Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Back to School Gaming Build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/35288-back-school-gaming-build.html)

Dubbaa August 16, 2010 06:37 PM

Back to School Gaming Build

Hi all / Salut aux autres !

So after doing some reading (Love HC btw) I have come up with a not complete gaming build. Budget would be about 2.5 to 3k max ( Tower + Monitor) but less is always welcomed. Not a fanboy of anything but I always had Intel and it always worked wonder so..

I'm open to change everything if needed as long as it stays in the budget.

Edited august 17 !
Case : CM HAF X
PSU : Seasonic M12D 750W
MB: ASUS P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel i7 930
CPU cooler : Noctua NH-D14
GPU: 2 x 460 VS 5970
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3
SSD: Intel X25-V 40GB
OS : Windows 7 (Anyone know if it's stil possible for students to get it at a discount price?)

Monitor : I'd love to have a IPS monitor so far the Dell U2410 would be my choice.

Bonus question : My Friend has a Acer Aspire E380 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.60 Ghz and he would like to upgrade his Ram from 2 gb to atleast 4gb or More... He Changed his Graphic card and now got a ATI Radeon 4850 HD plus a new Power Supply of 650 Watts. What you guys suggest for my friend?

Thanks / Merci

_dangtx_ August 16, 2010 06:58 PM

800d for that budget. 0r 700d. case wise

the ssd of your choice for mains,agility i think was mentioned as good bang per buck. 1tb for storage. wd,samsung.

what power supply does he have? dont go above 4850 for that puter.

rapmaster August 16, 2010 06:58 PM

For gaming at hi-res, i7 is not needed, i3 dual cores are perfect, if not a i5 quad cores are great too.
460 1GB in SLI is a solid choice.

Dubbaa August 16, 2010 07:22 PM

dangtx : Even tho I wrote up to 3k, I'd really like to stay as much as possible near the 2.5k. Both cases are selling for more 309$ and 239$ ( HAF X is 199$). Is the HAF X not appropriate for this build and are the Corsair that much better for 40$ more (110$ 800d) or could this money be either saved or invested into other parts ? I'll go read on theses cases meanwhile and thanks for this fast response already

Also, when i'll see my friend i'll ask him wich PSU he has and just to make it clear, all he wants is to upgrade is ram and not the video card ( He's also stuck with Windows Vista)

Rapmaster : Thanks I didn't know that. So buying an i7 would be a complet waste for someone who is mostly gaming, web surfing and watching movies ?

shayan288 August 16, 2010 07:29 PM

The HAF X has much better air cooling than the Obsidian 800D. People just recommend the 800D because it looks so damn good! :P

_dangtx_ August 16, 2010 07:31 PM

well i still think its overpriced. if youre going to shell out hundreds be a man and get a better one :)
if i were you? 922 all the way, can take big cards,saves you 100$ or better pm'ed, not needed with 460 sli because 'theyre so short and ugly' or something like a newbie said lol.

Dubbaa August 16, 2010 07:33 PM

Shayan288 : Yeah after a quick look on google and youtube, I saw that 800d is better for water cooling and cable management. I don't really care about the look of my case and like the HAF X anyway especially since it's cheaper. Thanks !

Dangtx : Wow thx for comming back so fast. Lol true but I'd rather save money or invest it on something else I think. I'll go check the 922 out if I can save 100$ I might even send you a 20$ as you also live in MTL :rofl:

rapmaster August 16, 2010 07:34 PM

For case, it's a matter of personal taste, you will be fine with the HAF X, hell even a Coolermaster 690 II if you don't plan to dip into water cooling.
For gaming, you won't notice much, if any, going from i3/i5 to i7, you'll have a better gaming experience investing in graphic cards or better/bigger SSD.

shayan288 August 16, 2010 07:36 PM

If it were me, I would get a nice luxurious Silverstone, or maybe a hella expenisive Lian-Li.
As for your GPU, if you don't care about PhysX, folding@home, 3D vision, and overclocking, you may want to consider an ATI card
like a 5850, 5870, or maybe even a 5970. I have seen a couple of 5870 floating around HWC's BST for around 350.

Dubbaa August 16, 2010 07:43 PM

Case : I really don't care about how it looks, hell it could have even have some Justin Biber sticker on it and I woudnt even mind ( Ok maybe a bit lol) So I really want to stick with a good case but that's it not fancy stuff with LED or shinny things all over the place thats why I dont want to go over 200$-250$ for one.

GPU : Don't care about 3d that's for sure, don't know whats folding@home so lol, but PhysX even tho i'm not sure about waht it is, I have the MAfia 2 demo and if I recall correctly it has an option for this in the setting and I really want to play this game and be mind blowed by it!

Thanks !