Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2010, 05:06 AM
Rookie

Post Opinion for New PC Build Up

Hello guys,Newbie here,I bn reserchin to build up new PC.So i needed reviews fro my specs.

Motherboard:-EVGA x58 3x sli classified(E760)
Processor:-Intel i7-980X
Ram:-Corsair 16 gb (4*4GB) 1600 MHz
HDD:-WD Caviar Black 1TB*2
Velociraptor 600 gb
siliconedge blue 256gb ssd
optical drive:-Sony Blu-Ray DVD Burner
Case:-CM HAF 932
Cpu Cooler:- CM V10(Choiced) , V8 //Corsair H50 //Noctua NH D14// Thermaltake Frio//Prolimatech Maegahelms....any better u suggest(perfromance,cooling)
GPU:-ASUS ARES (5870*2) 4gb *2 (Choiced) ..MATRIX 5870 2 gb //EVGA gtx 480 1.5 gb superclocked,,
PSU:-Corsair AX 1200W (Choiced) //Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W.....looking for 1500W+
keyboard:-Razer lycosa mirror//Logitech G150(Latest)
Mouse:-Razer Mamba,,imperator
Monitor:--Samsung 23" LED
Fan controller:-Any better u suggest ....5+ controller LCD

These are list of my specs....I Know its a heck a lot of things.......
Any suggestion,advice,recommendation would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks.
Old August 7, 2010, 05:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

First thing that jumps out at me is 4X mem sticks on a board that supports tri-channel, and a question about what you'd actually be doing with the kit that would require that much memory in the first place. Assuming that the board supports 4G sticks in tri-channel I'd think you'd be better off with 3X4G for a total of 12G, although in most cases, even 12G worth of memory is wayyyyy overkill.

If you really want/need around 16G worth of memory, I'd suggest doing a lot of research to see what memory other folks are successfully running on that board in order to save yourself some headaches.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 7, 2010, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

go for the megahalem instead of the V10, it outperfoms the V10. you'll get much lower idle/load temps with it.

and as sswilson stated already, 16GB RAM is overkill .. and since you're going for triplechannel mems anyway , get 12GB

edit: if you still prefer the V10 (for the looks or whatever), you could mod it in order to reach the level of a megahalem
Old August 7, 2010, 06:24 AM
Rookie

yeh well its alot........bit i m just going to do some virtualization on dat.....so its ok...no offence..
But i m more concerned about PSU...1200W....for 2*ARES with V10.....is it gonna handle all that.....?
I had earlier discussed with other forum...some say....its ok....some say....u should put atleast 1500W+..for all that stuff to be running
Old August 7, 2010, 06:30 AM
Rookie

well it aint for looks at all......i just had specs of perfomance for v10, at load it kicks the temp low ..so i just looking get rid of this massive v10 with somthing more cooling ,performance at LOAD.
Old August 7, 2010, 06:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyk0 View Post
yeh well its alot........bit i m just going to do some virtualization on dat.....so its ok...no offence..
But i m more concerned about PSU...1200W....for 2*ARES with V10.....is it gonna handle all that.....?
I had earlier discussed with other forum...some say....its ok....some say....u should put atleast 1500W+..for all that stuff to be running
jesus christ I didn't even see the ares listed haha one monster of a card :D

I've googled a bit and came across this benching: Asus Ares Power Consumption and Thermals | bit-tech.net this should help you

edit: the test-setup included a 1000W PSU, and seemed more than sufficient for one of those monsters. So I believe you'll be fine with a 1200W
Old August 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

It looks like you'll be building quite a machine. If you're really going to that extreme, look at the Asus ROG III.
The EVGA is a good board, but the ROG series of boards are top notch.
The memory choice is off a bit because it doesn't appear to be tri channel. While dual channel will work, in his case you'll want tri channel. Corsair does have 4gb sticks for 12gb or 24. 12 should be more than enough.
Your choice for SSD is unfamiliar to me. Consider looking at OCZ,Corsair or Intel for your OS.
I like your choice of Velociraptor HDD and would mention getting 2 of those and 1 WD 1tb. You can always add another later on.
I also like your choice of case. Have a look at the HAF X as well. Hot swappable HDD bays in the front, external. Usb 2 externals as well..It also comes with a support bracket for multiple gpus and also has a bracket for adding an extra fan behind the gpus to assist in cooling them. It also has 9 slots in the back instead of the usual 7 for multiple gpus.
For cpu cooling, Noctua or Prolimatech are good choices. I'm not familiar with the V10.
For the gpu, forget the Asus Ares as it really isn't a good performer compared to others. Check the reviews section. I would look at EVGA 480 GTX cards. Lifetime warranty helps and gives piece of mind. They also have great support in case of issues.
As for the psu, I would go with your choice of Corsair's new modular AX, however the 1000w HX would be sufficient.
As for the keyboard and mouse,it really is a matter of preference/comfort. The new Cyborg R.A.T 7 is quite innovative and adjusts to suit an individuals preferences.

All in all, this will be 1 kickass system. While it probably isn't necessary, look at Win7 Ult. 64 bit for your OS.Good luck wit hthe build and enjoy your new beast!!!
Old August 7, 2010, 06:37 AM
Rookie

Dats y i have to look for the PSU to higher 1500W
Old August 7, 2010, 06:47 AM
Rookie

Well as for Gtx 480 is concerned, i think its get to hot on load & I had a review of it with other forums its said"go Ahead with GTX 480 & melt the GPU & M/B....'n seriously..i was looking for gtx 480 earlier ...but resarchin for 480 ...i got confirmed...it does get too hot....any way
Thanks for ur review....i appreciate ur sugest'n
Old August 7, 2010, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

This has no relevance to the build but...

Where do you even go to get an ARES?

Tags
new build , new computer , new gaming build