Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 04:18 PM
Banned
F@H

guys, take it easy.lol. general consensus is to get a 460 or better. maybe two. but thats it. shake hands, have a beverage and call it a day :)
Old September 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
So unless you upgrade your display to higher resolutions, a stronger GFX would go to waste.
It would only go to waste if you replace it next year. However if you want to keep it for two or perhaps even three years I would vote for the better card.
Old September 15, 2010, 04:41 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
It would only go to waste if you replace it next year. However if you want to keep it for two or perhaps even three years I would vote for the better card.
You're right as long as it's something in the range of an HD 5870 or a GTX 470 (ugh). I find it hard to splash the cash for a high-end card just a couple of months before the launch of a whole new line of high-end cards by ATI.

Dangtx, good on you. Peace!
Old September 15, 2010, 04:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

5870 sapphire vapor x
gtx470 any brand

My fav is the 5870 Vapor X.
Old September 16, 2010, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Anything in the zone basically rocks (1GB Video Memory) 460, HD5850 <1920x1080 or 470, HD5870 =/>1920x1080

The points made on resolution are very valid, even with the above recommended cards I think they'll all game at 1920x1080 but you'll get optimal performance as indicated IMHO

Another Guy From Canada
Old September 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Kid, I'm helping you too. You got the idea right, now work on your reading skills and manners. Why don't you read my post again and use your brain this time around ;)

GTX 460 on 1080P will perform at 60 FPS or higher on almost all games. GTX 480 on 1080P will do better, almost 100 FPS or higher but the human eye won't detect the difference. So unless you upgrade your display to higher resolutions, a stronger GFX would go to waste.
Older than you, so stop with the kid crap.

The GTX460 will not perform at 60FPS at 1080p with most newer titles with the GFX maxed simple as that, and a higher end card will help him out a little more while also protecting his invest to continue giving him good performance well into next year.

Your human eye argument has been presented to you as null and void, SEEING the different and FEELING the game play smoother are two completely different experiences. Just because you can't detect the difference doesn't mean the game doesn't run more smooth.
Old September 18, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

hahahaha...460 / 470 / 5850...."save the money and go out for dinner"...love it!!! Cheap bastards ;) ...its his sons birthday..get em a 480 (or at least a 470 / 5870) !!!! (as always..all in fun..no offense...)

Old September 18, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Please hush yourself up.
While the GTX460 is a good card, the human eye and our brain will easily be able to detect the difference between 30fps and 60fps. It's why I cannot stand playing games on consoles. It FEELS slow, and unresponsive most of the time.
Playing SC2 at 30fps max compared to 60fps max is night and day different.

With the computer this kid has already I would recommend no less than a GTX460 1Gb, or a GTX470. The 470 being the stronger card obviously.
It will run current gen great, and continue to for a while still.
Quote:
Kid, I'm helping you too. You got the idea right, now work on your reading skills and manners. Why don't you read my post again and use your brain this time around ;)

GTX 460 on 1080P will perform at 60 FPS or higher on almost all games. GTX 480 on 1080P will do better, almost 100 FPS or higher but the human eye won't detect the difference. So unless you upgrade your display to higher resolutions, a stronger GFX would go to waste.

Both of you 'kids' need to relax and take your epeens elsewhere. You're both part right and mostly wrong because you dont understand why you're right.

Monitor refresh rates are 60hz. This means that they refresh at 60 frames per second. Guess what? Its uber and all that you can shove 120 fps to the monitor. You'll still only visibly see the refresh rate of the monitor. 60 FPS. Going over the refresh rate in FPS without Vsync will just cause tearing, going under in FPS and it starts to feel slower. The best advice is triple buffering with Vsync enabled. Read on and ed-juh-mah-cate ones self: Triple Buffering: Why We Love It - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Now 'kids', kiss, say sorry and make up, both of you!

To the OP; Without knowing screen resolution or how long you're going to keep the PC we could throw card models at you all day long. How about some additional info, please? Thank you
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; September 18, 2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old September 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

I would still consider the 480. The budget allows for it and it will give you outstanding performance. If you go the 460 route, 2 will outperform it, but a single card means less hassles all around. Good luck with your choice, though look for the lifetime warranty gpus, EVGA,...
Old September 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'd go with a GTX460. Personally though, i don't believe in spending all that much for the highest end graphics cards. I'd rather just upgrade more frequently if anything.