Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

The only thing that I would suggest at this point then, is to keep an eye on the BST threads. There may be some components that you may wish to purchase at a good discount to enhance now and add to your new build later, such as a SSD, psu,...
Old September 4, 2010, 10:00 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle View Post
The main reason is that, there's probably less than 6 months (maybe?) left until the new intel socket rolls out and that's not much time. So I see no worth in plunging into a 1356 socket board with overhaul (basically just buy a new computer lol) right now. Now if this was 6 months ago, then sure, I wouldn't mind.
I just want to "leave aside" enough money to really go all out at this point, so I'm just waiting.

I'll watch around for any good i5 deals (should really have picked up that recent one at NCIX) and probably take a swing at it. Maybe even consider adding that NB fan. My 6700 runs pretty warm right now though since my case cooling sucks hard. But we'll see. Kind of sucks that NCIX didn't refresh/restock a lot of their sold out deals for this week. =[
LGA1155 will be coming out relatively soon, but LGA2011 is still at least a year off. Since LGA1155 will basically not allow for overclocking, LGA1156 and LGA1366 are still attractive platforms for enthusiasts.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
Banned
F@H

for the added expense at higher resolutions its not worth it. ive built i7's meself sooo....:)
Old September 4, 2010, 10:52 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
for the added expense at higher resolutions its not worth it. ive built i7's meself sooo....:)
By your own admission in the past, you're not a gamer. I can tell you from experience that you're wrong. Even at higher resolutions, having a faster CPU does provide a benefit in certain games, one example being Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Games that use PhysX also benefit from higher CPU speeds when running PhysX on the CPU.

Last edited by Zero82z; September 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
By your own admission in the past, you're not a gamer. I can tell you from experience that you're wrong. Even at higher resolutions, having a faster CPU does provide a benefit in certain games, one example being Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Games that use PhysX also benefit from higher CPU speeds when running PhysX on the CPU.
I think what he means is that at high resolutions, the GPU is more of a bottleneck than the CPU.

-Plato
Old September 4, 2010, 11:04 AM
Banned
F@H

yeah,sorry. i do run 3d apps, just dont game. monitoring fps doesnt take much. yes itll make a difference, but not worth 700 dollars upgrade.

classic exemple..i scribbled on paper a build for a frend, duallie amd. oc'ed to 3.4 or so. does his thing. sure a 530 with ht will be faster at the same cock speed or lower, but if you have budget restraints, amd is still the way to go.

and even if you dont, the difference in fps/dollar spent is quite something. look it up :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I think what he means is that at high resolutions, the GPU is more of a bottleneck than the CPU.

yessirry bob!

now if you have quad 480's, dont even thing lower than i7.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
LGA1155 will be coming out relatively soon, but LGA2011 is still at least a year off. Since LGA1155 will basically not allow for overclocking, LGA1156 and LGA1366 are still attractive platforms for enthusiasts.
Oh, really? hmm.

Now I'll have to think about it lol

What's the major difference other than the overclocking limitations with the new 1155 vs the other two? Anything really new/impressive? Guess I could just google it lol
Old September 4, 2010, 11:13 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I know that's what he meant, but a slow CPU can still be a significant bottleneck at higher resolutions, which is my point. A Core 2 Quad at 3GHz will definitely bottleneck some games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yeah,sorry. i do run 3d apps, just dont game. monitoring fps doesnt take much. yes itll make a difference, but not worth 700 dollars upgrade.
FPS monitoring is largely useless, especially if you don't actually play any games (I'm assuming you're talking about running 3DMark or other kinds of canned benchmarks). During actual gameplay, there are things like AI and physics calculations that have to be performed by the CPU, and depending on the game, the CPU can make a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle View Post
What's the major difference other than the overclocking limitations with the new 1155 vs the other two? Anything really new/impressive? Guess I could just google it lol
The differences are similar to the current differences between LGA1156 and LGA1366, though not all the information is available yet. LGA1155 will have fewer PCI-E lanes and will use dual-channel memory. LGA2011 will use quad-channel memory, will have more PCI-E lanes, will have support for multi-socket motherboards, etc.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect

Alright, I think i might start looking at some pricematch and saleprices soon for a i5 setup or possibly an i7 setup. I think I've made up my mind.

/Cave in
Old September 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
Banned
F@H

actual 3d apps, heavier than your run of the mill games, save a title or two :)

if you have to go intel, try a 530 and nice lil giga board. at least you wont spend too much on cpu+mobo. oc that bugger past 4 gigs and enjoy.