Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2010, 04:17 PM
Banned
F@H

speaking from experience here. got me but a 760 build(or 750 whatever its the same) and he said yeah it feels faster but for the cash he spent? no way

open a thread in overclocking and well try hard to get that chip up to speed.

cheaper upgrade then i7 but still not worth it i think.

you could go giga+530 for around 225-250 or evga if you need sli but...2+2 vs 4 real cores?
Old September 3, 2010, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lets hope square enix optimizes ffxiv before open beta ends i doubt it that game really CPU intensive i heard. I think you should wait until next year for bulldozer and sandy bridge, save your money until then. As previously stated overclock your cpu some more that will be your bottle neck on your current setup.
CPU-Z Intel i7 2600k 4.6

HEATWARE:Tao
Old September 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle View Post
Would selling my CPU/MOBO/RAM and upgrading to an i5 system yield large improvements? (say 30-40% increase?) How about one of the 1156 i7's? I understand I won't be getting the triple channel, but I'd like to know what is the best way to spend some money so I can hold myself off. Otherwise I might just cave in and buy a whole new system around the release of FF14 lol
If you overclock the new system, then yes, you'd see some pretty big improvements in CPU-limited scenarios. I personally don't think an LGA1156 i7 setup is worth it considering the small additional cost to go LGA1366, so I think it's between an i5 system (quad-core of course) or a fully-fledged LGA1366 rig.
Old September 3, 2010, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Q6700 is rather old, 65nm tech and all. Not even a "true" quad-core, rather two dual-cores side-by-side. And you're running it on the cheapest of cheap P35 boards, so it can be expected that it doesn't clock too well.

If you can feasibly afford a i5 750/760, I'd say go for it. It'll last you for a fair bit of time IMO and I think you'd see some fairly decent gains. Probably not 30-40% though, but it depends how high you clock that i5 up. Should probably consider clocking your HD5850 as well...

Just because something new is "around the corner" doesn't mean you should suffer in the mean time There's ALWAYS something new that's coming out when you buy something. Fact is, you have to just say F*** IT and buy at some point. Whenever I look back at my receipts, I always question, "Why did I buy this at that time? Look how insanely expensive it was!" but then I just go "Meh" it lasted me for x months/years.
Most would say I bought my i7 920 at the worst time too, months after it was released, no major price differences, then a few months after prices start to drop, USB3/SATA6 comes out, the 930 comes out, etc. However it has served me very well up to now and into the foreseeable future. Sandy-bridge will only be quad-core until the end of 2011 or so when the 6-cores finally roll out. I really doubt a quad-Sandy will be worthwhile upgrade over a quad-Bloomfield.

And I suppose if the i5 doesn't yield likable results, you could return it and suck up the 15% re-stocking (or whatever) or attempt to sell it on here. Either way you should get back most of your investment.
Old September 3, 2010, 07:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Right...

I had at once 4 of those GREAT boards paired with Q6600s when I was folding hard and 25k ppd was a goal to reach. All 4 ran stable @ 3.6Ghz. The trick with those boards is to slap a fan on the NB and increase the VNb to +3. Then raise the VCore to max. 1.45V and make sure your ram is not oc'ed - the board does not like that.

I'm no gamer, but I don't see how a Quad would be a bottleneck in games these days when the GPU handles most of the work. Same goes for a SSD, I find that this component is the single best improvement to any rig - but will it increase fps? I doubt it.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Just because something new is "around the corner" doesn't mean you should suffer in the mean time There's ALWAYS something new that's coming out when you buy something. Fact is, you have to just say F*** IT and buy at some point.
+1......its never a good time to buy if yor always thinking whats coming out period! Dont get a 5870 as Fermi is launching soon....dont get a Fermi as ATI is launching the "answer" soon......don't get a 1366 as Intel will be launching new Socket soon yada ada yada.....why use old tech when new is out thier...hell I7 1366 has been available for how long now? Got my 920 a year ago last Feb.....
As far as Intel goes...new Socket out soon or not, you can't go wrong with a 1366 Tri Channel Kit.....if too much..I5...why not....or keep your CPU and get a decent Mobo to OC it.......

Old September 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Not even a "true" quad-core, rather two dual-cores side-by-side.
I thought we'd dispensed with that BS years ago, but looks like some people are still beating the horse. Does the Q6700 have four cores? Are they all in the same packaging? If the answers to both of those questions are yes, then it's a "true" quad-core. It doesn't matter if there's one, two, or fifteen different dies. And for all of AMD's bragging about them having a "true" quad-core CPU, the Phenom CPUs still got the pants beaten off them by Intel's competing "fake" quad-core CPUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I'm no gamer, but I don't see how a Quad would be a bottleneck in games these days when the GPU handles most of the work.
Games still require CPU power, and in most cases, it's not the number of cores that matter but the clock speed and IPC of the CPU.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:03 PM
Banned
F@H

1680 like you see on anand benches>? yeah ok i7 kills murders sweeps the floor and then some with the rest...up the rez a bit more? where did you money go again? :)

man its like a fool moon or what?
Old September 4, 2010, 06:53 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
1680 like you see on anand benches>? yeah ok i7 kills murders sweeps the floor and then some with the rest...up the rez a bit more? where did you money go again? :)

man its like a fool moon or what?
Unlike you, I've actually used an i7 system as well as older machines for gaming, so I know that there is a significant difference in performance with a lot of games. Looking at a few numbers on a graph in a review doesn't always give you the full picture.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Just because something new is "around the corner" doesn't mean you should suffer in the mean time There's ALWAYS something new that's coming out when you buy something. Fact is, you have to just say F*** IT and buy at some point. Whenever I look back at my receipts, I always question, "Why did I buy this at that time? Look how insanely expensive it was!" but then I just go "Meh" it lasted me for x months/years.
The main reason is that, there's probably less than 6 months (maybe?) left until the new intel socket rolls out and that's not much time. So I see no worth in plunging into a 1356 socket board with overhaul (basically just buy a new computer lol) right now. Now if this was 6 months ago, then sure, I wouldn't mind.
I just want to "leave aside" enough money to really go all out at this point, so I'm just waiting.

I'll watch around for any good i5 deals (should really have picked up that recent one at NCIX) and probably take a swing at it. Maybe even consider adding that NB fan. My 6700 runs pretty warm right now though since my case cooling sucks hard. But we'll see. Kind of sucks that NCIX didn't refresh/restock a lot of their sold out deals for this week. =[