Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2010, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Default Planning my first build

Ok, hi fellow canucks.

I'm planning a new build and need some help with it.

I have this old case that I really like, i have personally never used it, as i got it with a really old motherboard in it, and a few other things.

This case has it fair share of problems. It's missing many of its screws that hold it together.
I got it without a side panel, and when i first got it, it was late night. I didnt notice it was missing screws or the panel, so when i picked it up the back panel cracked.

Also i noticed not too long ago, that it is missing a spacer to hold up a mobo in the top corner.

I am also clueless of the manufacturer or model of the case, as it has no printed names or serials on the case.

I know its needs a descent amount of work, but i really want to fix up this case and maybe start my first build.

I already received my motherboard, a EVGA X58 SLI yesterday through Fedex from EVGA, and have yet to test it out.

Im planning to set it in the case later today.

I'm just trying to repair the case to its original glory (and maybe more).

I cant find an fully acrylic case anywhere in local stores, and the only ones i have found are online, but not one exactly like mine.

If someone can at least help me it where i can find the right screws, plastic and parts to put the case back into working order, it would be great.

I have provided pictures, so it is more clear to everyone.

I will keep this updated and take new detailed info and pics, as these pictures where taken about two years ago, but the case still looks exactly the same, except that mobo in the pic has already been taken out, and the CD drives too.

Thanks,
Matthew
Attached Images

Old August 19, 2010, 02:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That appears to be a CyberHwy case as reviewed on theTechLounge.com in 2003. The company itself seems to have disappeared since then.

All I can suggest is contacting a local laser cutting and or water jetting outfit to see if they can do acrylic, and cut some replacement pieces. As for the fasteners, I'd take them in to someone like Fastenal to see if they can match them, or at least tell you the thread size/TPI so you can get matching replacements for the whole case.
Old August 19, 2010, 04:41 PM
Rookie

The CyberHwy is different as like most other cases, has the power supply in the usual top corner of the case, mine is where the fan vent the back of the CyberHwy case. Also the fans are either in a different place or different sizes. For example the CyberHwy has a plastic type covering for the fan, while mine has a chrome one.

Fastenal, ill check them out. Ive contacted a few companies that deal with plastics, but they only work with large orders.

Last edited by matthew2180; August 19, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:01 AM
Rookie

Default Screws on Order

I have contacted both Sunbeam and Logisys as they are both manufacturers/companys that sell Accrylic case.
Sunbeam were no help at all, contacted me a week after i emailed them, had to find a sales person for the company as they didn't answer on other emails. They didn't offer any type of help, it tracking down these screws. Logisys replied the next day, and after two days we had everything set-up. They offered me screws similar to the ones i needed, just not brass styling, but they look identical to the ones i have. Its just not a sure thing they are exactly the same one. Paid a small fee to buy 9 screws they had laying around plus paid for shipping, just don't know when ill get them. They are supposedly shipping them from California, all the way up here to Hamilton, Ontario. These pics are the ones i was sent, (the ones similar to the brass ones i have that hold the case together). Still havnt tested my mobo and the warrenty is lowly ticking away
Attached Images

Old September 1, 2010, 11:05 AM
Rookie

As for Fastenal, they were helpful, but my case screws were to thin to there sizes, and the mobo spacers have less threading than the do(too short). Went to two more places after that they told me to so to and each one had less and less help.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

I live in Hamilton and have thread gauges, taps,.... PM me and we'll figure it out. Love to help, not doing much anyway.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Default More detailed pics of my Screws

I have also noticed that two of the cubes that hold the screws in place, that they have broken ends of the old screws in them, and have no idea how to take them out. Both are from the side panel that used to be their, before i got it. So im guessing that the side panel imploded on itself and the previous owner eventually through it out.
Attached Images

Old September 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
Rookie

I just got the screws from logysis and they seem to fit fine, just they have smaller heads than the ones i have, but they go in fine and they seem to be the right height! :) one down, too many to go.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:28 PM
Rookie

the case will look pretty cool once you get everything set up. gonna be a light show
Old September 5, 2010, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Yea, thats what i want it to be. The screws i have received look a lot different, but seem to fit fine in the case. It looks a bit odd when comparing the original with these new ones as they are silver and have much, much smaller heads. After putting some of the panel screws in place, i noticed that there are 3 screw holes that have broken ends of screws in them, any idea on how one would remove them?

Tags
new case i7