Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 01:47 PM
Rookie

Default 890fxa-ud5 cpu coolers

I just built a new rig and I need help with a cpu cooler. The one I bought didn't come close to clearing the ram heatsink's so I could use some advice from the community. Heres my specs.

Gigabyte 890fxa-ud5
AMD 1055T
8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1333
Coolermaster cm690 II
Sapphire Vapor-x 5870
OCZ ModXstream 600w
OCZ Colossus LT 250g SSD

I tried a Zalman CNPS10x extreme but the heat pipes hit the heatsink on the closest ram module. Frankly I wasn't thinking that far ahead and should have spotted the problem when I was picking the hardware but I missed it. Now I am stuck trying to find a small footprint cooler of sorts.

Thanks
BigShooter
Old August 16, 2010, 05:49 PM
Banned
F@H

was going to say cm 212+, but i dont remember how it fits on that board. sure thing maybe try an h50/70 ? small footprint allright.
Old August 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My MSI 790FX should have a similar placement of the CPU socket and RAM slots as your 890. I've got a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ situated in there nicely, albeit with only two RAM sticks in the outer two slots. Without the fan you could likely run the 212+ passively, and have space for all four sticks, but with that setup, you're likely itching to OC.

A better plan of attack would likely be something like this:

Prolimatech Samuel 17 Small Form Factor CPU Cooler Review

Or Corsair's H70:

Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler Review

Last edited by DkRk; August 16, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old August 20, 2010, 06:36 AM
Rookie

I tried 3 or 4 aftermarket coolers (this time I brought the rig to the store with me to test) and found most of them didn't clear the first ram bank. The vertical heatsink's on the memory are the problem. I finally found a cheapo chinese one that did so I bought it. You are correct about my OC plans, but until I can map out the tubing and hardware I will use I needed something in the short term to replace the OEM cooler. This AVC Black Samurai fit the bill and the board. Now I can feel free to shop around for my water gear and not have to listen to the OEM fan screaming away beside me. Thanks for all your great suggestions guys. Time to start shopping for water.
Old August 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

One other suggestion would be to buy another brand of ram. That's one of the many reasons I like Mushkin. Clearance has never been an issue, with a great rep. for performance and warranty it might be an alternative, thereby allowing you whichever cooler you desire. There is only one model which has such wide heatsinks that only 3 can be installed instead of 6. You'll find these in the review section. look for:
Mushkin Redline Ascent 32GB XP3-12800 C6 Memory Review.
Good luck and I hope this helps!