Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
Top Prospect

Well I never meant to say that 1366 was end of line, more like "if 2011 is coming out soon, I'd rather save"

Anyways, I'm definately going to be replacing my cpu/mobo/ram. This thread has inspired me.

Also, good to know that 80-85c is within the safezone.
Old September 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
Banned
F@H

you could go higher than that and still be somewhat stable, but not 100,especially overclocked. listen to rj, he builds+pushes his stuff safely.
Old September 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Thanks Dan.....mucho appreciated..and yes, I do keep within "safe" / "reasonable" limits.....

Old September 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Uh...really......doubt that very much.........lets remember the word "respect"....
If everyone read the datasheets properly then they'd be saying the same things as I am, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you could go higher than that and still be somewhat stable, but not 100,especially overclocked. listen to rj, he builds+pushes his stuff safely.
I build and overclock my hardware safely as well; the difference is that I base what is or isn't safe on Intel's technical documents rather than things that people assume.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to keep temperatures below 85C. However, it isn't necessary, and to claim that it is unsafe to exceed that temperature is quite simply untrue.
Old September 4, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Honestly Zero...once again you are absolutely correct!

Old September 4, 2010, 03:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Since budget seems of concern, I'd say stick with the i7 920/930. Great value for the money IMO. Mine has ran 4.2GHz since day one basically without too much voltage. To get it up to 4.3GHz, it results in my temperatures going up 10C which a bit crazy for 100MHz, so I've stuck to 4.2GHz. I'm happy though, it's plenty fast and like rjbarker has said, it'll last for 1yr+.

Regarding temperatures, 100C seems all fine and well. Had to run my poor chip at that during the Indigo Xtreme TIM installation (my computer literally was silent with the SSD and passive GPU at the time). Seemed fine, downclocked every now and then, but it held fine most of the time. Personally, I wouldn't run that 24/7, I'd go with 90C max so you have a buffer in case the ambient changes or your HSF is dusty, or whatever else may happen. To each their own though. It's really up to you to decide what your comfortable with.