Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

don't crossfire / SLI - just stick with one card. ignore that suggestion >.> - it just adds a level of complication that's not necessary.
Old August 3, 2010, 10:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
don't crossfire / SLI - just stick with one card. ignore that suggestion >.> - it just adds a level of complication that's not necessary.
No offense meant to anyone who does do this, but I think you just summed up what I already thought from what I have heard. I try to keep tech stuff on my PC simple -- I want to spend my time writing, gaming, etc., not tweaking stuff.

Kinda feels like a waste wanting the GIGABYTE board that I do, lol.
Old August 4, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

+1 for the Corsair psu, with the HX, as it's modular.
For cpu, if you can, grab the 1055. For the little bit extra,you get 6 cores instead of 4.
Graphics card, +1 for the 460. With a 750w, you'll have extra leeway if you go 1 card, and should be able to run 2 if you choose later.
HDDs nowadays are pretty good with 500 to 1 tb being the norm for enthusiasts and those with lots of files. The Samsung Spinpoint is a good fast drive, as well as the WD Black.
I like the CoolerMaster HAF series of cases, but it's a matter of preference. Lian Li are supposed to be a premium case, but you'll pay more. I've not owned 1 yet.
For memory, G Skill is pretty popular here. I like Mushkin but any lifetime warranty ram such as Patriot and Corsair are good too. I haven't tried this but have heard that ram actually works better if not all of the slots are filled, so maybe 2 4gb sticks, but someone who's an expert should help clarify this.
I've had 32 bit and 64 bit os, go for the 64 bit. 64 bit is more mainstream it seems these days.
Lastly, and I might get buried for this one, but from those who I've talked to, it seems if you're an enthusiast then the core i7 is the way to go. It seems that with the suggestions made by some of the others who are much more knowledgeable than me that whichever route you take, your system will surpass your expectations.
Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you, so good luck and enjoy!
Old August 4, 2010, 01:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybastilla View Post
No offense meant to anyone who does do this, but I think you just summed up what I already thought from what I have heard. I try to keep tech stuff on my PC simple -- I want to spend my time writing, gaming, etc., not tweaking stuff.

Kinda feels like a waste wanting the GIGABYTE board that I do, lol.

the thing is, most of the better boards all come with crossfire / SLI capabilities, so don't be afraid to purchase a board that has the feature. I just honestly think you're buying a board that's a little pointless for you, for the price, which is why I suggested the cheaper Gigabyte UD3 board at CC. My girlfriend has this board paired with a 1055t and I can tell you it works great for all the games she's thrown at it.
Old August 4, 2010, 04:17 AM
Allstar

If I had 1600$ to spend at Canada store, this is what I'd get, considering that you will keep your current Hard drive for pure data storage minus the applications.

Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Ultimate Gamer Case$129.99 (They didnt have the cheaper and equally as good Thermaltake A90 Armor)
Intel Core i5 760 $224.99 Asus P7P55D PRO Socket 1156 $174.99
Corsair DDR3, 1600MHz 4GB 2x240 DIMM $164.99 *after $20.00 mail-in-rebate $144.99
Intel X25-V 40GB 2.5'' SATA2 Solid State Drive $129.99 (for a 1600$ machine fudge ya! Install OS and drivers, and at maximum two games at once. When you're done with a game move it to the other drive)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 Black $434.99 ( You said 1600 right?)
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM - PCI Express Sound Card $96.99
ASUS PCE-N13, Wireless N PCI-Express Adapter $29.99
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Power Supply$79.99. after $15.00 mail-in-rebate$64.99 My #1 choice is the XFX 650W
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (OEM) $149.99

Total is 1,582$!!

You still have 18$. Might want to spend it on a bigger PSU. As you can see 1600$ is alot of money but if you believe SquareEnix and want to get the I7 930 CPU and ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard, then scrap the SSD and swap the XFX5870 for an HIS 5870 or even half that price for an EVGA or Asus 460 and upgrade to SLI later. I certainly don't buy that FF14 or even 15 & 16 won't work on the I5 760. I suggested windows pro because for 50$+ you get back up utilities and other good futures but if you don't want it, treat yourself with a nice headset. (razer Piranha or even creative WOW set) But be warned! Don't just go out and buy!

1) Ask the shop to show you the motherboard, the Graphics card, the sound card and the wireless adapter (All have PCI express)

2) put the 3 cards in their slots (I recommend sound at bottom, wireless adapter at top and graphics right beneath the adapter so the GPU fan has maximum space)

3) See if everything fits, and check if the PSU sata cables have enough length to connect to the mother board, if not get another PSU or buy a sata cable extension. +10$

Last edited by Luay79; August 4, 2010 at 06:38 AM.

Tags
amd build , final fantasy xiv , gaming pc