Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
Kommie986's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 601

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Not wider, it's taller. I had a 1080p yesterday morning, yesterday evening I bought a 1200p monitor. The difference is quite noticable actually, it just 'feels' like you can see more stuff around you when gaming though it's not that much. 1080p would work, it's just a suggestion. I think it's in the ratio or something, 16:10 for the human eye is better than 16:9 or something, but 1080 pixels high is cheaper to produce for manufacturers so they reduced the 1200 pixel panels =\

I have g.skill ram myself, I wish I could afford dominators but any brand works just fine, dominators is like bmw just a status that you've got premium ram lol :)
Hm, I think then I might wait a bit, save more, and get a 1200p monitor. Also, I would get G.Skill, but their voltages are weird. If I'm not mistaken, DDR3 RAM voltage should be 1.65V, but most G.Skill ones are 1.5V. 0_?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 06:58 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
Also, I can't find any reference HD 5870's and I don't really like those two non-reference ones, so I'd rather go with NVIDIA (and if I want SLI, then I would need Intel).
Do any of these cards appeal to you?
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GV-R587UD-1GD Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Newegg.ca - VisionTek 900332 Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
Newegg.ca - MSI R5870 Lightning II Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
Hm, I think then I might wait a bit, save more, and get a 1200p monitor. Also, I would get G.Skill, but their voltages are weird. If I'm not mistaken, DDR3 RAM voltage should be 1.65V, but most G.Skill ones are 1.5V. 0_?
Lower voltage for RAM is preferable. The reason most kits are rated at 1.65V is because that's the maximum voltage that Intel recommends using with their CPUs that have integrated memory controllers.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 07:19 PM
Kommie986's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 601

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The Gigabyte and the MSI ones kinda do. But they both look ugly. The Gigabyte one just looks ugly, no argument. And the MSI one has another chunk sticking out the side...

Oh, well if 1.5V is better, then that opens up a lot of doors for me. Thanks!

Edit: So now, I really only need help with choosing the GPU and the case.

For the GPU, I was thinking that if it is non-reference, I first get one, then get another. If it was reference, I was thinking about getting two and having them watercooled via the Coolit Omni (w00t, borrowing money from my parents). And for the case, if I do get dual reference and watercooled, I need the 800D (fan ports). If I get non-reference, I can get either. So that should narrow down the advice I need.

Last edited by Kommie986; September 9, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 07:30 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

I know some people will strongly disagree, but I would highly recommend sticking to nvidia/intel. I find that ati framerates drop very much during fight scenes with more to render (explosions and stuff) but they give you lots of frames when you're just chillin around which boosts their average fps. You also get the physx chip with nvidia, and usually less frame drops than ati. Stick with intel because amd platforms take 20-30 minutes to load the windows 7 installation screen, while intel rigs do it in 1 minute (no lie, it's 100% true and tested by myself).

I've personally had a 5870, a phenom 710, 720, and 550. Now using a i5 750 and gtx260, love it much more than the phenom/5870.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 07:37 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
You also get the physx chip with nvidia
No, there's no separate "PhysX chip." PhysX is run on the GPU through CUDA.

Also, if you really think a GTX 260 is better than a 5870 then you're doing it wrong. I upgraded from a GTX 260 to a 5870 in my main rig and the 5870 is considerably faster in every situation.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, there's no separate "PhysX chip." PhysX is run on the GPU through CUDA.

Also, if you really think a GTX 260 is better than a 5870 then you're doing it wrong. I upgraded from a GTX 260 to a 5870 in my main rig and the 5870 is considerably faster in every situation.
What's the little chip right next to the core called then? For me personally the gtx260 is better than the 5870; it's cheaper, has physx, looks better, is cheaper, doesn't perform that much lower, is more reliable, is quieter, better performance per dollar, better drivers... I got quite some cash back when I sold my 5870 and bought the gtx260, I got just enough to finish up my htpc. You really shouldn't make such comments about how someone is wrong because they have a different preference or taste, I don't see how it is much different from a very light form of the concept of racism or sexism.

Anyways Kommie is free to choose whichever he likes, he came to this forum for suggestions and not pressure to stick with any specific brand. Those are my experiences and I think Kommie has every right to take what he will of it and make a good decision.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 07:55 PM
MacJunky's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Creston, BC
Posts: 1,718

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Stick with intel because amd platforms take 20-30 minutes to load the windows 7 installation screen, while intel rigs do it in 1 minute (no lie, it's 100% true and tested by myself).
As a guy with a Phenom x4 9950@3GHz who previously had a celeron dualcore E1200@3.2GHz, I wish to say that your statement is total crap. Hell, I just built a system for someone with a Sempron 140 2.7GHz single core or whatever the hell it was and it loaded up the windows 7 installer just fine.
Damn man, the Turion x2 RM-72@2.1GHz in my notebook loads up the win7 installer just fine. That being said, I have never had to do it more than once on any of that hardware.. but still. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I've personally had a 5870, a phenom 710, 720, and 550. Now using a i5 750 and gtx260, love it much more than the phenom/5870.
You do know that a 5870 completely smokes a gtx260, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
You really shouldn't make such comments about how someone is wrong because they have a different preference or taste
Except that what you have stated was not "preference or taste", it was total garbage related to the performance of something. There is no "preference or taste" there. One is faster than the other and that is that. Liking one more than the other does not make it faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I don't see how it is much different from a very light form of the concept of racism or sexism.
It is _very_ different.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 07:57 PM
headsh0t's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,568

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I know some people will strongly disagree, but I would highly recommend sticking to nvidia/intel. I find that ati framerates drop very much during fight scenes with more to render (explosions and stuff) but they give you lots of frames when you're just chillin around which boosts their average fps. You also get the physx chip with nvidia, and usually less frame drops than ati. Stick with intel because amd platforms take 20-30 minutes to load the windows 7 installation screen, while intel rigs do it in 1 minute (no lie, it's 100% true and tested by myself).

I've personally had a 5870, a phenom 710, 720, and 550. Now using a i5 750 and gtx260, love it much more than the phenom/5870.
It's so funny how anti ATI you are as if you think they are trying to somehow artificially boost their frames. Your FPS will dip lower during "fight scenes" or higher intensity scenes on ANY card because more stuff needs rendering. I thought that was common knowledge. And if you're supposedly getting better frames out of a 260 compared to a 5870 you must've been doing something wrong or the card was shot because my framerate (Average) increased significantly going from a GTX260 to a 5850 in BC2. Like at least 20fps

I bet you'd also tell me that Western Digital hard drives never fail and only Corsair makes good PSU's right?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 08:04 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
What's the little chip right next to the core called then?
The RAM? There is no separate PhysX chip, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
For me personally the gtx260 is better than the 5870; it's cheaper, has physx, looks better, is cheaper, doesn't perform that much lower, is more reliable, is quieter, better performance per dollar, better drivers... I got quite some cash back when I sold my 5870 and bought the gtx260, I got just enough to finish up my htpc. You really shouldn't make such comments about how someone is wrong because they have a different preference or taste, I don't see how it is much different from a very light form of the concept of racism or sexism.
I'm saying you're wrong to claim that the GTX 260 is a better card than the 5870, because the 5870 is significantly more powerful in every aspect. The only advantage the GTX 260 has is in pricing, and obviously it will cost less; it's a previous-generation card and it is much lower-end.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old September 9, 2010, 08:11 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
As a guy with a Phenom x4 9950@3GHz who previously had a celeron dualcore E1200@3.2GHz, I wish to say that your statement is total crap. Hell, I just built a system for someone with a Sempron 140 2.7GHz single core or whatever the hell it was and it loaded up the windows 7 installer just fine.
Damn man, the Turion x2 RM-72@2.1GHz in my notebook loads up the win7 installer just fine. That being said, I have never had to do it more than once on any of that hardware.. but still. :P
You do know that a 5870 completely smokes a gtx260, right?

Except that what you have stated was not "preference or taste", it was total garbage related to the performance of something. There is no "preference or taste" there. One is faster than the other and that is that. Liking one more than the other does not make it faster.
It is _very_ different.
Where the bloody hell did I say the gtx260 was 'faster' than the 5870? It gives better performance per dollar. I've seen on multiple occassions where a specific amd rig (and not just with me, friends with amd rigs experience this too) that windows 7 installation takes half an hour to load and then starts running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
It's so funny how anti ATI you are as if you think they are trying to somehow artificially boost their frames. Your FPS will dip lower during "fight scenes" or higher intensity scenes on ANY card because more stuff needs rendering. I thought that was common knowledge. And if you're supposedly getting better frames out of a 260 compared to a 5870 you must've been doing something wrong or the card was shot because my framerate (Average) increased significantly going from a GTX260 to a 5850 in BC2. Like at least 20fps

I bet you'd also tell me that Western Digital hard drives never fail and only Corsair makes good PSU's right?
Again, what the bloody hell... where the hell did you read that I say gtx260 pumps more fps than a 5870 in general? You lost the bet already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The RAM? There is no separate PhysX chip, period.

I'm saying you're wrong to claim that the GTX 260 is a better card than the 5870, because the 5870 is significantly more powerful in every aspect. The only advantage the GTX 260 has is in pricing, and obviously it will cost less; it's a previous-generation card and it is much lower-end.
They both have advantages and disadvantages, for me the advantages of the gtx260 outweigh the 5870 but for others it may not be so.

The green chip.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To build, or not to build: that is the question Timid newbe New Builds 5 August 12, 2010 04:33 AM
New Build- Corsair 800D --> My cleanest build ever. Watercooled btdvox Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery 28 May 11, 2010 01:07 PM
Windows 7 Build 7000 VS Windows XP SP3 Build 2600 Benchmarks Veritas Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 3 March 3, 2009 01:48 PM
Critique my gaming build build 1080p New Builds 10 January 14, 2009 03:18 PM