LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2010, 08:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
The green chip.
That's an I/O chip. It has nothing to do with PhysX.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

0o0, what you want is this, then. :P
Galaxy Designs GeForce GTX 480 with Dedicated PhysX GPU | techPowerUp
Old September 9, 2010, 08:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Can we all stop arguing and start giving me some advice? LoL..

Edit: Basically, the main thing I'm asking you guys is whether I should use a closed loop water cooling system on my GPUs or use a better fan solution. And which case should I use if I do the better fan solution (only the 800D would work for the closed loop water cooling for me). Other advice and suggestions are also needed/wanted.

Oh, and also, why do you guys think the Asus R3F is better than the MSI BBXP?

Last edited by Kommie986; September 9, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

k GG I failed on that part, my bad about the dedicated physx processor, I guess that's why evga made a 275 coop... well at least you don't need a 2nd card for some sort of physx processor lemme get something straight tho, I love my gtx260 more than I liked my 5870. I've got a few reasons which you guys may disagree to:
-drivers are better
-more money back in my pocket with minimal performance sacrifice (read on lemme explain this bit more)
-it's got physx which is a seller for me
-card aesthetically looks better
My experience with this framerate drop on ati cards was an experience specifically with that 5870 playing crysis. At the first chapter when you go to take out that jammer, there were some red barrels. I had all settings on 'very high' with no AA/AF, just standing there fraps told me 48fps, but it didn't feel silky smooth. Shot the barrel, fraps told me 28. The game turned into a slideshow for 3 seconds. OTOH, my gtx260 that costs less than half the 5870 gets about 26fps just standing there, it was a bit jittery and annoying. I shot the barrel, dropped to something like 18 butttt (big but), it didn't turn into a slideshow, it just jittered a bit harder and the framerate quickly recovered. I play crysis on 'high' setting now with shadows on medium, runs silky smooth on my gtx260 and I had all that extra cash back. That's why I say personally the 260 is better than the 5870, I never once said that the 260 performs better or is more powerful than the 5870.

and I'm gonna shut up now, this thread is dieing because of my presence

===============================

Kommie, it looks great, I guess last thing to decide is 800d vs. lian-li (vs. hafX?), it's really up to the user, which case do you think looks better and pick it. You can probably go in store and check them out if you like, the ncix store has the hafX and 800d on showcase I don't know about the lian-li.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Kommie, it looks great, I guess last thing to decide is 800d vs. lian-li (vs. hafX?), it's really up to the user, which case do you think looks better and pick it. You can probably go in store and check them out if you like, the ncix store has the hafX and 800d on showcase I don't know about the lian-li.
Yeah, what I really need you guys' help on is whether I should wait on and use the SLI/Crossfire version of Omni A.L.C. to w/c the 470s. The SLI/Crossfire version needs two 120mm fan spacings, and the only case I like that offers it is the 800D and the HAF 932 Black Edition. But if I don't go with the Omni A.L.C. , then I can get any case I want. 'Cause I'm pretty nooby at computers (all I know is plug and play), so yeah.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
Yeah, what I really need you guys' help on is whether I should wait on and use the SLI/Crossfire version of Omni A.L.C. to w/c the 470s. The SLI/Crossfire version needs two 120mm fan spacings, and the only case I like that offers it is the 800D and the HAF 932 Black Edition. But if I don't go with the Omni A.L.C. , then I can get any case I want. 'Cause I'm pretty nooby at computers (all I know is plug and play), so yeah.
gtx470 sli temperatures
If 95 load for you is too hot, then get wc. Alternatively, skip a pcie16 slot on the rIIIf for better airflow to the first card should do the trick (but it doesn't look as nice). 800d is bigger, easier to work in, but also takes up more room on your desk. If that's alright, then get the 800d just in case you decide to get the ALC.

I thought that if you are SLI'ing identical cards and never plan on scaling different cards and don't need the BigBang function, then there's no point in paying for it. I don't know how good the BBxp support is and how well it scales, but it does look like a decent board, if you like the msi bbxp by all means get it :)

Last edited by 0o0; September 9, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
k GG I failed on that part, my bad about the dedicated physx processor, I guess that's why evga made a 275 coop... well at least you don't need a 2nd card for some sort of physx processor lemme get something straight tho, I love my gtx260 more than I liked my 5870. I've got a few reasons which you guys may disagree to:
-drivers are better
-more money back in my pocket with minimal performance sacrifice (read on lemme explain this bit more)
-it's got physx which is a seller for me
-card aesthetically looks better
My experience with this framerate drop on ati cards was an experience specifically with that 5870 playing crysis. At the first chapter when you go to take out that jammer, there were some red barrels. I had all settings on 'very high' with no AA/AF, just standing there fraps told me 48fps, but it didn't feel silky smooth. Shot the barrel, fraps told me 28. The game turned into a slideshow for 3 seconds. OTOH, my gtx260 that costs less than half the 5870 gets about 26fps just standing there, it was a bit jittery and annoying. I shot the barrel, dropped to something like 18 butttt (big but), it didn't turn into a slideshow, it just jittered a bit harder and the framerate quickly recovered. I play crysis on 'high' setting now with shadows on medium, runs silky smooth on my gtx260 and I had all that extra cash back. That's why I say personally the 260 is better than the 5870, I never once said that the 260 performs better or is more powerful than the 5870.

and I'm gonna shut up now, this thread is dieing because of my presence

===============================

So ya when you said you love your GTX260 better than a 5870 I couldn't figure why you would love your games to run worse, I GUESS now it makes sense since a 5870 is still ~$400 whereas you can grab a used GTX260 for around $130 these days. But still, the way you are describing it, sounds like something was amiss because your game shouldn't turn into a slideshow. It COULD have been ATI's drivers but I'm not sure since I haven't played Crysis in a while but every other game I've played has been fine.

Sorry to crap, but that looks like it's going to be one sexy rig, boy! As for case, if you wanna do air with lots of fans, I guess you could go with a HAF case - I'd go with the HAF-X cause it looks so much better - or you could get the CM690II Advanced which is also good for air cooling.

Last edited by headsh0t; September 9, 2010 at 09:04 PM.