Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2010, 12:50 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Upgrade.... or new build?

my main rig has been treating me quite well until recently I notice the bottleneck is really showing in games like FF 14... SC2 and even wow(I also run a good number of browser and voip/chat programs). Decisions has been made to inject fund to improve the rig, I haven't been tracking hardware news and quite outdated about the trend, and not exactly sure about upcoming technology is worth the wait.... Therefore posting here to ask the experts

Current rig:
E8400, 8gb ddr2, 4870 1gb, P5Q PRO, tx750, hdt1293(or h 50 as backup), HAF923 and a bunch of hdds

I am not sure if I want to upgrade or rebuild, First thought was to do a new build with AMD and go for their quad/6 core offering since I do run a good number of multitasking, but then I heard about the upcoming AMD cpu not compatible with current board, and any worthy intel cpu may shoot thru my budget. or I can get a new video card + SSD and wait for the new cpu offering. Not sure how much performance boost I will be looking at..?

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, Backend Streaming for network, File server, multi tab firefox browsing along with VOIP

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

400 for upgrade.... 800 for full build (Can go up to 600 upgrade, 1100 full build)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

None really, but I do pursue product with better warranty

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

See top...... Not sure if I should upgrade of build a new one

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

probably default, my last(first) OC experience didn't go too well

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Now - > 1 month

9. What resolution do you use?

1920*1080
Old September 7, 2010, 01:14 AM
Banned
F@H

gtx 460 1gb on special whenever you find it. unless you have to, wait for cpu+mobo.

and maybe if you find a cheap 9 series quad with 12 meg cache so you can keep mobo+ram.

when you bought that psu, i guess you did the rightest choice in there. youll be able to use it for a few more years, unless you go fermi or something :)
Old September 7, 2010, 01:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

Perhaps a new SSD would pick things up a bit. This can be transferred to a new build and still work well. A new gpu like the 460 1gb because of your resolution. As dang said, it would probably be best to wait for a while b4 going with a new build. Even if you don't go for the newest offering, the current setups will be more affordable, allowing you to get more bang for your $.
Old September 7, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

given the cost to get a system like yours converted to ddr3 I would say SSD and 460 1gb, which will give you a good boost in performance, and also be transferable to a new rig down the road.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 7, 2010, 07:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

thanks for all the advise,

I guess some of my concern is not understanding how come the 460 is so popular, is that the lower offering int he fermi line? I get the SSD(and have a few that is in target).

@bond: Convert to ddr3 does not seem like an option since LGA775 does not swing that way(while keeping the system), it seems like only two option is video card + SSD or a new rebuild.
Old September 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinik View Post
thanks for all the advise,
@bond: Convert to ddr3 does not seem like an option since LGA775 does not swing that way(while keeping the system), it seems like only two option is video card + SSD or a new rebuild.
I meant to get a system (new build that uses ddr3...phenom II/i5/i7) that would be comparable to yours (8gb ram and decent MOB) would cost a lot.

I think you should wait for the next round of CPUs and sockets to come out next year before doing a platform and memory upgrade.

460 is the sweet spot for graphics cards right now IMO. It would be an upgrade for graphics for you (though not a huge upgrade) and you could always SLI down the road. If its not enough you could always consider a 470 or hd 5870, but that will eat up your upgrade funds in one purchase. I suggested a 460 1gb and SSD since it would be a more balanced upgrade (improvements across the board instead of just in game).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 7, 2010, 07:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I think also that your best bet is to upgrade your video card. i have a e8400 and 4gigs ram and my video card is a gtx 470 and i have no trouble playing games at 1920x1080(maxed).. if you put your $400 towards a new video card you'll be happy for a long time i think.. then a year or two down the road you can put it into a new build.. your problem right now IS your video card.. look at HWC video card reviews and watch NCIX for sales and you'll have $100 or more of your $400 still left .. from the reviews now it looks like the 460 is the way to go. if you pickup one now and later down the road get another to sli them you'll be laughing.
Old September 9, 2010, 06:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd try to see if you could find a Q9400-9650 range CPU used.. it'll take your cpu bus from 1066 to 1333.. plus be more overclockable. $120-200 would be a sweet spot.
Grabbing a 460 1GB would definately be the route i'd take. About $250-300 ish.

An SSD would definately liven things up, plus a system format. FFXIV itself is 10 gigs currently, and I'm kind of doubting that a 60 gig OS drive would be enough for ya - perhaps using a secondary drive to install FFXIV on / store data would work. The OCZ Vertex2 Extended Sandforce drive is one of the best out there.. but based on budget, you'd be going with 60gig instead of 120.

I run FFXIV beta myself - and what you see is what's going to be in the release. They are doing in-game bug fixes now.. so the performance will be the same (unless Nvidia / AMD do driver updates) I run a i7 980x w/ EVGA GTX 480sc - both overclocked with watercooling.. and at 1920x1080 I still see game lag with settings on high.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.