Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Default UPDATED: New gaming rig .. i neeed your opinion please :D

Hi there, as you can see this is my first post on this board tho ive been reading reviews here for a little while now.
So im building a new system because school is starting and then the good ol' canadian winter is coming perfect time to game :D

My new rig will mostly be used for the following things (in order of importance): Gaming, music recording, school work, general use.

I will be overclocking

Here are the components that caught my eye so far please tell me what you think :D
UPDATED 30/08/10
Mobo : the newly released rampage iii formula 309$
Cpu :Core i7 930 which i expect to retail around 200$ in the next weeks because of a i7 950 price cut?
GPU : EVGA gtx 460 1gb. will sli in the coming weeks once i get more ca$h.. 239.99
Cooler : corsair H70 ORDERED! 99$ off ncix
RAM : I chose mushkin blackline retails 155$
HDD: Samsung spinpoint 1tb 73$ :D
Case: NZXT phantom red ... should retail 139 $ once its released
PSU : XFX black edition 750 watts : 117.83
DVD Drive : Whichever lol 25$

So What are you thoughts on this guys?

Last edited by azutar; August 30, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old August 28, 2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
F@H

welcome aboard.

generally good choices, 99 is a no brainer. dont think about it, get it.

nice mobo, could maybe save 50-75$ and get a nice giga instead

nice case, can save a good 40 on the 922.

since you already ordered the h70 i wont comment :p

ram wise ppl say go with gskill,stay away from ocz...i say just look for a sale.

going back to mobo,sockets..you sure you want to spend the cash on 1366 with new chippies around the corner? :)

edit d'oh for forgetting to hit post.....
Old August 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For the PSU I would recommend the 850W Seasonic on sale now. Good amount of power, especially if you plan on overclocking.

Also, see if you can find a cheaper x58 board. The R3F is a good choice, but you can get just as good at a lower cost, such as Gigabyte.

If you can afford it, get an SSD for your OS and Games, then a big ass HDD for other data. Not necessary, but would be good for boot up and load times of games

Other than that it looks good
Old August 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
welcome aboard.

generally good choices, 99 is a no brainer. dont think about it, get it.

nice mobo, could maybe save 50-75$ and get a nice giga instead

nice case, can save a good 40 on the 922.

since you already ordered the h70 i wont comment :p

ram wise ppl say go with gskill,stay away from ocz...i say just look for a sale.

going back to mobo,sockets..you sure you want to spend the cash on 1366 with new chippies around the corner? :)

edit d'oh for forgetting to hit post.....
thx for the advice, as for the mobo/cpu i dont think you can never stay up to date very long and from what ive read this is exactly why they are bringing down the price of the 950 to 300$ to make room for the new cpu therefor were looking at over 300$ for a new cpu which is kind of more then i wanna spend.. sure when they are released the 1366 socket mobo/cpu will get price cuts but im not sure i wanna play the waiting game. i can probly get a fairly long run with the R3F and the i7 930 if I oc it. what are your thoughts on this?

here is the ram i found and it looked pretty decent ,anygood ?:

Mushkin redline , blackline , ridgeback also the gskill patriot looked interesting pretty much the same price.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:36 PM
Banned
F@H

well, going by that, you got yourself a nice setup already. dont forget the 850 watter ;)

i personally like the redlines. the heatsinks are not too big, but they offer better heat disspation than some cheapo's out there that look fancier. heck, theyre actually compact to quite a few 'uber named' ones :) had the line since ddr1.
Old August 29, 2010, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

Good choice of components! Definitely go for the higher wattage psu. Any of the 2 higher would be good, with the sale item being better. I've only owned Corsair, but Seasonic is highly thought of on this site.
As for ram, the Mushkins are a great choice, though any lifetime warranty ram would be fine, G Skills, Patriot, and Corsair are 3 that come to mind. I own Mushkins and would recommend them to anyone.
The WD Black is a good HDD. I own 1 and was surprised just how fast the new gen is. Samsung's is faster, but WD is a solid drive.
The case is really nice, if you like the new HAF line, I would recommend at least looking at them. Cable management and overall roominess makes for ease of use. The high air flow keeps my 480 from getting warm, I can put my hand on it after running for a hour because with the HAF X has a fan shroud which I installed a good cfm fan in. This case has 2 hot swap HDD bays that are next gen. compatible and a pair of usb 3 ports as well.
This system will be top notch for the money, so enjoy the build and resulting unit.
Also, welcome to HWC!!!
Old August 29, 2010, 06:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks good, I personally like Corsair PSUs, they are very reliable.
Old August 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Well guys thanks for all the great comments, tho i just realized that the seasonic 850 is NOT modular which is really against all that people have been recommending lately, therefor i will have to do more looking around for the psu, if you have a specific unit to recommend let me know :D

how is this unit ?

Newegg.ca - XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

is seems to get good reviews off respected psu reviewers such as johnyguru.com

thx
Old August 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

That is an excellent PSU. One of the best 750W units on the market.
Old August 29, 2010, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the comments guys, so ill post an updated ''final'' soon. :D
As soon as i get more components in ill open an W.I.P thread with pictures to show you guys how my work is coming

Cheers