Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Need a gaming rig ~ $700 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/35967-need-gaming-rig-700-a.html)

hagoo September 6, 2010 09:45 AM

Need a gaming rig ~ $700

Hey all,
I'm building my first PC and would love some insight. I've spent the last few days browsing tomshardware.com and the like trying to get an understanding of my options, but with the limited knowledge I have, it's been flustering. I saw some older threads on this forum which look like good builds, but I was hoping someone could help me make an up-to-date shopping list specific for my needs.

-I would like to run new games (eg. SC2, Fable 3 ) on high settings with good fps as well as watch HD movies at high resolution.

- I have $700 CDN to spend on the tower. I know I'm asking a lot for such a small price range, so if it goes over a little bit that's okay.

- I live in Canada. York Region, GTA to be specific. I don't mind buying online or in-store, whichever you guys think offers the best price with decent reliability.

- I have no particular brand preference. Whichever brand combo which will give me the most bang for my buck is what I want.

- The only parts I'm reusing are my keyboard and mouse :haha:

- I've read some similar low-budget build threads, but they're mostly outdated.

- I know nothing about unlocking/overclocking...however I'm willing to learn granted that it's worth it and theres no chance of frying my PC lol.

- I will be going back to school in two weeks, so I want to get it done as soon as possible.

- I'm just going to use my old 1280x768 monitor for now, but I plan to getting a 1920x1080 later this month when I have the money. Not sure how smooth gaming will run with this budget at that resolution, but I have faith you guys can make it work :biggrin:

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

_dangtx_ September 6, 2010 10:07 AM

hey dude. welcome aboard!

700 can and is doable.

lets see...gtx 460 768mb 200 40 dollar ps04b amd regor+giga board+4gb ram ~250 around 50 bucks for an antec 430w earthwatts . heck might as well buy some used parts and fit a 24 incher in your budget!

CroSsFiRe2009 September 6, 2010 10:38 AM

G.SKILL F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 Core i5 Memory Kit - DirectCanada
NCIX.com - Buy MSI P55A-G55 P55 ATX LGA1156 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - P55A-G55 In Canada.
INTEL CORE I3 2.93G 1156 4M BX - BX80616I3530 BX80616I3530
Buy Gigabyte [GV-N460OC-1GI] Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Fermi 715MHZ 1Gb GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E DX11 Video Card
NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM 5YR Mfg Warranty - WD6401AALS In Canada.
Buy Silverstone Technology [PS04B] Silverstone Precision PS04B ATX Black Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply - OCZ500MXSP In Canada.

You can price match all of those items at NCIX and since you're local, you can pick it up from their First Markham location or their warehouse at Warden/14th. As for the build itself, its pretty much the best bang/buck if you choose the intel path. An AMD build with your budget might be a better option but Im not too sure about all that stuff ;). The MSI supposedly supports x8/x8 pcie lanes so you'll be able to use dual video cards in the future and also has USB3.0/Sata6. I would personally look into getting a more reliable power supply such as a Seasonic/Corsair etc. but in order to keep you close to your budget, I saved a bit on the power supply but if you have plans in the future to run more than one video card, I strongly advise you to get a good psu now and save yourself from problems later on. If you want to overclock, get a Hyper 212+ for $24 pricematched, its the best value heatsink there is and performs exceptionally well at its price point.

xlilmissmjx September 6, 2010 11:23 AM

If you want to go with Intel then it would push u about $100 over, but here's my build for you.

CASE: Thermaltake WingRS 201 - Toolless 5.25in & 3.5in bays, black interior
PSU: Corsair VX450 450W ATX
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2 mATX LGA1156
CPU: Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz Dual Core LGA1156
RAM: G Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1333 4GB 2x2GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2
VID: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 768MB
OPT: LG GH22LS50 22X DVD Writer

You can decide if you want to get an aftermarket cpu cooler, like the CM Hyper 212+, now or later on when you get your new monitor.

If you go this way, you can later upgrade your cpu to an i5 760 or i7 870 for some extra core muscle :biggrin:

Good luck with your build :thumb:

fishingfanatic September 6, 2010 11:43 AM

New Builds

Not much I can add. I'm still new to building and have only concentrated on the higher end components ftm. No offense intended!!!
These guys can and will make some pretty awesome suggestions for a build that I'm sure will meet and most likely exceed your expectations. Be sure to price match, as I'm sure would be suggested at some point. Before making an order, be sure to post your final choices.
And welcome to HWC!!!
:thumb::biggrin:

hagoo September 6, 2010 12:30 PM

Thanks for the fast replies,
I'm noticing this common trend of Geforce GTX 460, I suppose that's a must-have! I like the list of links you compiled crossfire. Only thing is, is there room for a quad-core in this build without going too far over? I just don't want to see that my CPU is totally inferior a year from now. Thoughts?

_dangtx_ September 6, 2010 12:52 PM

with your budget you cant have much. the gtx 460, both in 768 and 1gb form, are very good bang per buck cards. i wouldnt get a quad now, due to budget although i would squeeze in an nice lcd. and you can.

now, theres no future proof. you can get a 1000 cpu right now and in one year a 500 dollar one will beat it or get up there with a bit of clocking.

both amd and intel will be releasing chips in not too long. 150 in cpu+mobo now is less bad than 300-350. why? because if you want to slap a 500 dollar cpu+mobo in one year, you ONLY spent 150 on your previous ones back then(now)

hagoo September 6, 2010 01:20 PM

Hmm yes you speak sense dangtx,
monitor is indeed a must - it's what I'll be spending all day looking at afterall.

I'm curious though, someone said AMD would be better 'bang for my buck'. I see you listed AMD based parts in your first reply...but I'm too inept to understand it, lol. Could you possibly write it out in list form so I could compare the two side by side?

Bond007 September 6, 2010 02:51 PM

Given your budget I would stick with AMD for the processor (an athlon II x2 will do just fine, but if there is money left in the budget push it up as much as you can or until you get to a phenom II x4 955 IMO). The sweet spot for graphics cards is definitely the 460 right now, but if your budget doesn't allow it an hd 5770 should fill your needs entirely..some of them can be picked up at a good price if you don't mind mail in rebates). Grab 4gb (2x2gb) of cheap ddr3, a seagate 500gb hard drive, and the cheapest ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard that is AM3 socket and for ddr3. Case is your call, and power supply anything corsair, seasonic, or antec earthwatts/ neo eco >400w.

No time to get you specifics now, but good luck on the build.

_dangtx_ September 6, 2010 03:04 PM

well, sometimes one must speak sense, even me right? :p

sure.

amd dual core regor based model number 240 or 250 whichever is in stock. mobo wise, if you chose ddr3 or ddr2 go for either an 870a(100$) or a cheap 785g with onboard just in case you need that too for around 75-80 bucks, theres a few models both from giga and asus that are ok, prefer the ga-785 myself

lcd wise, look for a deal but i say get either the new 23 incher from sammy or the 24 incher thats been out for a little while. for around 200-250 tax in you cant go wrong, especially if budget doesnt allow 2-3 times that for a 'better' lcd :)

edit : and yes,again,if you go duallie amd you can fit a gaming rig in that budget :)