 85hz refresh rate?
Funny you went through all that to prove nothing.